Thread: Hogchoker. I think.

Hogchoker. I think.

Hey all, I used to come here sometimes but I stopped using my email address and now I can't get my password so I just made a new account.
    Anyway, I'm in Quebec, I speak no french (I'm from NS), and the aquatic society equivalent out here isn't super english friendly, and you guys are always very helpful, so here I am. I hope you let me stay, haha....

SO. The reason I'm writing is because I got a hogchoker a few days ago (At least, I THINK that's what it is)...It was being sold as a freshwater flounder....
    If I can post a pic of it here, I will.
    Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this at all? It's actually difficult to find information on them online, in terms of keeping them as pets, so any information anyone could give me would be appreciated.
    :)

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5030_n.jpg

Re: Hogchoker. I think.

Also, this is the very first time I've ever picked up a fish without knowing ANYTHING about it...but I had store credit, an empty tank, enough time to care for whatever it needs, etc.
    I fell for it, they were so cute and unique! I know that it will probably slowly need to be in a more salty environment, and I know a tiny bit about their diet....but anything at all you guys know, I'd love to see.
    Thank you.

Club Supporter

Interesting fish, but I honestly have no clue what it is! Maybe someone will pop in with some help.

ECAS member

Interesting purchase!

These fish are generally known in the UK as freshwater soles or flounders. They are sold as novelty fish, but unfortunately are relatively difficult fish to look after well. All are shy, nocturnal, and have a distinct preference for live foods. Due to their overall shape, they cannot compete with more active or aggressive fish, such as catfish or cichlids. Most of these fish tend to end up starving to death.

Habitats for these fish differ but they all require plenty of open sand at least 2 inches deep as they need to burrow. Avoid multi-coloured dyed sand or fine gravel as these fish can change their color to enable them to blend into their surroundings. Ornaments, rocks, and plants can be used in tanks containing freshwater soles, but place them at the edges so that plenty of open sand or gravel remains. Freshwater soles are intolerant of low oxygen levels and will swim to the surface and ‘gasp’ if the water is not adequately aerated (mine did not like my Co2!!

Feeding can be tricky. I have used a combination of live bloodworm, tubifex (the fish can be weaned onto these foods but it takes time as I slowly add frozen worms to live ones). White worm can sometimes be used if you are breeding it but I find the fish prefer other worms.

The good thing about these fish is that they are hardy and bombn proof! They do not seem to be as prone to diseases like whitespot as many other aquarium fish. Neither do they seem bothered by high levels of nitrite or ammonium, at least over the short term. Some species like a good current in the tank. You can wean them onto small pieces of prawn and squid, and live foods such as earthworms and river shrimps, but it is essential to offer these at night once the lights are out and the other fish in the tank cannot feed.

Can your supplier tell you which ones you have? Most, with the exception of some one or two species, prefer slightly brackish water. I have kept that in water containing 1 ˝ teaspoons per liter.

Ah, thank you for all of that information! It pretty much cements all the tidbits of information I've been finding perfectly.
    I have one main tank, which has a bunch of things: bladder snails, MTS, apple snails, red cherry shrimp, 3 longfin albino bristlenose plecos, 2 african dwarf frogs, a few small mollies, one platy, a bunch of guppies, and a dwarf gourami. They all get along and play nice in there, but because of the frogs, I can't put too much salt in that tank. The second issue with having this cute hogchoker in with them is just the fact that the bottom is gravel, there are several live plants, and many ornaments, and I think between the gravel and all the snails, Mr.(Or Miss) Sole would be quite uncomfortable. That, and the odds that he/she just wouldnt make it to food before someone else ate it. It's a very beautiful and healthy tank, for them, but from what I knew even from reading the day I brought him/ home while he was still in the bag, not the sort of thing that would be ideal for him/her.
    I honestly have no idea WHERE the petsore I got him from was called. I had 2 other tanks set up the day before this fish swam into my life: A fry tank for all my baby guppies, and a tank which had been full of about 200 golden apple snails, who I was just trying to grow out so that I could get rid of them. Nobody here on kijiji really wanted to buy my snails, and those of them who said they did, almost never showed up. SO, the hassle wasn't worth the buck a piece I was looking to get for them, so I was able to put the last 50 or so I had into a bucket and shut down that tank. My fry tank was also ready to be shut down, as I had had about 50 guppy fry and they looked miserably crowded in my breeder box, so a 5 gal was set up for them too. By last week, most of the babies in there were big enough to survive everything with no problem in my main tank, so this tank also became free for me to do what I wished with it.
    Anyway. my only friend in this entire province, who I DID meet on kjiji about a brown mystery snail, ironically enough, takes me to pet stores a lot. And she took me to one, I walked in with my snails, and they gladly took them and I asked if I could get a guppy or two in return, and he said oh yes, so I got a guppy, and a molly for my friend....and that was it. We were on the way out of the door when my friend looked at where the snails had just been put (Huge planted freshwater tank), and then she saw the "Freshwater Flounders'. And when I saw them....I immediately asked if I could have one of those as well. And he gave me one.
    So I took him and I read a bunch about them and concluded they need sand, so I bought a bag of blue sand simply for the fact that I wanted to see him (I suck, huh?). SO I came home with him, read more, and set up his own tank just for him (erm, or for her). And it's just a 6 gal (For now!), because he isn't even an inch long yet. And I put in this vivid blue sand, I planted one small plant, and I put in 3 guppies, because I know it's not like my guppies are going to bother him. Anyway, he just burrows all the way under the sand and he's consistently a dark brown color, so I know he's probably bummed out about the sand being a color he can't match...and I am going to try to fix this tomorrow.
    Also, the only food I have here for him are frozen bloodworms, and I don't know if he's eating, because, of course, I put them in, ON his head, if I can, with a turkey baster, and then I turn off the lights and go to bed. The guppies can't eat ALL of them, and I'm doing a quick clean up in the mornings of left overs, So I did take into consideration as much as I could.
    My real problem is going to be getting him to eat. And personally I have a problem feeding something living to something else. I just do, its like, Anti-God complex (I don't want to be responsible in selecting or controlling who lives or dies). I'm also going to go and get mysis shrimp tomorrow....Even hurting daphnia (I KNOW, It's ridiculous), would bug me. So. I hope we can come to an agreement, him and I, on his dietary choices. I'm okay (borderline) with frozen live food....But yeah. I'll work with him if he'll work with me! :)

:)

ECAS member

Thats awesome!

Awww boo! The guppies (I think thats what those were) jumped in and stole some of the blood worms :P

ECAS member

love it but i thought they were brackish