Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did YOU get into the hobby?

How did YOU get into the hobby?

Im curious to know how you got into the hobby....

Tell us your story!

Banned

May 2006 a friend gave us a 5g with 3/2 yr old goldfish. Researched them, realized a 5g was much too small for 1 let alone 3 goldfish. While researching discovered Betta, and other fish. The rest is history...can not see me without a few tanks going even when I am old & gray.

Club Supporter

We had been talking about getting a small tank with some small fishes for a while.
    I always wanted a tank but newer got around to it.
    But as a coincidence we went in to the hardware part of the recycle market store, wich we never do.
    And just inside the door they had a 30g tank with every thing+more for about 55bucks, and as we looked thru it, one of the guys came running and said: take it and you'll get it for 35, then he lowered it to 25, so we just had to have it.
    The amazing thing is that we got the Brillux tank from there also, and even cheaper.
    So now we have 4tanks, with fish ,shrimps and snails.
    And loving it!

ECAS member

When my son turned 1, a friend (and avid fishkeeper,) gave him a tiny 2 gal plastic tank with filter and light built in. With a goldfish, whom we kept til he froze mid winter because we went overnight to the hospital when I had my second son and my roommates weren't responsible enough to keep a fire going. Click here to enlarge

Anyway, for whatever reason when we up and left, we brought it with us. We set it up with 5 serpae tetras. Which then I felt it was too small for them, so we upgraded to a 20G, which quickly became a 29G. I then bought a 55 that came with a couple africans. Then I was REALLY hooked! So then there was Willy, this decrepid little oscar you might recall.. Who was also my gateway oscar. I bought 2 10Gs to bust down my 29G community, where willy was kept as he was bullied in the 55. I then sold the 10's with the fish (and our original serpaes,) Bartered for another 55, sold the 29, moved willy to the other 55, and kept it awhile. Then I sold my 55 african tank to BUBBLEGUPPY (being the enabler I am,) and then got the opportunity of a lifetime when I bought the 160. Rescued fish til I hit capacity, with 4 oscars, 3 jack dempsey, a flying fox, a sailfin pleco and a midas cichlid, (then some) sold the 55 willy WAS in, and that was it. Because I promised my husband no more tanks. Then as luck would have it I WON a lovely little 6G hex from finatics, which I tried my hand at shrimp keeping... (It was awful with a murderous hungry betta on the prowl) So I gave it to my little cousin who has some fantails... I just sold the 160 this week... And the shock still hasn't fully set in..... I am aspiring to get a decent sized tank once we're comfortable in Ontario, and I aspire to keep and potentially breed Axolotl. Very exciting.. Looking forward to see where my fishkeeping goes from here.....

ECAS member

Found a old 15g in my basement in july and i thought it would be cool..

ECAS Member

My boyfriend often talked about Bronson the Oscar of days gone by but I was never interested in having a fish tank... Last November he asked if we could get one and I said sure but as long as he took care of it... well the 55g as set up.... and then we bought a 10g, then a 20g, then a 70g, then a 56g, then a 45g, and then an 8g... all since November of 2012... and the original 55g became a 125g. We did sell the 55g to my parents so we don't have that one anymore. All of these extra tanks are my doing, i was instantly hooked. Now I'm the one that is cut off and can't by more tanks... my bf created a monster haha. I just love how different every tank and every fish is... if I could I would have much more :)

ECAS member

Always wanted fish, finally got a goldfish from walmart, put it in a bowl of course that didn't last. Paid way to much for a 1.5 gallon, got goldfish again, that didn't last.

Went to a second hand store, there was an old 15 gallon with extras for 15 bucks, woman at the counter thought it was too much so I got it for 8 bucks, got goldfish again, they finally lived!! Did some research, finally! Got a bigger tank, sadly it was too late for the poor goldfish, they were too far gone, they died, so I turned it into a community. Had some plants with the goldfish, but with a community tank I really went a little wild and here I am.
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

Super Moderator

My family (mostly my dad) always had fish tanks as I was growing up, so for me a house is not home without a tank. To compound this, my first job was at an aquarium, where I cared for the section dedicated to endemic critters, which given that we lived in Bermuda contained some really nifty fish (like a lovely killifish which only lives in a few ponds on that tiny island)! I have always had at least one tank going, despite having to move quite a bit as my husband and I got our educations and got settled.

After my daughter was born (May 2012), and I knew I would be working from home for the foreseeable future, I decided to get back into fish-keeping (and aquatic plant keeping which has always been a big part of aquariums for me) in a much more immersive way, since it relaxed me, and made my living space beautiful. Taking care of my aquatic worlds is a healing activity for me in many ways, and one I cannot be without. So now I have a 65g, two 30g, a 25g, three 10g, a 6g, a 5g, and a tiny 2g. Now that I have converted my husband, I am going to have to be very self controlled or before long the house will be completely full of nothing but tanks!
    Last edited by Redherring; 02-10-2013 at 09:35 AM.

ECAS member

About 19 years ago... I was 8 and got my first fish bowl. I put two male guppies in it. We decided to upgrade them to a 10 gallon tank which I think my parents got me for my birthday. We got some books and read up on how to keep small fish, learned a little. Tried some new types, mostly livebearers and tetras but also angels, gouramis and bettas, all as you can imagine with little success! We later started having terrible issues with algae which got my parents really frustrated with the "Ugly tank" which lived in our kitchen. Grossed my father out. Also we were just thinking about moving to a new town and they didn't want to transport the fish. I was told no more new fish and when the last of them died, the tank was dismantled and stored.
    When I was 17 I asked my parents for the necessary supplies to start up the tank again. Got them for Christmas. Stuck to tetras and when the old light burnt out and we replaced it, we had an easier time with the algae problem from years before. Those tetras lived for about 8 years in that tank.
    3 years ago hubby and I moved into our own place and were required to take those fish with us. We set up the tank and quickly realized we wanted bigger, got a 55 and stocked it with cichlids, started reading more and more, and now here we are with full blown Multi Tank Syndrome! Although my mother still wonders how the heck I keep my tanks so clean... "Why couldn't we keep it that clean at home!?" haha.

ECAS member

I always admired fish tanks, never had one. Asked hubby if I got one, would he take care of it? Getting close to fish to me was like touching a bug, it was an irrational fear. A few years of asking, he got me a 20 gallon :) Very quickly got over my fear and looked after the tank. What helped was having a gourami, very cute personalities, didn't know fish had personalities!
    Today I hand feed the fish, I don't even worry about getting nipped. Still scared of bugs though!
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

ECAS member

My cousin had a 32 gallon tank with anglefish and tetras and when me and daughter visited I always stared at the fish tank, so relaxing. She had a yard sale one day a lo and behold a 10 gallon tank with all the extras for $10.00. And off to the pet store we went. Got a Gold Gourami. neon tetras, etc.. Got to realize that the fish were too big for the tank and bought a 32 gallon which we set up in the livingroom destining the 10 Galon to be a night light for daughter. Then you know how the story goes. Now we are up to 6 tanks and still going strong.

ECAS member

my aunt had a 55g tank when i was little i would go and just sit there for hours just looking at the fish and helping whenever i could with the fish then one day i was told they were moving away i was very upset i did not think the fish would be ok
    my parents got me a tank 10g to make me happy but ended up with a 20 when we left the fish store

ECAS Member

I bought my first tank when i was 17 it was a 10 gallon with the stainless steel frame brought it home on my motorbike Was very interesting lmao but i grew up with them my father kept them so that is my history on tanks have had many but my favorite one now is my 66

ECAS member

For us it started because we wanted some for the kids to enjoy, so about 30 years ago, kids were 4 or 5, started with a 30g with angels, tetras, placo. after 5 years I stopped for a few years then got back into it a few years later and been in it ever since.

ECAS Member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kribber Click here to enlarge
    For us it started because we wanted some for the kids to enjoy, so about 30 years ago, kids were 4 or 5, started with a 30g with angels, tetras, placo. after 5 years I stopped for a few years then got back into it a few years later and been in it ever since.
    Do your children now have tanks of their own?

Banned

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Allie Click here to enlarge
    May 2006 a friend gave us a 5g with 3/2 yr old goldfish. Researched them, realized a 5g was much too small for 1 let alone 3 goldfish. While researching discovered Betta, and other fish. The rest is history...can not see me without a few tanks going even when I am old & gray.
    Added note: we also took in the 5g for entertainment for our kids aka the cats(& us). They got bored with the fish tanks fast though. Soon realized we were paying more attention to the tanks than them. Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

How did I get into the hobby.... Hum..... well I found my dad's old 20 gallon guppy tank in storage and pulled it out and put it in my house next door to his house my first fish was an Oscar which obviously outgrew the tank. I didn't know it would I was very new to the hobby and the PU staff didn't ask or offer advice

I gave him away and dabbled in fish with the one 20 gallon for the next two years ending up finally with a 0.54 cent goldfish and Gia grew and grew Hurricane Juan hit I was without electricity for 2 weeks some trees ripped the lines right off my house the power company rolled them up and restored power to the rest of my street. I managed to get my betta to Richardson's on sackville drive where we was loved on and kept warm and filtered and loved but Gia I tried to pour water into his tank from high above to oxygenate his water but I eventually lost him. I cried, I did, I cried over a goldfish.

Within a few months of that the person I gave to oscar too said take him back or I will have to release him. O.O And so I went out plucked a 90 Gallon from the shelf of a pets unlimited and had my uncle build me a stand. I brought home Red tiger oscar Niq, I some after acquired a Calirus catfish Naq (Whom might still be around I gave him to another ECASer) and a Jack I named Lee

Niq Nac Lee

Anyway I was then finally hooked, bitten by the bug, tanks everywhere! and I mean everywhere a 50 a 75 and few 20's some 5's betta's I couldn't stop.
    Mya the Missing,

But the cat comes back, the very next year...

Good friend got me into the hobby. One 30 gallon turned into two, and then a 90, then another 38 hex. Today, it's 16+ tank and over 300 fish.

ECAS member

My Mom bought us a 10g when I was 10, I was the only one who showed interest. So it ended up in my room. Ill never forget my first fish either... a green severum we bought at Wal-mart... man I loved that fish. I will get another one some day.
    65 gallon reef (early planning process)
    10 gallon high tech planted
    29g planted

ECAS member

I use to catch memos as child but could never figure out why they all died , after i married my husband took me to a pet store in Halifax one day the one on quinpool
    they had so many nice tanks so we bought a tank set it up and wet back for fish.
    20 gallon with neon's molly's sword tails we had that tank for some time until we moved to Valley in fact .
    Then when kids came along we had no tank for while there was no store in our area but then a pet unlimited moved in to spot in local mall so we again bought a 20 gallon then got a 45 .
    Currently i have 55 gal 40 gal a 45 tall and 20 gal and about to set up a 90 so guess you could say i have the bug
    Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by melita; 07-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast