Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macro Algae Tank

Super Moderator

Question Macro Algae Tank

As most of you know, I love planted tanks. I have resisted marine tanks for a long time mostly because I did not see them being done the way scaped planted tanks are; but then I saw some macro algae tanks, and my resistance levels went way down. Convict helped a lot with that too...

So, I am wondering if anyone on here has much experience with macro tanks? How much do the rules differ? I can free up a 30g long, or a 20g, or a 15g without buying anything new. What would be a good size for a first foray into a planted salt water tank? I have always wanted to keep seahorses, especially dwarf seahorses, so if I could work toward that as a goal in a macro tank, that would be ideal. I am not planning on doing this soon, but I want to start getting information.

ECAS Member

Yay!!! no turning back now hehe. The great part about Algae is that it cleans your water like plants in fw do :) so I would think that two little seahorses shouldn't be that bad... well except all the feeding you have to do... but if you just do just a little on an often basis it shouldn't be too bad. And I know that you are not worried about tank maintenance Mrs. I do a daily water change on an American Cichlid tank hehe. I personally would use your biggest tank but that is me... I like bigger tanks hehe

ECAS Member

You know I"m looking at my Green Star Polyp and it's an encrusting coral with a carpet that looks just like grass... that would be nice too :) It's pretty easy to keep :)

Super Moderator

Haha, I have been looking at so much cool stuff that just picking a few for the tank is going to be tough! One that I definitely want is Feather Algae:Click here to enlarge Link to original thread.

That one makes a lot of sense from an aquascaping perspective. Others I just want because they are cool... no idea how I would work them into a scape. For instance I love Nemastoma macro algae:
    Click here to enlarge Link to original thread.

It is nice that a planted marine tank seems to have about the same lighting requirements as a freshwater planted, means I am that much closer to having all the stuff I need!

ECAS Member

Wow that second one... the pink one.... looks like coral :)

ECAS member

and it starts lol

ECAS Member

Fish where are you on this?? I'm disappointing your not even started yet hehe

And Red what is that pink bubbly Algae?

ECAS member

i wont have the time to do it now with only 1 day off and 10 hr days it will have to wait until i have the store they way it needs to be it will still happen as soon as i can do it

Super Moderator

Yeah it is a Nemastoma macro algae! Nifty isn't it? There are so many cool ones. I am going to have to figure out a design for the tank and decide what types I can actually have in there.

Super Moderator

I just found a picture of this one, no name. I hope I can track down what it is, because it is beautiful.
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS Member

That is gorgeous!!

Super Moderator

Found it! It is called Fauchea.

I am finding myself more and more attracted to the really colourful ones like Blue Ochtodes.
    Click here to enlarge

However, I really want to scape this tank and have it look unified, and I am not sure how to balance out colours in that kind of setup... too used to a green palate, with maybe some reds thrown in with freshwater setups.

ECAS member

they all look amazing

Super Moderator

I have one of my 10g cube aquariums switched to salt now, but I still need to pick up some live rock or sand to really get it started. The plan is to also switch over my 30g long tank once I decide if I am moving the present stock to a different tank or selling it (CPDs, Gertrude's Rainbowfish, Fire Red Cherry Shrimp, and Black Crystal Shrimp).

Club Supporter

I have blue dictyota (pain in the butt in a reef) and it's pretty. It's a bit of a nuisance because it's everywhere... But it's sparkly. Not sure where it came from; but it;s in there.

I also had feather caulpera, but my tang ate it... I was a bit nervous of that stuff going sexual on me and nuking my tank. Make sure to look into that also; the whole "sexual algae" thing. There are different ways to prevent it; from trimming; to leaving lights on 24/7 (seahorses might not appreciate this). Some species are more likely to go frisky than other species.

Super Moderator

Thanks for the first hand info Carrie! I may need to do a road trip to visit you and beg for some of that Blue Dictyota. Click here to enlarge

I have been doing some research on the whole "sexual" side of algae... I think it sounds more fun than it is to figure out! I am nervous about that aspect, but luckily the tank will probably be set up a good long while before I track down dwarf seahorses, so I will have a chance to see how the tank functions. It is another reason I would like at least two planted marine tanks going, so I have a bit of a backup if one starts to go weird.

Just like freshwater planted tanks, good ground-cover plants seem to be the tricky bit! I am checking out some seagrasses as well. As with all of these things availability may be a big limiting factor.
    Last edited by Redherring; 07-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Owner

Let there be salt hehe

Very interested to watch this project develop....dwarf sea horses was something I was looking at as well.....but I am always drawn back to the Bengai Cards....want some so bad haha Would love to see how the D Seahorses work out for you though if you go that route....they are cute little buggers :)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS Member

When your ready for it and your back in Halifax let me know and I'll give you a piece of my red macro... it seems to be growing decently
    Convo of the day
    "what is that red thing back there that looks like red seaweed"
    "uhm... red seaweed"
    "how much did you pay for that?"
    "uhm $20"
    "OMFG I can go pick up some seaweed for you at the beach for free"
    hehe

Super Moderator

Thanks Convict! That would be amazing! People who haven't gotten bitten by the plant bug never understand the things we pay for. Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Staceym Click here to enlarge
    Let there be salt hehe

Very interested to watch this project develop....dwarf sea horses was something I was looking at as well.....but I am always drawn back to the Bengai Cards....want some so bad haha Would love to see how the D Seahorses work out for you though if you go that route....they are cute little buggers :)
    If I do end up doing two tanks, I was thinking the little one would be Dwarf Seahorses, and the 30g would have either Firefish or a pair of Benggai Cardinals. Given that I like breeding, I was leaning towards Cardinals...

ECAS member

i hope you get all you want for the tank it will be amazing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast