Thread: Hair Algae issue

ECAS member

Hair Algae issue

Hey! First time poster from western PEI. After dealing with freshwater for years, I thought I would tackle a 50g saltwater tank. Bought a used FOWLR (yeah I know) set it up and lost a signifigant portion of my coraline. Added Reef accelerator and marine stabilizer
    Boom.
    My coraline seems to be growing again, but i've managed to develop a moderate amount of brown algae and some green hair algae. Its not serious yet, but i want to fix it before it gets to be an issse.

2 clowns
    blue damsel
    pink one (memory fails me at this second)

parameters
    1.026 salinity
    8.3 ph
    0 nitrates
    0.25 Phosphate
    380 Calcium
    6-7 hours HO lighting

I know my KH is a little high because of well water. I let the Calcium drop some because after adding the 2 additives is when my algae problem seems to have started...

I'd like to get rid of this unsightly algae before it overtakes the tank.

Any ideas?

ECAS member

Keeping your calcium at around 400-420 would boost coralline. Hair algae could be from lights being on too long, what's your light cycle? Rodi water or well? Or tap? Welcome :)
    If your phosphates are reading, that's a big clue. I'd start dosing nopox. Great stuff

ECAS member

Thank you! I'm running well water at the moment, but think I'm gonna start changing to RODI water eventually with water changes to knock my KH down some.
    Running a florescent HO bar plus a 3x3 LED (light plus starlight) for about 7 hours a day ish on a timer.
    I have generally been keeping the Calcium well over 400, but only let it drop some recently.
    Thanks for the recommendation!! I'll give this Nopox a whirl...
    Greatly appreciated!!

ECAS member

Not a problem at all! We all start somewhere right?? Light cycle seems fine..some keep them on longer. Well water can be a pain because of all the minerals in the water, even when treating it with prime, I always found I still had hair algae..when we moved to city water, it wasn't so bad but still some algea growth. Now that I switched to rodi the only thing I have left to rid is a tiny bit of turf algae,but I know what it's from; I love...feeding my fish. My copperband and fox face have quite the appetites so I found myself just dropping in a cube of mysis once or twice a day...the problem is, even though it says that the mysis etc have been per-rinsed, a lot of fine particles of nutrients find their way in the water...and any extra nutrients that can't be freely eaten up by your fish or crunbumbs, boost that nasty algae growth. Now I just use my feeding tongs to actually grab the chunks of mysis (giving it a quick shake in the thawing container of water, to dust off any extra food particle stuff)..the fish actually pick out the shrimp a lot easier (since its not just a cloud of food being dumped in anymore) and it cuts right down on the leftover nutrients that are most likely the cause of your problems (besides the well water) :) from my experience anyway!
    Last edited by Dukey88; 04-16-2013 at 10:12 PM.

ECAS Member

Another saltie!!! Welcome :)

ECAS member

Turn your lights off and leave them off for 3 days.

I do this when algae starts to get out of hand in my tank. Clears it right up.

ECAS member

I'm kind in the same place right now. Got a 55g used from kijiji. It's all even going great! Coraline algae is starting to spread to each rock which is really good. The one bad thing happening is hair algae.... I liked the look of it when it was just one tuff, but once researching it I realize how fast it spreads and it's getting out of hand. It's in big clumps on the rocks, staring to grow like a carpet on my sand and even growing on my poor hermit crab! I need a quick way to get rid of it. I think I will leave the lights off until it's gone? And if it doesn't go away look for a remover or do they hurt fish? Any help is appreciated!! Pictures up tonight

Club Supporter

A question about leaving the lights off to help reduce the algae, is that hard on corals that need the light. I've got hair algae on my rock and what I think are diatoms on my sand. I'm going to start by trying to clean the surface of my sand but wasn't sure about leaving the lights off.

ECAS Member

I found the best way to remove hair algae is naturally, when I had 3 tangs my nitrates got high but not one spec of hair algae. (PS 3 tangs in a 110g is a bad idea hehe) Since the tangs are gone I have a bit of it and I don't like it. You could get small tangs/foxface and sell them when they get too big or get a small tang like a bristletooth Tomini Tang that you should be able to keep in there for the long haul. Some blennies also eat some hair algae :) I will be getting a Magnificent Foxface shortly from Jeff at 1fish2fish :) Can't wait :)

ECAS member

Tomini Tangs are black and orange with a white tail if I remember correctly. When you get your fox we should get him to send a tang along and we split shipping;)

Club Supporter

Suzanne, I've actually been looking into getting either a tomini or a kole tang for my tank.

I agree with Ryan, maybe we can work out something for shipping.

ECAS member

There we go! Party of 3:)

ECAS member

if either of you are ready now you should contact Jeff- there is an order going in monday I believe for halifax- along with cheap salt

ECAS member

I could be ready for Monday. If you haven't told him yet want to mention it? How do you pay?

ECAS member

give him a call/email and see if it is on the list, you emt the money

Club Supporter

I'm on the list for salt. I don't think it is directly coming from him but a pallet is being shipped to Halifax. If I understand what he said on fb, it is bypassing him completely. I believe convict is getting something from him anyway.

ECAS member

The pallet is coming to me so pickup will be at my house for salt

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by J.J Click here to enlarge
    The pallet is coming to me so pickup will be at my house for salt
    Well then I will see you when I pick my salt up at your place. I'll touch base at the time to set it up.

ECAS Member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RyanCrouse Click here to enlarge
    Tomini Tangs are black and orange with a white tail if I remember correctly. When you get your fox we should get him to send a tang along and we split shipping;)
    Correct, that and the yellow eyed khole are my favorites, and then everything that JJ said. We are placing an order with Jeff at 1fish2fish tomorrow. I would suggest you send him a message on facebook before noon ish tomorrow, I have no idea what time he is placing his order. These fish are coming from a place that sells amazing quality fish. Jeff is really good at replying on Facbook and the fish should come in January 7th. I pay him though Email Money Transfer, I'm not sure if he takes other payment methods. If you don't have him on facebook yet
    https://www.facebook.com/1Fish2FishRedAndBlueFish