• Brackish

3 2.86%
  • Salt

51 48.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fresh or Salt?

ECAS member

I also have both. I have had fresh for years and a salt for only a month so I don't know which is better!

ECAS member

fresh for me
    500 gallon fowlr tank

Scrubber lover #2

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Freshwater for me. Possibly brackish someday, probably no salt

ECAS member

In my experience as a store owner, I found that many people move to salt because its new and exciting. However, once the electricity bill goes through the roof and finding they constantly have to spend money on the basics such as salt, people tend to rethink. A good friend (who had both) said "After a forty minute water change I get to sit in front of the tank and appreciate it for the week. I constantly fiddle with my marine tank for an hour or two every day to ensure everything is spot on or else everything can die.!

ECAS Member

Wow Hugh.... your friend must have had quite the tank... I do one wc a week on my 110g... if i had a sump full of macro and an even bigger protein skimmer it would be even less.... so about the same time as the fw... mixing salt takes a few minutes...You just put it in the bucket with water and a powerhead and leave it. I clean the glass maybe once every 2-3 days.. takes a couple minutes and fix some corals that were knocked over... a couple minutes... yes it's a bit more time but I wouldn't say that... as for the electricity with LEDs now it's not even that much of a concern... $10-15 more a month than a fw light... maybe.... I don't know what your friend was doing in there for an hour or two a day

ECAS member

I have both fresh and salwater but prefer saltwater :)

ECAS member

Updated response from me;

I'm a reefer! I have down FW for YEARS, dove head first into SW in 2013, and haven't looked back... It is SO rewarding!
    Mind you, freshies will always hold a special place in my heart, but SW is amazing. The fish are gorgeous, corals are SO much fun... Even the inverts are a riot. I love, love LOVE it. Won't be looking back. The only downside, is it is a little more devastating when you lose a fish, or something goes wrong. Mostly due to the cost.... But still, so worth it.

Club Supporter

I'll think I'll wait to answer until this new endevour has a few month on it, if I havent got a heart attack first... :)

ECAS member

I like both but i have all fresh water

ECAS member

I prefer salt by far.

ECAS member

I like both salt and fresh. I would like to setup a brackish tank as soon as i get a few other projects crossed off my list. I don't know how anyone could choose a favorite... Its like asking a parent to choose between kids lol

10g Cherry & Crystal Black Shrimp//33g Guppy Tank//33g setup for Green Terror//33g setup for Tequila Fish//33g Blood Red & Green Jewel
    55g Mbuna Cichlid//29g QT//55g Heckel's Thread-Finned Acara//46g Apistogramma Panduro//90g Angel & BNP​//​120g Saltwater//120g Fresh Water Community

ECAS member

Most of mine are fresh, at one point I had a 72g bowfront in our bedroom that was brackish and another 20g brackish in another room with dalmation mollies. I had knight gobies, a mono and 2 puffers in the 72, set up with rocks, roots, branches.. it was beautiful. Then it leaked all around the seam when we were not home - total flood and mess. And I lost my little buddy the Mono, I loved that fish, and my 2 gobies. I moved my puffers to my 20g brackish with the mollies. Now I don't have any mollies :( but the puffers were well fed I suppose. Someday I will have another bowfront like the one I had.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12