PDA

View Full Version : Who keeps what types of macro?

carriej
10-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone keep any macro algae?

Need to know who to pester when/if I decide to chuck some into my sump. Will they grow under low light? I was just gonna stick a desk light in there or something.

jack
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a few different kinds of macro in my tank, but if you are looking for macro for your sump i would have to say that Chaetomorpha is probably your best bet its a fast grower, requires little light and is less likely to go sexual then the runner up which is caulerpa... Caulerpa grows incredibly fast and requires more frequent trimming, on that note remember that unless you trim the algae it wont actually remove any nitrates or phosphates from your system and without trimming it is much more likely to go sexual/die which will cause all that it removed from the water to go back in as it decomposes.. also chaeto will not invade your rock like caulerpa does

Edit: speaking of chaeto does anyone here have any? i would like to add it to my collection :emoticon (17):

carriej
10-22-2012, 01:32 PM
My sump won't be big enough to make a huge difference on removing nitrates, I just want a safe place for pods. And something to slow the bubbles down, lol.

[]V[]addog
10-22-2012, 02:07 PM
go with cheato!

JoelM
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Go with Chaeto for sure! We don't have much at the shop right now, but I bet we can get a small bit over to you! :)

Derek
11-03-2012, 11:30 PM
The reason Chaeto is better than the others is because it doesn't go Asexually on you. So you really don't need to trim it. Other Caulerpas you need to trim because if they go Asexually, it will crash your tank.

We have about 9 different types of Algae at the shop in our Sea Horse Tank that we grow.

jack
11-04-2012, 01:31 PM
We have about 9 different types of Algae at the shop in our Sea Horse Tank that we grow.

PM sent.. i need a bit more variety in my macros