Thread: Todd's 265G Reef Build

ECAS member

Todd's 265G Reef Build

The time has come for a new tank build :). When I first opened Maritime Reef I was so busy at the shop that I didn't have much time when i got home to enjoy the hobby for myself. Because of my lack of time I decided to take my 180G to the shop to use as a display tank. About a year ago once I had the shop a little more organized and a little more time on my hands I had decided to give a 93g Cube try. I wasn't long realizing that the foot print just wasn't for me. Not only was it not large enough for the fish I like to keep, there just wasn't enough room under it for the equipment I wanted to use. So I scrapped that tank and decided to wait until I could take on something a little larger. Well that larger tank has arrived and I am preparing my basement for my new 265 gallon build. This is something that wont happen over night. I dont expect to have water in it for at least a few months but I will be documenting every step of the build to share with you. Anyway thought i would share a picture of my new 7' tank :)
    2652.JPG
    Last edited by Todd; 01-08-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Club Supporter

I wish my tank was that big now... LOL...

What are you putting in there?

I would love to keep some of the larger tangs but even my 125G (which seemed large initially, now seems small) is too small for them.

ECAS Member

Nice, I am very jealous of your tank, it will look awesome :)

ECAS member

Thanks guys I'm really looking forward to it but still a long road ahead before I put anything in it. I wanna do this build to perfection with no regrets of doing something half assed. I have been planning the sump room etc for months so I know exactly what I want. Stock list will be made up of mostly tangs, anthias, and wrasses. However there will still be other random fish. I will definitley have a pair of platinum clownfish and possibly a second pair of phantoms. As for coral 90% sps there will be some LPS but my main focus is sps. And Carrie you are right tanks always seem too small once you get them going. I dream of the day I can build my own house around my 500G reef lol

ECAS member

wow, really looking great, will be nice once all done..:-)

ECAS member

BOUT TIME!@

ECAS member

Niiiiiice, that's the exact tank we'll be upgrading to after the wedding. Any thoughts on what you're going to be running for lighting over that massive SPS tank?
    33g Planted Tank, Dual T5HO (6500k/actinic blue), Fluval C3 "sponge/floss stuffed" HOB filter, Eco-complete capping Red Sea Flora substrate.

ECAS member

Thats going to be a great build Todd! congrats on the new tank I look forward to watching the build on this one!

ECAS member

Lighting will be LED. Because I want and love the clean look of open top, pendant style Led's such as radions, mitras, or vegas just weren't an option. I want a light that is an all one unit, has a sleek design, and because you will always be looking at it, it must look good. I looked at the new Giesemann Led fixture but they only come in lengths of up to 5'. Unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of options for 6' LED fixtures but fortunately for me Vertex does make a quality fixture that is exactly what I am looking for. So after much thinking and research I have decided to go with a 6' Vertex Illumina 260. I really like the look of this light. It has lots of great features. And I love that I can add, upgrade, and replace the LED modules in the fixture with ease.
    Last edited by Todd; 01-09-2013 at 03:17 PM.

ECAS member

ECAS member

Definitly would be my choice given I could afford them hahaha. People look at the pricetag of the Illumina's and think people would be crazy to buy them, but do the math, a 6' Illumina is roughly 3500$, and will cover 7-8' for light output. To have an equivalent comparison to say Radions, you would need 4 for the same coverage. Now with the Illumina, you can easily swap out a few boards to add say UV (which I would definitly suggest for SPS), whereas with the Radion you would have to buy their Radion Pro fixtures, which would run you 1000$/piece (4000$ total). The remaining 500$ difference would pay for your UV chips for the illumina. So all in all, they cost the same. Given the sheer sleekness and asthetics of the Illumina, I would definitly choose it over the Radion Pro's (since I wouldn't want 4 individual Radions hanging when I could have 1 solid fixture.) Definitly a solid choice. I would also mention the sheer programmability of the fixture, but Radions have a pretty sweet program as well so they sort of cancel each other out with that point. The other nice part is, 1 Cord!!!!! With the Radions, you'de have 4 cords ;-)
    Last edited by Ameron; 01-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    33g Planted Tank, Dual T5HO (6500k/actinic blue), Fluval C3 "sponge/floss stuffed" HOB filter, Eco-complete capping Red Sea Flora substrate.

ECAS member

Trust me I weighed the pro's and cons of just about every light and this just seemed to be the one for me. and i will more then likely add the UV but wont be until everything is running. I originally thought when you bought the UV or Red modules you had to take out the original led modules and replace it with the upgrade which i thought was a waste but you can add the upgrade modules and leave the original ones as well. I think its going to be an awesome light!

ECAS member

Very nice looking tank Todd. :-) :-)
    formerly mddoucette

ECAS member

Nice tank! I look forward to seeing this build as it progresses Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Some more goodies arrived on friday for my new build :) Feels just like Christmas. It's funny the look you get from your wife when you call them your new toys. Anyway got 4 dosing vessels 2x 2l media reactors from vertex. Their new product line is sick! Definitely some of the most well made equipment around.
    Last edited by Todd; 02-26-2013 at 04:38 PM.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge

Owner

Very cool toys :) They looks very sleek.......bet you can wait to get it all hooked up lol
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

Club Supporter

Those are pretty Todd, LOL

ECAS member

That is going to be one awesome salt water tank.
    90 gallon Discus community
    65 gallon tall SW under construction to be setup this fall

ECAS member

They are very pretty lol :) and no I cannot wait but will still take quite some time before its ready. The tanks been sitting on the floor for 2 months already and I don't expect to see water in it for atleast a couple more. I am however getting much closer to being ready to build the stand. I had to put up a wall to separate my office from the kids play room. Then layed all new sub floor. Painting is almost complete then I just need to lay my hard wood and then I can start my stand. Can't wait to just get the tank out of my shop and into my house!
    Last edited by Todd; 02-27-2013 at 12:50 AM.