PDA

View Full Version : Coral shots

carriej
02-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Here are a few coral shots, taken with my iphone so excuse the quality. Some were taken with just actinics some with regular lights. I know some are LPS, but decided to put it here because of the xenia and zoas.

PS. Someone needs to teach me how to take pictures with SW. Lights make everything go crazy. Make everything all blue, or all purple.. lol

Frogspawn
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/frogspawn_zps2ed263ca.jpg

Aussie Duncan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/Duncancoral_zps8f4b03c3.jpg

Yellow skirted, orange eyed zoas
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/YellowZoos_zpsd77c6de3.jpg

Pulsing xenia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/pulsingxenia_zps7e514641.jpg

And for fun.. Fishies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/Clownfish_zps2d7950b9.jpg

RENOTA11
02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
WOW. SW is just stunning.... :emoticon (26)::emoticon (10)::emoticon (22):

Goldie
02-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Nice!! Does the frogspawn really glow like that?

muvinbird
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Amazing!!!

carriej
02-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Yep.. These are all unedited pictures. I have edited ones on instagram on my FB, and THOSE are impressive.. :)

A lot of corals have fluorescence.. Frogspawn is my glowiest one. The actinic lights make them glow. Those yellow zoas glow orange at night :)

Candycane (no pic) glows really good too... Everything glows a little, but the frogspawn is definitely the most impressive one lol

Allie
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Wow underwater aliens...that what I call corals and what not.
Cool shots CJ!

komodo182
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
much nicer than what you posted to facebook

carriej
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Quit hating, Tom!

Zachary
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
what kind of lights did you run while taking those pictures?? id love to make my tank look that great and see everything glowing!

Staceym
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Everything looks really great Carrie! I really love the frogspawn, the colouration is just so impressive! And the duncN just beautiful :)

carriej
02-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm running ATI bulbs. 3 blue plus, two coral plus and one purple plus. Some pictures I took with just the blue plus bulbs on. Actinics on steroids lol

And thanks everyone :)

Kribber
02-15-2013, 11:14 PM
very nice tank, you must be proud:emoticon (40):

Convict
02-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Very pretty, I love saltwater... Maybe one day...

carriej
02-16-2013, 12:12 AM
very nice tank, you must be proud:emoticon (40):

Lol proud that I can keep it alive! For now... Lol

And do it Suzanne!

fish lady
02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
tank looks amazing great job

muvinbird
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I must say Im still a bit shocked by the flourecence(I probably spelled that wrong...)of some of those!
I had no idea that they did that.
In real life in shallow water it must be possible to se that from the surface?

carriej
02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure muvin, I've never been to see corals in the wild anywhere. However I think it's all in the lights.

During the day when all the lights are on they don't glow as much; but as soon as those actinics click on it's amazing.

Here is an article

http://aquaviews.net/explore-the-blue/faascinating-phenomenon-coral-fluorescence/

muvinbird
02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Hm, I have to do some research...
I bet they're are visible at night with moonlight if it's shallow water.
If they glow that bright with lighting.

nickguay
02-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Corals are definitely one big part that attracted me to saltwater. Really nice shots Carrie!

Glenn
02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
That SW tank sure is shaping up for you Carrie. Nice corals!

carriej
02-17-2013, 11:50 AM
The corals are pretty teeny tiny yet, tank still looks pretty empty :) lol...

Hopefully will have some more stuff soon! A bit nervous about today though... Supposed to get some bad weather. Hopefully the power doesn't crap out on me.

RiverStone
02-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Frogspawn is stunning and I really like the rest too :) All clear with the aliens? No more recent invasions?

carriej
02-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Found a creepy little starfish with too many legs. It might be a bad one, but It's staying in one place. I'll let it live until it proves harmful lol

MikeD
03-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Carrie .... What's your take on the Xenia??? Doesn't that stuff take over tanks?? Its very cool looking ...so Ive heard!!!

Dukey88
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Mike, they seem to spread like wild fire I've heard. I have three 'trees' and they haven't given me problems. Ive never been fond of them but the boyfriend likes them? So I left them there. They 'fluff' right up when they get settled. Supposedly they drop pieces of themselves here and there and take root..same as button/skirt polyps. BUT, I had some stray buttons creep on a rock, and I used some redsea aptasia remover, and it did the trick! Im guessing if mine get out of hand, ill just cut the stocks out and try some redsea on the left over peice stuck on the rock, and see if it will work as good as it did on the stray button.

There's always a way of making things work :)

MikeD
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks Dukey!! :)

I like them to the way they pulsate is kinda hypnotizing to watch :emoticon (41):

carriej
03-04-2013, 12:10 PM
They are cool; I think like with any other coral you have to decide if you like it and don't mind the potential "take over" factor. It seems like mixed results online - some take over and some don't at all. Considering mine has been in my tank the longest out of anything; and while it has grown it is definitely not taking over. If it does, it does; but it's been in there for 3 months; and it has probably doubled in size. I would like to to occupy one corner of the tank about 10 inches.

Like anything else with saltwater; I don't like impulse buying. It's why I still only have two fish lol. I try not to put anything in my tank I don't like; or wouldn't want in there long term.

However the "cool" factor of the pulsating is wicked. Mine took about 2-3 weeks to really get going; before that it would only pulse at night. Now anytime mine isn't closed up it's pulsing.

Todd
03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
They are cool; I think like with any other coral you have to decide if you like it and don't mind the potential "take over" factor. It seems like mixed results online - some take over and some don't at all. Considering mine has been in my tank the longest out of anything; and while it has grown it is definitely not taking over. If it does, it does; but it's been in there for 3 months; and it has probably doubled in size. I would like to to occupy one corner of the tank about 10 inches.

Like anything else with saltwater; I don't like impulse buying. It's why I still only have two fish lol. I try not to put anything in my tank I don't like; or wouldn't want in there long term.

However the "cool" factor of the pulsating is wicked. Mine took about 2-3 weeks to really get going; before that it would only pulse at night. Now anytime mine isn't closed up it's pulsing.

Lol Far from an impulse buyer, Im suprised you dont interview each fish before you put them in your tank :P just kidding carrie its honestly a good trait to have in this hobby. Many people impulse buy and end up with things not compatible for their tanks.

Convict
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
How do you know she doesn't interview the fish haha

carriej
03-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Yeah Todd.. LOL.. Who says I can't speak fish!?

:emoticon (29):

DanMc
03-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Lol Far from an impulse buyer, Im suprised you dont interview each fish before you put them in your tank :P just kidding carrie its honestly a good trait to have in this hobby. Many people impulse buy and end up with things not compatible for their tanks.

Guilty.. lol I'm trying to be better this time around. But I'm a very impulsive buyer.

Todd
03-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah Todd.. LOL.. Who says I can't speak fish!?

:emoticon (29):
Haha I'm sure if anyone could communicate with fish it would be you lol :p really though I'm glad to see you be cautious about what goes in your tank it's a good indicator how successful your gonna be.

Todd
03-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Guilty.. lol I'm trying to be better this time around. But I'm a very impulsive buyer.

Lol I'm no better bud trust me!

|v|att
03-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Great looking photos and corals/fish !

I need to get a decent camera so I can take some shots of my SW jungle :emoticon (35):