Thread: Opinion wanted on coral purchase

Club Supporter

Opinion wanted on coral purchase

I came across this ad on Kijiji. I'm looking for input as to whether I should get it. Noting that I was originally going to wait until after my vacation to stock my tank. Currently I have 3 hermit crabs, one shrimp and 3 mollies I converted to salt water. (that big 90 g looked so empty) I have contacted him and he said he would give it all to me for $300.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-pets-othe...AdIdZ504039253

Let me know your opinion. I have asked him for more pictures.

ECAS member

Id definitely wait until you got pictures of every coral to ensure they are in good health before id toss 300 down.

ECAS Member

It's hard to tell... You should ask him how many heads each Euphylia has (Hammer, Frogspawn, Torch) They usually retail for $30 a head but you can get them from hobbyist at $10 a head so that is what I would go by... depending on the mushroom they usually retail at $5 a mushroom for regular mushrooms and maybe $10-15 for a Riccordia... so less from a hobbyist. For a leather... some try to sell big ones for a lot but you can get a frag (1-2 inches) for about $5 and they grow pretty easily. As for the elegance... they are usually around $100 (give or take $20) retail but they are really really hard to keep and the move might kill it even if it's in good shape... which it might not even be in. And like JJ said you would really need to see if these things were healthy before dishing out all of that money. I don't know if it's his camera but some corals look really white, which may mean that they lost their zooanthids... which is not a good thing.

Club Supporter

$300 is a lot. You could buy yourself some nice corals at an LFS for $300, and get exactly what you want. I don't think it's worth it, personally.

As per beginner corals; I'd stay away from the Elegance. They are expensive and fussy.

Club Supporter

Thank you to everyone. I thought of many of the points that were made. The big one being that since I am not familiar with corals, I really wouldn't be able to tell if they are healthy or not so buying privately where I don't know the person may not be a good idea. I would feel more comfortable buying from say, AFK where at least if I have problems, I can talk to them and also have recourse if I get an unhealthy product. (not that I think that woud happen)

When the time comes, I may post an ad on here to see if anyone is getting rid of anything.

I think I will wait.

ECAS member

Personally I don't think you are ready for corals...your system is new and you are new to salt...do more reading/research about the corals that you want to have long term...you shouldn't buy anything that may or may not make it in your system. You need very stable chemistry and also make sure you have the light requirements.
    56g sps reef, 2x250W reeflux 10K halides with 2x96w VHO super actinics, 20L nano lps and zoas, 108 FOWLR all tanks are sumped and have coralife superskimmers.

ECAS member

Sorry to use your poste but I'm going to Halifax for a quick run down this Friday and coming back on Saturday and I was wondering if anybody around the Halifax area have any frag that they want to get rid off? My 65 gal is pretty bare and I was looking for some mushrooms and some zoo or anything that would start cover my live rocks... you can PM me what you have and at what price... thanks..