Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Basement Sump, looking for feedback

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by diggler93 Click here to enlarge
    thanks everyone for your feedback, it's appreciated.

For a return pump, I do understand that I will need a big one. Was thinking an external, potentially a Waveline 10000. At about 12ft it will do 1600 g/h but offers the ability to adjust the flow from the pump. Likely looking to get between 1200-1400 g/h.

As for the back siphoning. I would like a check valve, however I have read so many horror stories about them I'd like to not use one. If my calculations are correct, my return lines will be no deeper in the tank than 4 inches deep. If you calculate the volume of water you get 20 gallons. If my sump is operating at approx 25 or so gallons at normal operation, then it could easily accept that amount of water if the power goes out, eliminating the concern.

At least that is my hope :)
    You may want to look at getting a much larger pump...1st off all manufacturers over rate thier pumps output. This pump is only rated at 2640gph @ a zero head, so it may only do 2200gph. Then it has a max shut off head of 16' at which point it won't pump any water....you're talking about a 12' vertical head going through a 17' return line ...the return pipe alone will add almost another 2' of head along with what ever fittings you have in the line, especially a check valve...they all add to dynamic head. I doubt that you'll get much more than a trickle out of the pump with this set up, let alone the 1200gph that you want.

Also use sweeps or 45* anywhere that you can as 90* cut flow
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by diggler93 Click here to enlarge
    the overflow in the sump is certainly possible, and in my situation is very easy to do as the drain is about 2 feet away. This will be my backup plan, if I find that the sump can't handle the return volume. My hope is I won't need it.

My thought was putting a 1" bulkhead with piping as close to the top of the sump as possible, then running flex pipe right into the existing drain line. That drain line then exits the house. Is that how you were thinking to do it?
    yup exactly, it's probably not necessary but I always think worst case.....what if....

(I was also planning on a large auto-top off , was worried the valve would fail)
    Last edited by demon4bbl; 04-05-2013 at 01:08 PM.

ECAS member

Any recommendations on a pump that would accomplish this if the DC10000 won't? Looking for something efficient and external.

ECAS member

I thought of a few more things last night but you seem to have considered them all, like piping an overflow on the sump to the drain. And taking the volume of the plumbing into account also.

Sounds like you're on top of it. Can't wait to see some updates..
    I sold my soul... for corals..

ECAS member

I'm not familar with with reef pumps so can't help there, but what you need to do is add up the total dynamic head that the pump will have to handle...this will be the vertical height, return pipe lenght, number of fitting/valves etc and then look at the flow curves of the different pumps and find the one that gives you the flow that you want....remember that flows are over rated

ECAS member

I was looking at the flow chart for the Waveline pump. The way I read it, I thought I would be okay.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

The flowcharts are made for a straight lift, I'm not sure how much each elbow affects it though to be honest. Looks like you'd be at about 5500 l/hr which is around 1450 gph. I'd say you're in the right ballpark for sure. As long as the pump isn't rated higher than the overflow you're fine.
    I sold my soul... for corals..

ECAS member

According to that flow chart you are at about 5500l/hr at 5 meter's (15') of vertical head. This works out to 1320.86 gph. This doesn't account for any loss in fittings or pipe. Like Graham says, every fitting has a calculated flow loss, this is higher in valves. When you take into consideration that these flow curves are determined in a lab somewhere, under specific conditions and the best results are translated into the documentation to sell pumps, your flow rate is going to be a lot less. This pump produces about 1500gph at 16' head http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/p...in_as4700.html. This pump has a good flow curve and would fit your needs. http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/p...e5-5mdqsc.html. Here's another http://www.reefs.org/library/pumps/p...2900seq21.html.

I assume since these are at reefs.org they would be suitable for what you are doing.

This Excel spreadsheet may help you calculate your exact requirements a little closer. It allows you to count fittings and pipe and head etc.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...XUIyNG1GbdBHzw
    Last edited by Coyote251; 04-05-2013 at 04:10 PM.

“I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving:
    To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it, but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

ECAS member

thanks for the pump suggestions, I'll take a look

ECAS member

I can vouch for the Sequance pumps as I and many others use them for our ponds and while they are slightly over rated on thier flows they still deliever lots of water and the are reliable.

http://www.mdminc.com/Sequence.aspx

ECAS member

Well I was able to drill my two overflows and returns in the tank this weekend, and give it a coat of paint.

Click here to enlarge

Next step this weekend is drilling the return and sump lines in the living room floor.

Official ECAS vendor

Fun fun...I have a sump in my basement... I have an Iwaki55RLT and it does a great job..1100 GPh i have 7 -8 vertical climb and a 6 horizontal run.

We have some DC10k pumps at the shop if you want to come have a look...not running with that type of head pressure but I am pretty sure they will do the trick, one consideration is the DC pumps are having some issues we had one just cave on us and a power supply died as well on one.....

On my new build I will be doing a ReefLow blowhole...nice inline adjustable pump that is efficient to run and proven to be a workhorse!

let me or Cory (AFK) know if you need any info :)
    AFK Reef Supplies
    902 446 7800
    Mon-Fri 10-6:30
    Sat 11-6:30

ECAS member

Very cool project! Can`t wait to get my SW tank set up this fall.
    90 gallon Discus community
    65 gallon tall SW under construction to be setup this fall

ECAS member

Did some research and those pumps do look nice. Small foot print, low wattage for the flow rates. I will certainly look into them further when I get to that point. Right now I'm starting to look at the baffles I need for my 50 gallon sump. Here is what I'm thinking:

Click here to enlarge

Looking at a Octopus skimmer that needs about 9" of water. Two returns, one split to give separate flow rate to the refugium. So each section will be 17.25" wide. I think that leaves me enough room in each section. Plan on using 1/4 polished edge glass, radius on each corner that touches the bottom of the tank. 1 inch gaps between the bubble traps. I'm thinking of trying to mount a piece of glass to the frame of the tank above the inlet section, drilling two bulk heads to mount my intake lines but don't know if the glass will stick to the abs tank with normal silicone.

Anybody see any issues?

ECAS member

for anybody wondering about cut glass for sumps, Dave and Admiral Auto Glass has reasonable prices and knows his stuff. They are cutting me my baffles, polishing the edges and putting dime radius on 4 of the corners that will sit on the bottom of the tank so that it joins with the existing tank silicone.

Official ECAS vendor

All is good ....the return in the center is small you will be doing top off frequently...just fyi.
    AFK Reef Supplies
    902 446 7800
    Mon-Fri 10-6:30
    Sat 11-6:30

ECAS member

Well now that summer is winding down and I have some more time and I'm back to work on this project.
    So sustain the additional weight I have braced the floor that will support the tank above.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I have also mounted my Radions into my top by using some aluminum bars I modified, painted, and mounted with stainless steel screws. Routed the wires and installed an external USB connection outside the top on the far side which will be towards a wall to plug in my laptop incase I want to make adjustments. Wish I would have known they were going to come out with the Reef Link module to do it wirelessly.... oh well.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I also completed a stand for the basement sump. Still has to be painted grey but holding off until I get my external pump and figure out where to mount it at the front of the tank. Also need to silicone the baffles I have in place and drill some holes. Currently waiting on an order from BRS with some plumbing items; bulkheads, gate valves, and some unions.

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

So I will have two 3/4" returns, each one split with locline. I'm still up in the air on a pump, but I believe have narrowed it down to two.

Waveline DC12000

Reefflo Super Dart Gold.

I want to also run a 2-3 outlet manifold I will build.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast