Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macro Algae Tank

Super Moderator

I have spent my time waiting to hear about my dog getting this tank fully set up. It now has live rock and sand, like a real tank! Now I just need to get the macros (and maybe some compatible other things) set up live cultures, and finally track down some Dwarf Seahorses!

ECAS Member

Pictures??

Super Moderator

Right now it looks like a heavy fog... and once it clears it will look like a snow drift with a large grey rock in back of it. Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

Alright, you asked for pictures, so here it is.
    Click here to enlarge

Since it is a small tank, I splurged and got live sand and live rock. I added ammonia, and it is already reading 0s, which I am a bit incredulous about, so I will keep on dosing and see what happens. So far, the only hitchhikers were some amphipods and copepods. I am keeping a close eye out for hydroids, even though if I ever do manage to actually get dwarf seahorses it will probably be at least a year from now. Also, any of the soft or polyp corals or the macros I plan on adding could inadvertently introduce the little buggers.

I told my marine biologist dad about this tank, and he has gotten quite excited and has been suggesting various corals and macros. With his input, the idea is to make this a lagoon style tank, with macros, seagrass, and a couple seahorse safe, lower flow soft corals. I hope I can track down some of the smaller seagrasses... or any seagrasses for that matter!

ECAS Member

Very cute :) Can't wait to see how it progresses :)

Super Moderator

There is life in the tank! Ok, there were already some pods a a very small amount of macro algae in there, but now there are corals! And macro algae! And one confused looking Blue Legged Hermit Crab!

That was a lot of sentence fragments and exclamation points, but it is exciting and I can't help it!!!!!!!

Corals: Blue mushroom with a tag-along kenya tree and colt coral (thanks to The GG), 2 zoas, a green star polyp, and a small bit of clove polyp that I hope does well (all from the utterly amazing Convict who I owe big time).

Convict also gave me several pieces of her red macro algae, since her tangs were starting to rip it up, and it looks awesome! Everything will take some time to fill in and look good, but it is a really exciting start. Most of the corals are already opening up, which I am taking as a good sign.

I still have two spots in the tank reserved for a coral I want down the road, and a macro that I am bound and determined to track down, as well as lots of space around the existing corals for them to grow. Once things really open up I will take a picture of the tank.

ECAS member

that's good start for sure .

ECAS Member

Glad it made it back ok :) you might have to glue that clove polyp to keep it upright :) can't wait to see it :)

ECAS Member

And how much time have you spent looking at that tank tonight hehe :)

Super Moderator

Haha, quite a lot. Also, when my husband was supposed to be getting ready to go to work I found him, nose pressed against the glass with one shoe on, watching the green star polyp opening up!

Most things are looking really good. Most things are open, though the zoas aren't fully out. The clove polyp opened up for a while , but it closed again. The only thing that really doesn't look good is the colt coral, which is looking kind of "floppy." The little crab is clambering all over (which I think is what made the clove close up). The new live rock I got has some nice little fan worms on it, and I love watching them.

ECAS Member

Very nice :) the corals will open and close if stuff bugs them, that happens :) Your crab is probably crawling all over everything but they will open and close as they feel comfortable.... and I"m sure the Colt will be fine :) Just give it a few days :)

ECAS member

looks like its coming along!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12