PDA

View Full Version : Mail order Killifish

carriej
09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi Guys,

Some of you know I have been waiting for my killifish eggs to arrive in the mail. Well this morning they arrived, and good thing I was home because it needed to be signed for.

Anyway -- it kind of ruined my plans. I set up 6 different hatching tanks for the 6 different species but all the eggs are mixed into one container for shipping purposes.. $&%^!

Ohwell I will just break them up into 6 different hatching trays anyway since its hard to hatch too many in one spot.

Heres some pictures, the kit came with a pipette, a microspoon, brine shrimp eggs, rock salt, and the eggs themselves. The pic is of the eggs in their foil package but I took them out of that they are in a high petri dish type thing. I of course opened it and stirred it around to confirm there are eggs in there. They are extremely small, I am going to need to go get a magnifying glass so I can check them since the instructions (yes, they came with instructions! lol ) say I need to check them for eyes. I can see some eyes now (black dots) but not the big iris eye I am looking for. The hatch date on the pack says Sept 23, but it may be before or after initially.

So here's the pictures of my kit -- I also included the thailand newspaper because I thought it was neat even though I can't read it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01495.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01494.jpg

Almost all the fish are northobranchius -- which is good because they are the type I like, there is one simpsonichthys which is alright -- but I dont find them as nice and northos.

komodo182
09-13-2010, 12:21 PM
cool
did they come from ebay

carriej
09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Of course... I will be updating this thread with pictures as time goes on. I may take some pics tonight of the eggs themselves and of the system I have (downgraded this morning after I seen the eggs, I had a more elaborate set up initially) for hatching them and raising them for 3-4 weeks. According to most websites by 6 weeks of age they are in full color and breeding.. We will see LOL

And yes these are the .99 cent killis from ebay! Hahaha

Dwarf Puffer
09-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Of course... I will be updating this thread with pictures as time goes on. I may take some pics tonight of the eggs themselves and of the system I have (downgraded this morning after I seen the eggs, I had a more elaborate set up initially) for hatching them and raising them for 3-4 weeks. According to most websites by 6 weeks of age they are in full color and breeding.. We will see LOL

And yes these are the .99 cent killis from ebay! Hahaha
You paid 99c for them?!

RiverStone
09-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Can't wait to see this. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time but just haven't had the time.

carriej
09-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Yep 99 cents.. I waited until the last few minutes to make sure no one else bid. The shipping was 19 dollars from thailand so I guess it was more like 20.. but whats 20 dollars? Will see if this whole thing works.. hope it does because I have lots of time/money invested into the set up.

Might have somethin, might have nothin.. The hatch date is the 23rd so we will see.. I have been inspecting the eggs today and I don't think there is 100 like stated (however, there is quite a few and they are VERY SMALL so there very may well be, I have just been rooting around a bit at the top of the container) and checked out some eggs with my magnifier light. Some of them seem almost developed and some are considerably smaller (different species, I am assuming) some seem like they may have already hatched (!?!?!?!) because there is an empty egg case/shell behind. Its hard to see because they are in peat so obviously they are very dirty and hard to see the "eyes" I am looking for to know when they are supposed to hatch since there's all kind of spots on the eggs from the peat sticking to it. I got dizzy from trying and put them away. I will check mid-week and see if they look different..lol

Wish me luck

Dwarf Puffer
09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Luck? I hope you hatch two dozen of the little buggers and sell half of em for three times what you paid ;) Fishkeeping supporting fishkeeping for the win!

-Bryce

weeble
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
goodluck Carrie, and keep us posted :)

carriej
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Thought I would give you guys a quick update -- unfortunately no pictures. Just my boring thoughts :)

SO -- I checked them today since it's I am supposed to check them every second day. Needless to say I gotr very frustrated with trying to see ANYTHING inside these eggs. They are so small. There are a few larger ones, but the majority are extremely extremely small (here is a link, they are the little balls on the bottom of this plant-- http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Killie19.jpg) and I just couldn't see anything inside the eggs. However there are lots of eggs in there -- It just took awhile to train my eye on how to see the things. I can now tell the difference between a developing egg and an egg that either went unfertilized or just isn't as far developed. The eggs that are developing are almost an amber color, while the others are clear. Most of them are amber.

So in all this frustration today... I decided to spoon two eggs with a little bit of peat into the hatching trays -- just so I could basically see the eggs (it was very difficult to see because bits of peat are stuck to them and it makes it very hard to see the actual egg). It does them absolutely no harm to do this, and they can be redried, so if they do not hatch.. back into the peat they go. However I was very excited that once I got them in the water (after I found them again, thought for sure I must have lost them on the trek downstairs..) I seen the little EYES! With the iris and all. One looks almost ready to hatch while the other doesn't have color in the iris yet, but one is definitely sporting the gold iris I am looking for. (here is a pic of the eyes, for reference, this must be like 34389460346x magnification...LOL http://www.spacefarm.us/images/killifish_pond_img.jpg)

So I am leaving them in there for 24 hours or so and if they don't hatch I will try again this time next week (the hatch date) and hopefully I will have some pictures for you guys then, but right now I wouldn't even be able to capture anything. To see these things I have to pretty much stick my nose right in with a 4x magnifying glass -- and even then it's tricky.

Am hoping to have you guys a picture or two by late next week of some actual fry. Or atleast I hope so..

Joey
09-15-2010, 04:40 PM
sounds hopefull!

Dwarf Puffer
09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Ooooh, good luck :)

Geoff Davis
09-15-2010, 05:37 PM
You'll want to get your live food cultures up and running before you try to hatch them. Once they hatch, you need to feed them lots and lots. Like, three times a day as much sa they will eat lots. Newly hatched brine shrimp are your best bet, tossed in three times a day. If you run three of the inverted bottled hatcheries, starting a new one every day, then you'll have brine shrimp hatching every day. Killifish grow very rapidly. There is one from Uruguay that grows from hatching to over 4 inches in something like 6 weeks. If they are going to develop properly, they need to have ample access to good quality food as often as you can achieve it. In their first 6 weeks, you can not leave them unfed for a day like you can with adult fish. It will affect their growth and their health. However, if you can pull it off, its definitely worthwhile. The Nothobranchius in particular blow away every other kind of fish for colour, bar none.

Geoff Davis
09-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Another suggestion, a dollar store magifying glass does wonders for making the eyes easier to see, if you don't have access to a microscope. There is also a kind of fluorescent light with a bulb that is a ring with a maginifying glass in the middle. It is perfect for what you are trying to do, and is worth the $20 to get a good look at your eggs.

Geoff Davis
09-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Sorry, one more suggestion, in case you haven't already done so... join the American Killifish Association. They send you a book with your membership called 'Beginners Guide to Killifish'. It is worth the price of membership.

http://www.aka.org/aka/modules/content/index.php?id=57

carriej
09-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Geoff :)

I already have my brine shrimp hatchery up and running for a few days now -- I started it before the killifish eggs arrived incase the hatch date was already past or the day they got here. I have them in a home made hatchery that's hooked onto an empty tank. I also am waiting for a walterworm culture from Barbara that should be here this week. However on the first go I hatched FAR too many BBS, I had no idea I would get that many. I have been feeding them to my gourami fry also, and my threadfin rainbows really like them too.

09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Let me know if you need any help translating the newspaper. I do speak a little Thai ;)

carriej
09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
LOL Matt you are insane!

carriej
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
UPDATES:

So today was the day. The whole thing went into two different hatching trays. I tried to take some pics, I also took a pic of an almost developed egg (golden eyes) but it's very hard to see on camera.

So here are two of the hatching trays I have in the basement ontop of an old door ( lol )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01513.jpg

Here is a close up on an egg on a MICROSPOON. This is how small these stinkin things are:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01521.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01518.jpg

Close up.. Can you spot the eggs? LOL I don't even know if I can... I could see some in person but they are SMALL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01524.jpg

fishwacky
09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
so basically if they hatch, you will see them swimming in your hatching dish??, once they hatch are you leaving them in the dish or removing them to a small tank??

Fish~Monger
09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
I see one....the one beside the black stuff in the container.

Fish~Monger
09-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Nah, I actually see them, the brown stuff are eggs as opposed to the black stuff.

carriej
09-23-2010, 09:55 PM
lol I can only spot one egg.. its in the right corner almost... its got peat on it.

Fishwacky, I am transferring them via turkey baster to other trays just like this one except they are filled with java moss with aeration. I will keep them there until they are big enough to sex. probably 6 weeks.

carriej
09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
OK.. So I thought for sure in a few days I would be reporting this as a no go.. BUT.. I so far have TWO fry.. I am pumped lol

Anywhere he's a pic of one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01536.jpg

Can you see him? look closely :)

Joey
09-23-2010, 11:13 PM
CONGRATS!!!

carriej
09-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Up to 4 fry and counting :) I see lots of little tails wriggling in the peat but I can't catch them until they get off the bottom. Out of the 4 I caught I noticed a few things. Two of them seem very well developed, their swim bladder is full and they are active and picking off the moss and eating some walterworms. The other two are still trying to get off the bottom, one guy seems to be making progress. I HOPE I see 4 strong fry down there tomorrow morning and many more in the hatch trays to go into the grow out trays... We will see.

carriej
09-24-2010, 09:11 AM
As of this morning all 4 are still alive. They swim away from the spoon if I get too close to them.. So I am assuming they passed the swimming test lol.

I didn't really have time to look for any more in the other trays before work, but I put a small amount of walterworms in each just incase. I know that there is more in there (hoping that there is more in there!)... but it takes like 10 minutes of staring at nothing until you see one as they are hard to see against the peat.

DevonC
09-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Very cool i was wondering what happend to the killi's , how did i miss this thread lol

Dwarf Puffer
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
And so it begins.

carriej
09-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi guys,

The total alive/eating/swimming is 5 as of now.

carriej
09-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Just an update for today since I am doing this kinda like a journal (if you guys haven't already figured THAT one out lol )

Anyway, Today I strained the water from the hatching trays along with the peat through coffee filters. After that I gently squeezed the water from the coffee filters, then opened the filters up. I laid them out flat so that the peat can dry and I can store it again for another few weeks and hope for more fry on the 2nd "wetting".

As I was spreading the peat out so it would dry quicker, I inspected any eggs I came across. A lot of them (my guess would be in TOTAL I have about 40 or so eggs left.. maybe less) had partially developed embryos inside. I take this as a good thing, as I do have several species in there and they have different incubation times. I am hoping for a higher hatch rate (from what I have read, the 2nd wetting usually yields more fry than the first) next time.

And as for the fry, all FIVE are well (as far as I know) they are eating walterworms (even though I can't see them eat.. they must be because they are not born with a yolk sac and would quickly die) swimming and investigating the vast dish they are in. I have noticed several differences in the fry now that I am used to hunting for them all the time. Some are lightly colored, while some are darker.. Could be of no significance but we will see. On thursday I will post a pictures at their one week old state. Apparently they will be bigger by then... But they are still extremely small and I can not express how small... The lighter colored ones I cannot even see their tails unless I use a magnifying glass, I just see two eyes.. lol

Anyway, it would be awesome if even from all this work I could get a pair of the same species, then I could breed, incubate, and continue the cycle and have a collection of what I think are beautiful fish.

Will be updating this thread on Thursday with pics of the fry at one week, and hope that they are bigger :)

carriej
09-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, may be posting my first casualty tomorrow AM :(

One little guy is struggling -- don't know why. I noticed he was lame compared to the others yesterday, but this morning he seemed good to go and was swimming. However most are very timid and when I come around they dart under the java moss and this guy was just floating.. I scooped him right up into my microspoon and he still never moved. Thought he was gone, but then he started "fitting" as I call it. Swirling all wild like. I put him in his own hatch tray with a clump of moss and everything. He's moving but.. Just looks gray and light colored compared to the other four. I really hope I don't lose him as I only have 5 and would like to keep all 5. Will post pictures on Thursday of one week old fry (who may or may not have grown.. they still look small to me!)

Will see what happens..

Montrealguy
09-29-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't keep annuals and have only bred and raised some a couple of times, but you may want to dig around online and look into lightly salting your water. I'm not sure how much salt would be suggested for your water. fry in peat are very prone to attacks from velvet (Oodinium sp) and at that size, you simply can't see the parasitic infestation. I've had it hit both Aphyosemion and livebearer fry, and it's reputed to slaughter Nothobranchius.
I think with 4-5 fry it's more dangerous as it's hard not to overfeed, and dead bbs really seem ideal for jumpstarting velvet. Sometimes, a fry just dies, but small containers and brine shrimp (the perfect fry food) can be trouble. Velvet dies in even mildly salty water.

carriej
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi Gary, nice to see you posting on here :)

I did salt the water slightly because I read that also... This guy has always been a runt but he ate this morning so I have no idea what's wrong with him. He might be just deformed. The more I look at him the more he doesn't look right but he is too small to really see. His eyes look off too, he may be blind. I am not feeding BBS to these guys until they get a little bigger, they've been eating walterworms. I also had a heck of a time with bbs a few weeks ago. The new batch of eggs I bought just must not be good because I am having very few hatch.

However the other 4 fry are doing very well, and I finally got that little female poliaki to start eating. The others are starting to have better appetites too but they definitely don't get excited over food. I threw some hornwort in the tank the other day and the striatums are very interested in the hornwort.

carriej
10-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Quick update -- Not a good one.

I promised a picture of one week old fry on thurs but disaster struck and I lost a little guy. I wasn't very happy fishing his little body out of the container.

So all seemed well and I thought I would do the best with what I had and still had four fry.

Well ... disaster struck

This morning I fed them, and all four were swimming (they are all surface swimming now, HORRAY!@) and they began picking at the walterworms and whatever.. I left and went to work. When I got home from work and got everything settled in the house I went back downstairs to check. 3 were swimming at the top minding their own business... Then I noticed something. These fry were dark when born, now they are almost white... I noticed the one I lost turned white. I am not happy. I also have one fry missing. I am assuming he is dead as I looked for a good 15 minutes for him, the other fry may have ate him for all I know, or he is clogged up in the moss I have in there somewhere.

They look... fuzzy, but they are so small it is hard to tell, they just don't seem as defined. I am thinking velvet as it is prone, but I salted the water immediately once they were in it because I knew about it beforehand.

I am not happy about this at all.. I am crossing my fingers that I don't lose anymore.

If all goes well I will take some updated pictures tomorrow, and maybe one or two of you could throw in some words as to what you may think is going on.

10-03-2010, 03:18 AM
I got my fingers and toes crossed for you :(

fishwacky
10-04-2010, 02:20 PM
oh no i hope your babies survive

carriej
10-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys,

Definitely seem to be down to three.

They are however seemingly strong.... They no longer like me ( lol ) and when I go near its a quick dash into the moss, so it's hard to tell but they are usually out before I go down there and three is all I have been seeing.

I took a picture but couldn't get one as good as that initial one I got -- and the fry are still pretty see-through. Hopefully they will be a little bigger soon.. I'm looking at pictures of nothos on the internet at 6 weeks and they are very developed. Hope my guys aren't stunted or something because they have a LONG way to go in 4.5 weeks....

Next time I hatch (hopefully get lots with the second wetting early next week) I will be more prepared for the size of the fish and maybe just let them be. I have been paranoid and disturbing them a lot and probably causing more harm then good.

carriej
10-06-2010, 10:15 PM
SO pictures finally, as you can see.. they are I would guess about 5x as big as they were two weeks ago.. Well, they will be two weeks tomorrow.

Still small judging by the writing but atleast I can spot em pretty quick and don't have to hunt em down!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01568.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01564.jpg

carriej
10-08-2010, 08:46 AM
As of this morning all three are doing fine, and two of them seem to have had a growth spurt because a few days ago all three were roughly the same size, one was maybe a bit bigger but not much. Now two are considerably larger and darker than the smaller, lighter colored one.

Will update again shortly -- am thinking about checking the eggs and wetting the remaining peat this weekend or early next week so keep an eye out for that

carriej
10-10-2010, 01:04 PM
SO... :)

The babies got their new digs today.. a whole 2.5 gallons lol

It was amazing to finally see them swimming and interacting with their environment instead of just looking down at them from a dish.. I'm hatching a small amount of bbs which should be ready tonight because I am eager to watch them chase them.. I am such a dork! haha

Will update with a picture whenever they get big enough to see properly.... And tomorrow or tuesday the rest of the peat is being soaked.. SO hopefully will have some more babies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01570.jpg

carriej
10-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Well I'll be darn lol

I wet the peat today.. Threw it in about an hour ago, and I already have one teeny little fry that I can find!

Now.. Last time I fed exclusively on walterworms until pretty much yesterday.

This second batch I'm trying on BBS.

Weird thing happened.. I put some bbs in the tank because they do not have a yolk sac. At first I thought the BBS was actually eating the fish.. because I would see it MOVING on the fish. So I panicked of course. I took the little guy out of the water, got my magnifying glass out.. and fry are pretty much clear.. what I was seeing was the BBS moving INSIDE HIS STOMACH. Horrendous! It has since stopped moving (the bbs).

BLECK

Anyway.. Little fella is eating and tearing limbs off BBS. he/she/it seems larger than the first fry.. However I do have 6 types in there so who knows what this one is. Hoping I can update tonight with a lot more than 5 like last time.. but who knows!

fishwacky
10-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Wooooooo Hooooooooo Congrats, Cant Wait To Hear Tonight

carriej
10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Still just the one fry.. But I got some good (for me lol ) pics of the fry on a MICROSPOON. These buggers be teeeeeeny tiiny. I pretty much need to wait until Eric gets back from his man date (hockey pool... ugh) because last time he found 4/5. I don't have the patience to find the buggers and usually end up swishing the water in hopes I will spot one. He spots them like a pro, and he doesn't even like fish..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01576.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01583.jpg

carriej
10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Up to four fry now. Hopefully more in the morning!

carriej
10-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi guys, am up to 7 fry! Pumped I got more this time around... I know there's more in there to catch but I was getting cross eyed... lol

Hope to catch some more tomorrow morning, then the peat goes back into the container for one more drying period.

carriej
10-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know my first batch of fry (the initial 3) are now 4 weeks old and doing very well! Finally look like little fish and not almost invisible wriggling eyelashes! lol

I can't tell if I have males or females yet, but by my "research" I must have done something wrong. I look at pictures of 5 week old killifish and they are fully colored and much larger than mine. I don't know what I may have done wrong, as I fed them multiple times a day and kept their water clean. I'm stumped.

Anyway -- Will see what happens I suppose. Also my chances of getting a pair out of this number of fish is slim -- considering I have a mix of 6 species, aswell as a high female ratio, and only 10 fish to work with.. But again, we will see what happens!

Also still have the 7 from the second batch (a little over a week old now), and they are doing very well, they seem to be stronger and growing faster than the first batch, and these ones are exclusively BBS.

Here's a picture of one of the 4 week old fry taken tonight,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/fish1.jpg

carriej
10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Sad to announce a first casualty on the second batch of fry, which really stinks. I was expecting to lose one of them.. he/she is A LOT smaller and doesn't seem to swim right, and it's eyes look wrong, but that one is still with me and I lost one of my bigger ones with darker coloration.. POO

However one of the fry in the second batch is very large.... easily 10x the size of the other fry.. He is going into his own dish tomorrow.

Joey
10-24-2010, 10:00 PM
sorry for the loss. Hopefully the big guy makes it!

carriej
10-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Hopefully... All in all I have 3 left from the first batch, and 6 from the second batch.

carriej
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi guys,

Little update -- and to share my stupidity...

The good news is, the 3 older fry are doing EXCELLENT, they are beginning to bicker a bit now. However, i think I may have 3 females, but only time will tell. I am judging by body shape, but some of the male species are thick like the females so it's hard to guess what I have.

The bad news is.. I'm a bit of an idiot lol

the fry in the sandwich dish obviously don't have a heater.. I was basically letting them in room temp water, which was working fine... Until

I go in yesterday morning with my bare feet to feed the fry, and... my foot hits the floor and it is COLD. I have a moment of panic.. check the water.. It's freezing. My fry are all not moving, I swished them around, nothing. So.. I floated the dish inside the open top heated tank and most of the fry start moving again. However I did lose one of the smaller ones, and one has a problem.. He's twirling, I think these are the ones they call "belly sliders". I knew there was something up with him.

Anyway, so I still have 5... However I think I will end up with 4.

Will post some pictures sometime soon, I am hoping the older fry start to get some color... I think I see some blues around their gills but it could just be in my head.. LOL

carriej
11-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Just a small update. The three oldest fry went into their permanent home today, my 30 gallon trophy style tank. They are still small, but I can see them from a few feet away now (think month old livebearer fry) They all look exactly the same. Kind of a dark blue/gray color so we will see what happens. I think they are all female but I am hoping this is not the case. I just fed them and had a great time watching them eat, they are full of personality already, and I see some bickering happening between them.

The second batch is doing well and are soon going to be moved into the small aquarium with filtration, as soon as the littlest guy gets a teeny bit bigger they will go in. I have 4 (I think). Pretty sure I lost that whirly one but I'm not so sure... As they change their colors easily (from light to dark) and I get confused.

carriej
11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
UPDATE AND PICS!

Hi guys,

All three older fry are doing great and growing -- still no color so I am beginning to believe I have three females which is unfortunate -- but hey, what can ya do! Younger fry have been moved into their own actual tank and silly me forgot to turn the sponge filter down, and they all immediately got sucked to it.. However as soon as I turned it down they swam away from it unharmed.

Here are some pictures, a few of the older fry, and a few of my adult a. striatum and juvie a. poliaki.

Fry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01625.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01624.jpg

A. striatum male (first pic) and female (second pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01632.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01636.jpg

Juvie male a. poliaki.. This little dude is just starting to get some nice bronzey coloring! Do not ask me what happened and why it's all furry.. But he is FAST and hard to take pictures of!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01639.jpg

happy_pitbull
11-06-2010, 12:20 PM
What an interesting thread !! I love these journal type threads :P

Grats on ur success, good job and thanks for sharing this !!

Min

TT
11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
amazing.. i wanted to order some eggs and try it but i got triop eggs instead as i figured that my son find them cooler

carriej
11-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys! It's been quite the journey. Despite being a small fish, killifish are slowly dominating my "fish room". I now have 4 tanks for killifish alone...

It has also been one of the most frustrating, rewarding, and down right exhausting things I have done in my whole fish journey that begun 6 years ago!

A lot of time is spent with the fry initially, drying and rewetting the peat, packaging it, not to mention looking after the actual fry once they come.. But I learned a lot and it was great. I think killifish are in my house to stay. I have kept fish from pretty much every category and got bored quickly and always switched my fish around, but the killifish have kept me interested. I am hoping once I either breed my adults or I -hopefully- get a pair from the annual killifish some members on here will be interested in keeping them... I would love to see others take an interest in these awesome fish! It's great because they don't require a huge tank. A 10 gallon can easily hold these guys, they are similar in size to a guppy.

carriej
11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Sorry for the double post but I am EXCITED..

I can now confirm one of my older fry is indeed.. MALE! woohoo :)

Now let's hope one of the females is from the same species...

fishwacky
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
congrats Carry , i havnt tried my peat that i dried out, to see if anything hatches, never think of it, maybe tomorrow lol

carriej
11-11-2010, 11:22 PM
New pictures, finally some little fish that are easier to photograph!

Enjoy! They are getting some blue coloring.. One guy has black splotches or something on his back.. No idea what species still, all the finnage on the three large ones seems the same thus far aswell. They are saucy, aggressive little buggers sometimes too. They are little fish with big attitude!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01687.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01684.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01683.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01682.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01679.jpg

carriej
11-23-2010, 11:07 AM
UPDATE: I've been in bed since my surgery on Friday, and this morning was the first morning I was feeling well enough to venture into the "reading" room. I got a nice little surprise...

We are finally seeing some color in these cuties :) I have two males of the same species, and one female.

Out of the second batch I am pretty sure I have one nice female and two that also may be males, not sure. one in the second batch is very very strange...

SO here the be :)

little male
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01699.jpg
female
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01700.jpg
the other male
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/DSC01696.jpg

PS.. I am in need of a larger live food, walterworms are getting too small for them and I need something bigger. If anyone has anything that they could send me with instructions that would be great. I can't get these guys to eat chopped bloodworms or mysis shrimp or anything, they want it alive...

carriej
12-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi Guys,

This will be the last update for these particular killifish. (nothobranchius from thailand)

I notice some of them are dropping off now, becoming slow and eventually the other killifish will simply kill them. They become very clueless... This was my last male that I scooped out today. I don't know what happened to them but he looked perfect last night.

I am upset that I never got a chance to breed them, and have a continuous supply of these little guys and then everyone could have some. It just didn't happen for me.

However -- I still have two different species of non annuals I plan (trying) to breed... You guys will be the first to know if I am successful.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/zygirl22/killi.jpg

EDIT: I just did inventory and I guess I do have ONE other male left. He however is not near as big or as colorful as this guy was. Will see what happens. Big guy is still ticking, moved him into a "specimen" container to see if he pulls through. Else the others would just have eaten him.

jmartyg
12-27-2010, 02:43 PM
So that's their normal life cycle? I know some live for months, other a lot longer...but not enough to say much.

carriej
12-27-2010, 02:56 PM
These guys were born in Sept. I am not sure about their "normal" aquarium life cycle, but in the wild they only live for a few months. However I made a lot of mistakes along the way of raising them and the past few weeks I have been struggling to get them to eat, they are also really aggressive towards eachother and I would constantly catch the bigger ones dragging the smaller ones around. They also came from EBAY so who knows what kind of quality I was dealing with in the first place.

Non-annuals (which I also have) live longer and I find them more beautiful. I have two different species of these and I am hoping to have some success soon with these guys in breeding. They came to me as adults from MontrealGuy at the end of the summer. They are very healthy and robust but they are eating their eggs before I can collect them, and the ones they don't eat I'm not having any luck with getting them to hatch without growing fungus.