Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yet another marine setup

ECAS member

yet another marine setup

well as some of you know I absolutely love dangerous and venomous fish especially lionfish. I picked up a used 55 gallon tank last weekend and am SLOWLY in the process of filling it (RO/DI TAKES FOREVER) so I can get another lionfish again.

the exciting part will be this weekend when I aquascape it and get it cycling I hope to create something attractive and simple in design for corals and alot of substrate dwellers.

Right now its half full of saltwater with black moon sand(because its what I had already)so this weekend Im ready to spend the whole saturday creating a rockscape suitable for my fish choices.

here is the current planned stock list all starting out very small that Dereks and Maritime Reef are keeping their eyes out for me. When these guys are all doing well and eating I will be putting them into a larger predator tank but for now its best in the 55 gallon to ensure that they are all eating well and its easy to purchase tank dividers if necessary. All of the corals will be softies like mushrooms and leathers and lighting will be temporarily 4 t5s and then the Fluval marine LED. Its currently set up in my bedroom- which was brought to my attention that it says alot about my personality that I put the predator tank in my room to relax and watch instead of the reef lol.

stock list
    dendrochirus barberi
    pteroidichthys amboinensis
    paracentropogon longispinus COLORED
    Sebastapistes cyanostigma
    painted frogfish black or clownfrogfish
    dwarf fuzzy lion,dwarf zebra lionfish

Last edited by J.J; 06-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.

ECAS member

Can't wait to watch this come alive :)

ECAS member

Thanks! Im pretty excited as well I love the predator fish and my last lion was the best fish I ever had- ate right out of my fingers and I could pet him- though I dont recommend it lol

ECAS Member

Can't wait to see this, going on Google back and forth on my phone is a pain... Can you put up the common names?

Super Moderator

Oh wow, this sounds like an interesting tank! I have always been attracted to lion fish, but have never had one. I can't wait to see the tank setup you design!

ECAS member

nice cant wait to see it set up

ECAS member

Dwarf lionfish- a couple different varieties
    ambon scorpionfish
    long spin waspfish
    yellow spotted scorpionfish
    frogfish

Its going to be an exciting build Im just hopeful that I can get my hands on the specific fish I want- that will be the most difficult part of this whole build, and depressing if I cant get them.

Ill definitely have updates by sunday hopefully of my aquascape provided I dont get frustrated and quit it for a day or two haha

ECAS member

I hope you get all the fish you want that is an awesome list.
    Sunday, your on my calendar ;)
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member

you never should have said that we will be stocking you sunday Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

yes they are pretty awesome fish and I have experience with all of them except for the Ambon and waspfish- because of lack of availabilty.

basically my thoughts for aquascape is one tall column with a large overhang and then a few small little mounds on the opposite end. it will look sparse but it will be easy to see them all and keep the tank clean and avoid build up of uneaten food.

ECAS member

haha well I have big plans to do it- if it goes as planned ill have it done for sunday- if my aquascape doesnt work out as planned ill just be frustrated and have a big mess in my house from digging through 300lbs of live rock for specific pieces lol

ECAS member

when i have the time to start my SW i want you to scape it for me Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

haha Id be honored to help out- though you will have to see if you even like my style of aquascaping lol

ECAS member

i seen some of your pics and like what i see

ECAS Member

I'm going to steel your frog fish, aka Kirby, aka marshmallow man aka stay puff man. Sounds super rad...I'll be knocking on your door to see

ECAS Member

The wasp fish had the raddest hairdo

ECAS member

haha your always welcome you know that!

and once I get them there will be tons of pictures and videos especially of the frogs stalking prey... they wobble back and forth very cool to see !

ECAS member

its funny ur putting the predator tank in ur room, I have one in mine too but Piranhas not SW :( Cant wait to see pics!!!

Been bit by the fish bug :)

ECAS member

well super sorry I didn't do much of anything this weekend with the tanks other then add anemones. I ended up getting my awesome LED light for my nano tank and was out all weekend so needless to say I didn't do any rockscape lol... Friday evening I will get this at least started!

ECAS member

ok I actually started this tonight!! super proud of myself, got a waterchange on my other tank and set up 2 other tanks!

I have to get some acrylic rods and drill some pieces for the overhangs so right now they are just put whereever and some still in a barrel, but this will be the general look because I don't have the rock for the one I wanted to do. This has 3 towers so I can easily divide the tank into 3 little tanks until I am sure the fish are eating prepared foods. It will have a blue background eventually as well and be full instead of half full haha.

Here is the beginnings of the Predator tank

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast