Thread: Importance of knowing your fish food and fry

ECAS member

Importance of knowing your fish food and fry

I have had the good fortune of raising quite a few fry over the last couple of years and I noticed something recently that reminded me of the importance of knowing the properties of the food that you feed.

Many of the africans I raise are slow growers and like all africans can be prone to gorging themselves if given the chance. As with most things, my error came hand in hand with the best of intentions. When they reached a decent size for fry (1 inch or so) I would switch them over the small pellets. Recently NLS. I feed NLS to all of my adults and it is a great food. However, I began to experience a strange phenomena. Sudden fry death of healthy looking fry.

They'd be perfectly healthy and then shortly after feeding be in clear distress before dieing. This was not an overly common occurrence, but it happened enough to be what I would consider abnormal. It took me a bit before I managed to link it back to the food in my own mind. It was rather puzzeling at first since the frontosa I purchased had been fed pellets from the supplier and they had not had any complications. However, I had 3 deaths. None the less I switched over to the suppliers diet for them and it stopped.

Now, NLS and the new diet would be what I consider to be the same quality, so that raised the question of what was up. I finally got off my lazy butt tonight and did a bit of a test. I saturated an NLS pellet in water for 10 minutes and compared it to a dry NLS pellet of the same (dry) size. It had essentially doubled in volume. The other diet was put through the same test and it had minimal swelling by comparison.

I had always fed dry food, but this is a rather painful reminder to either soften your dry food in water first or know it's properties. In this case the swelling was enough to kill my fry with the NLS.

NLS pellet (dry in red)
    Click here to enlarge

The other type (dry in red)
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Interesting. I've always switched my fry over to NLS and never thought anything of it. Although mine were probably a little larger than an inch when I did the switch. I've never experienced any problems. Rainbowfish are notoriously slow growers as well. Certainly something to keep in mind for the future though.

ECAS member

they are probably not gorgers either >_<

It didn't happen with all of my fish, but it occurred enough for me to notice the trend.

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

No rainbows are piggies. So much so I worry that they are going to choke themselves sometimes. They stuff their throats with pellets and hord them until they have more room. I started some larger omega pellets and now you have me wondering.

ECAS member

I have thought about that myself with pellets and even more so since I bought Hikari cichlid pellets for my Oscar. Once a pellet is water logged it is at least 2 times bigger then in the dry form. It would not take many pellets to fill up a small or large fish. I most say I have been concerned that my O was not getting enough food since he just picks away at a few pellets at feeding time. But once seeing how big the pellets get once wet then I am more at ease knowing that he is getting a pretty good meal.
    It does make sense with small fish that problems can arise do to the pellets swelling up and over loading the stomach capacity of wee fish. Interesting post Sapphire :)

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RiverStone Click here to enlarge
    No rainbows are piggies. So much so I worry that they are going to choke themselves sometimes. They stuff their throats with pellets and hord them until they have more room. I started some larger omega pellets and now you have me wondering.

I would be tempted to let them soak before feeding, or try the same experiment I did. I had dismissed it as not overly concerning before now and I paid for that. :(