Thread: Algae ID and other things.

Club Supporter

Algae ID and other things.

Sorry for the bad pics folks, but they were taken with my Iphone.

One is a weird algae (yes, I know what they look like...) that is white with green end and has little hairs on it.

Click here to enlarge

And one is what I think is an algae, it's like vein pattern algae - bright red in color and I see it on the glass and rocks.

Click here to enlarge

Another Q... Most of my algae is white???? What is this? I don't have a ton of algae or anything but it's weird seeing white algae. I think it may begin green then turn white.

I also see these tiny dark amber colored balls floating around my tank. They have little hairs also. Remind me of a dandelion seed in a way. There is A LOT of them so I hope it's nothing bad or I'm doomed.. lol.. Chromis don't seem to want to eat them either.

I also see these little fish scale shaped brown things on my glass. Flat, might be a worm or something.... U shaped.

Among 100's of other weird things, but these are the things that have me stumped.. I found found most things online other than this stuff. I went down the other night with a flashlight and now I'm scared to put my hands in there after what I've seen... Lol

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Ahhhh the weird and wonderful of a salt water tank. All the neat stuff you find is one of the reasons I would love to have a salt tank. Even if you found out what most of your aliens are I would still love to see them. You should start a thread highlighting the weird and wonderful creatures of Carrie's salt water tank.

Club Supporter

Lol most stuff is too small to properly photograph (with my Sony cybercrappydoodle anyway) and some stuff disappears as quickly as I find it. However I may make a thread... Just for entertainment purposes lol. Lots of fleshy things lately which is a bit creepier. When everything was algae/plant based it was interesting. Now I feel like I have spontaneous generation taking place with all these small organisms floating and swimming about.

ECAS member

First pic looks like it could be spionid worms, check with a google search. The flat worm like things you are describing sound like flat worms lol, I think these can be bad, google them as well. HTH.

Club Supporter

Found the algae. It is Neomeris annulata. I took a few off and I knew it was plant material of some sort. Weird algae.

Wonder how I can get rid of it.. lol

As for the worm, I think you're right.. And some are very bad indeed :( .. Pooper. Some are harmless, and they all look the freakin same to me.. LOL.. So I don't know what to do about that. Anything eat those things?