Thread: Crazy Idea.... think I might need sleep

ECAS member

Crazy Idea.... think I might need sleep

(woohoo , I'm the first to post in this new section!)

thanks to Carriej's fish list post,and J.J's marine predator post, I keep thinking of fish I would like to have but won't work in my tank cause they're either not reef safe , predators, too small I'd never see them ,etc.

was thinking 4 separate tanks but one body of water.....???
    I have a 5 foot 90 gallon tank I'm not using, and today I salvaged a huge pile of 3/16" glass panes, thinking of setting up a FOWLR tank/tanks setup

any reason I can't do this, (lol aside from my own skill set)

excuse the poor "windows paint" drawing ,not perfectly proportional, had to get it out of my head before I lost train of thought :)
    Click here to enlarge

predators on top and .... whatever in the middle 3 ,

Club Supporter

There is an H shape tank for sale on kijiji here for $50 dollars. Might be able to add that into your madness somewhere LOL.

This seems interesting but I can't visualize with that picture...

What are you connecting them by?

ECAS member

haha I saw that "H" the other night,

I was thinking I could drill between them and pvc pipe on an elbow to control the water level until water gets to the sump,..... theoretically it works in my head, hard part for me is cutting the glass

ECAS member

Going crazzzzyyyyy here....LOL

ECAS member

Im not following the picture, Im a word girl im afraid. is the top tank your 90g your talking about,plumbed into 3 little tanks then to the sump??and you have a return outside of the tank? like a blowhole pump?
    plumping a system like that is more then easily done. depending of course on space and things like that.. if i am semi understanding the picture at all.
    Click here to enlarge

this is my fish system at my store, its done somewhat like your drawing. large comparts on the top, the middle is divided into 5 compartments, then it goes into the sump gets skimmed and all that magic then plumbed back to the top.. is this somewhat what you are thinking or did i completely miss your intention.. perhaps a short paragraph explaining your thought process:) either way its NOT crazy and works very well enabling you to technically keep a bunch of completely uncompatable fish/corals in one system.

Looks good.

Based on that layout of the overflows, it would work.

ECAS member

That setup should work just fine.Just dont put any type of sand sifting fish up in the top tank so you wont have a bunch of excess sand flowing down into the other DT tanks.

ECAS member

depending on where u put it... it might be loud. but i say DO IT!lol

ECAS member

No need to step down the smaller tanks you can keep them all level and just connect them with pipe and the the last one drains to a sump.