Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond thieves

ECAS member

Exclamation Pond thieves

Pond thieves is a polite way to put it, last year in my small pond I started out with 6 goldfish and ended the year with three.

I had a cat fishing in my pond and eating my pond plants!! And then a raccoon came in to fish from my pond. It got so bad one night the cat and raccoon got into a horrible skermish in my back yard over territory and MY POND. MINE!! the raccoon was strong enough to open every pond cover I created.

Then one day I forgot to take the cover off and I had a HORRIBLE algae bloom. I had to go with a hard cover with a huge cinder block on it to keep the damn coon out.

Not impressed, any idea's to help me out this coming pond season??
    Mya the Missing,

But the cat comes back, the very next year...

ECAS member

you could try piece of mesh horizontally around the edge may work

ECAS member

What a pest!!! I'd be pretty p-off :(

ECAS member

My pond

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Mya the Missing,

ECAS member

before the plants, this is day two of install
    Mya the Missing,

ECAS member

So this being some you can see, and knowing how strong those beeping coons are any suggestions?? the plants go above the water by about 6 inches for the tallest floating bulb
    Mya the Missing,

ECAS member

Raccoons don't like deep water so you could always change your pond (they like to stand in water and fish). If that isn't something you want to do you could always try a scent to deter them. If you can find a predator scent (hunting shop and a scent Raccoons would know) to put around it would make them uneasy and less likely to fish. You shouldn't have to put it very strong for them to get nervous so it wouldn't bother you. If you can't find a scent you could try some ammonia, just a little in a bottle with the lid off or try vinegar. Not sure if the vinegar would work at your pond but it worked on my veg garden :). And of course plants, plants, plants. The more cover the better. The only time (knock on wood) I ever had trouble with a raccoon was when I had clams in the pond. As soon as they were gone so were the raccoons.

Super Moderator

IMO nothing will stop a Raccoon other then catching and moving it MANY MANY MANY miles away or extermination. They are incredibly intelligent animals and very good problem solvers. Not to mention quite stubborn and determined creatures. If it's found something it likes it'll keep coming back. I doubt any scent or chemicals will deter it , fences wont do a thing, a complete cover will get in the way but if you ca open it then chances are the raccoon can too lol

Electric fence might help, I've spoken with others who have had some success with it, one wire a couple inches off the ground and another a few inches above that. Basically make sure the raccoon doesn't fit under it, can't jump over it and cant jump through the space in-between without a zap.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS Member

I can't help with the racoon problem but your pond us super cute :)

ECAS member

There's nothing that can be ddone with that pond in that situation....maybe a peice of plywood over it at night bit I doubt it.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

My suggestion is to make a 2 x 4 frame and completely cover the sides and roof with chicken wire... and double it up. I'm unsure on how to keep it weighted though.. maybe flare out the base at the bottom so you can weigh it down, or use spikes to secure it to the ground.

This is little more of an extreme measure, but it should do the trick. I'll also allow for the pond to get the outside air, and insects for fish food etc..

ECAS member

very nice pond! I have no idea what to do to help you with your critter problem...I would set up cams and watch the raccoons though. lol

ECAS member

Nothing a 12 Gauge and a flashlight cant fix ! :)

ECAS member

I can't shoot at the raccoon but I am not afraid to throw apples at them, fills the 'terds' up and gets them to move. Although I got growled at last year dunno if it was the cat or the coon I like the electric fence idea just a few inches above the level of the pond and all the way around the outside, not unsightly and something can turn off and on and leave there
    Mya the Missing,

ECAS member

I'll post pictures of my fence :D I don't know if they sell them on such a small scale but I'll be looking around
    Mya the Missing,

Super Moderator

Farm supply shop's should carry electric fence wire and the unit itself.

Be careful with tossing apples or anything at them, every interaction will only make them more comfortable around people. Raccoons can become very aggressive, if they loose fear of you they may start to become defensive over food or even attack.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS Member

If you throw apples at them they might just think that your throwing them a snack hehe

Every consider just trying out a big blue tarp and covering it with rocks? Take it off come daytime. IF its big enough it might confuse the Racoon and the cat.

If you have a dog, let it run around the pond and the scent would make them think twice about coming around Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mya lynn Click here to enlarge
    I'll post pictures of my fence :D I don't know if they sell them on such a small scale but I'll be looking around
    Save your $$ .....unless you make it 2' high with wires every couple of inches they'll just go over it or under it. Unfortunately your pond is just a large food dish for them. Plywood or rigid wire mesh cover is the only way
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

I was thinking a 4 inch tall boarder around my whole little pond they can't go under or stand over top of it without a ZAPA

As for the apples if you hit them in the butt they get mad and leave I usually pick the apples up in the morning I did it twice last year. and the Coon is already aggressive about my backyard. and the the cat I mention is not mine either, it's someone elses -.- Mine are responsibly kept indoors
    Mya the Missing,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast