Thread: my green terror and oscar have holes in the head

ECAS member

Unhappy my green terror and oscar have holes in the head

Ok i woke up a about 2 days ago and my green terror had a hole in its head and just slightly below his eye. now i woke up this working and my oscar has it and my oscars face kinda looks like its decaing
    Last edited by andrewgoalie; 07-17-2013 at 10:13 PM.

ECAS member

Im not to sure how to post pictures as im on my phone

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrewgoalie Click here to enlarge
    Im not to sure how to post pictures as im on my phone
    Do you have access to a computer?

ECAS member

Not at the moment

ECAS Member

They might have hole in the head disease http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...n_the_head.htm

ECAS member

I think thats what it it i just did a water change and im running a fluval 405 the tanks is a 55 gallon so i got plety of filtration please note thid is not the permint home for these guys this caught me buy suprise so i put them in bthe 55 there real hone is in a 140 gallon tank with a fluval fx5

ECAS member

Get them in the 140 gallon and do 2 50% water changes a week and give them a good diet. They will get better in a couple months. They will be more susceptible to getting it in the future now that they've got it once so keep up the water changes. Get API test kit and when the nitrates hit 20 do 50% water changes after they heal. For now in the 55 do 50% water change a day until they get back in the 140. Also I would add more filtration to the 140, an aquaclear 110 would do. Those 2 fish will max out the bioload on the 140 so I wouldn't add any other fish. Good luck.

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andrewgoalie Click here to enlarge
    Ok i woke up a about 2 days ago and my green terror had a hole in its head and just slightly below his eye. now i woke up this working and my oscar has it and my oscars face kinda looks like its decaing

Hole in head "disease" is basically a bacterial infection from poor water quality.

It's been touched on these fish have high bio load, filtration will keep the ammonia in check but you need to do regular water changes to remove the waste or the buildup will result in heal issues. Not trying to lecture just letting you know what has happened. A bigger tank will help, more water volume dilutes the waste so buildup to unhealthy levels is a bit slower, but regular water changes are still required .

Good news is it's very easy to treat and the wounds should heal leaving no scar. Its' really a simple as keeping the water clean, frequent water changes alone should be enough to cure it. Should do 50% least once a week, maybe do a second 25% mid week while they are recovering to speed up the process. Adding aquarium salt will help as well. just basic salt follow instructions on the box and dont forget to add some with each water change as well!
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

Thank you guys all very much help is very much appriciated thanks again

ECAS member

Just a quick question is it contagious

ECAS member

No it's not contagious.... but the water quality that brought it on will have the same effect on the other fish. Clean water and good diet are the cure. A lot of people will get a liquid vitamin to soak the food in as well to help speed things up. The main thing is clean water. Do lots of water changes.

ECAS member

Ok thanks

ECAS member

Ok this morning i got a guy who was willing to adopt them and at the monent im cleaning out and washing everything thats in the tank

ECAS member

Cleaning / Washing everything in the tank isn't going to solve the issues that we're created.. HITH isn't normally something that just pops up over night, its prolonged exposure to poor water quality from lack of cleaning and poor diet. Feeding your oscar or other fish the same pellet every day is bad, provide your fish with a varied diet and change water frequently. My largest tank is a 125 with a 75 gallon sump and I do water changes every 3 days, feed a large variety of fresh other types of food (beefheart flake, spirulina flake, krill, fresh veggies, a nice staple pellet like hikari gold or NLS.. etc). If you keep up with maintenance and do everything listed then you should be in the clear, but just be aware that if you keep the same habits, these issues are bound to appear again.

Good luck with everything.