Thread: Pond work + new fish

ECAS member

Pond work + new fish

I got some stuff done around the pond since I put the fish in. Still have some stuff on my list, but these are some of my accomplishments.

Put up a new fence. The old one was pieced together from multiple different sections of fence. We put in new posts and brand new wire. Also improved the doorway. Generally cleaner and nicer. I don't seem to have a picture of the final product with the gate on hand right now. Might post it later. It was weird to see the pond without the fence for the couple days it was down. First pic is of the old fence.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Did some gardening. I dug some of the sand and gravely soil out and put in some better stuff. Then my Mom gave me some of her flowers and things. I put in a quince sprout in the middle, some irises (surrounded by violets), crocuses which will come up in the spring and two other clumps that Mom said would be flowers later in the summer. I also put some lilies in another corner (just leaves right now). I want to get some ornamental grass to put between my flower garden and the swamp grass. And I need to hide that green garden hose or get some black stuff that would blend in better.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I found some fish on kijiji... and couldn't resist picking one up. When I got the fish home I found out that my fish had started spawning. He joined right in the next morning and I found out he is male. He is nice and bright and I really like his coloring. I am calling him Akira which means bright in Japanese. He is about the same size as my biggest koi, about 14" I think.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

So ya, my fish spawned. It happened much later in the summer last year, so I wasn't really expecting it. The pond was a mess for a couple days, but it looks good again now. There were eggs everywhere, even up on the rock edge. I saved some of the koi eggs in the small upper pond. Hopefully I will get some baby koi out of them. I tried to make a quick spawning mop, but it didn't work (I got dye coming out when I washed it and decided against putting it in the pond). I just had to pull the eggs off the sides of the pond and off some roots.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

That new guy is really nice looking, and wow what a pile of eggs :) Hope you get some babies!

ECAS member

The new fish is a Yamabuki....be careful that you don't overstock the pond, Mother Nature has a mean way of lowering populations. Safe stocking is one fish per 250 gallons regardless of thir size. Also with the spawning comes bad water...watch NH3 and NO2.

Not sure what you have on there for a pump but a garden hose can really restrict the flow that you could be getting.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Nice fish and ya that's a lot of eggs,

Steve

ECAS member

Nice fish and pond looks great but on a different point I would remove the quince bush. Talking as a landscaper they are very pretty when they flower but get large and will soon take over that garden area. Also pruning the buggers sucks and you cut scratched up badly if the shrub is allowed to go to big. :)

ECAS Member

Very nice, I absolutely love ponds :)

Banned

Nice pond. Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

Beautiful pond, and the new addition is very handsome!

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graham Click here to enlarge
    The new fish is a Yamabuki....be careful that you don't overstock the pond, Mother Nature has a mean way of lowering populations. Safe stocking is one fish per 250 gallons regardless of thir size. Also with the spawning comes bad water...watch NH3 and NO2.

Not sure what you have on there for a pump but a garden hose can really restrict the flow that you could be getting.
    I have always liked the Yamabuki, that is what I wanted originally when I was first looking for koi. I did a partial water change a couple days ago to help with the bad spawning water, and might do another one again soon. The pump is a fairly small water fountain pump, I could try some larger hose though. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Small Fry Click here to enlarge
    Nice fish and pond looks great but on a different point I would remove the quince bush. Talking as a landscaper they are very pretty when they flower but get large and will soon take over that garden area. Also pruning the buggers sucks and you cut scratched up badly if the shrub is allowed to go to big. :)
    Hmmm, good point. I was thinking I would transplant it sometime in the future when I get my own place. My Mom's bush is huge... I figured I would move mine before it gets that big...... if it lives that long..... Too bad many of the pretty flowering bushes are thorny, like roses and quince, even the weeping crab apple behind the pond is somewhat prickly.

ECAS member

plant a weigela instead. Nice flowers and no thorns :)

ECAS member

looking good hope you get some fry

ECAS member

love Your pond .

ECAS member

Another update. All the fish are doing well. They are more friendly than they were last year and are quite curious.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Goldfish tried spawning a couple more times, which is a bit of a pain. If they keep it up I might have to remove the male. Spawning can be hard on the females, one of them has some damage to one of her front fins, but seems to be doing fine.

My water has stayed clear thankfully and my plants are really taking off. I finally got some water hyacinth to eat up nutrients and my water lilies have lily pads up. I actually split my water lily early this spring, so I have the original plant plus the piece I cut off. They both seem to be doing good. The big plant has flower buds up but hasn't bloomed yet. However, my yellow flag iris from Graham did bloom. It has been very pretty. I also got some boulder blue fescue grass for my birthday to add to my pondscape.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I re-built my plant cage and put the second water lily and a piece of water hyacinth in it. That should keep the big fish from eating those plants. Chip and the little goldfish like to hang out in there. It is cute. The algae in the second picture is from the water lily, it had a bunch on it from being in the little pond. I scooped some off and the rest cleared up in no time. And the stick is to hold the water lily pot up, otherwise it would sink the whole thing to the bottom of the pond.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I have baby fish! I first started seeing them a couple weeks ago. Very tiny fry. I think all that cold weather we had after the spawning set back the hatch, so they were later than expected. Now they are growing well and starting to show signs of color and pattern. I scooped out koi eggs and put them in the little pond, so I suspect the babies are mainly koi. A bunch of them look like they are taking after Akira, lots of yellow, but some with black on them too. Really hard to tell what they will end up as at this stage. They are also really hard to take pictures of.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

I also have the occasional visitors to the pond. The birds love the pond. They use the waterfall section as a bird bath. I have sparrows, starlings, chickadee, american goldfinch, and the other day I had a pair of yellow warblers. I took some pictures with my little point and shoot, but didn't get a chance to get my Mom's camera with the large optical zoom. I had use my digital zoom which results in poor quality pictures. Plus I have some frogs.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

Great shots! I love that yellow iris, I have some and it is one of my favourite plants. Grats on the babies! So thrilling to have baby fish! I love the frog. Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

looks great congrats on the fry

ECAS member

Beautiful photos!
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

ECAS member

Great shot of the warblers taking their bath Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

So cool!

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Great update! Thanks for sharing & I especially love the froggie :)

ECAS member

verry cool..we hoped to start a pond this year but didnt happen...again,looks great