Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us your planted tanks!!

Club Supporter

Show us your planted tanks!!

Seems like lots of plant preach on the forum lately but no pics!

Show us all your planted tank pics! Just for fun!

Please list equipment, fert routine, Co2 or not, ETC!

I will start...

Hagen GLO double T5HO fixture, pressurized Co2, Dose N/K/P + CSM+B, eco complete planted substrate
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Will update with a fresh pic soon; Gotta trim some plants.. LOL

Some older, "natural" style photos when I wasn't more inclined with dutch style scaping.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by carriej; 08-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Club Supporter

Beautiful tanks. I wish mine looked like that. Maybe someday. Mine hasn't been going very long and I am still learning.

Super Moderator

I have some older pictures, but I will have to do a round of tank photography. Most of my planted tanks haven't changed too much though.

Betta baby tanks (5g and 2.5g, daylight 8w bulbs, Amazonia aquasoil, no CO2, no ferts since the baby betta went in)
    Click here to enlarge

25g Bowfront (60w daylight bulb, no CO2, low dose dry fert regime, one grumpy angel in residence)
    Click here to enlarge

Stream Delta tank/EBJD pad (50g, 2 60w daylight bulbs, no CO2, ferts once a week, with K twice). This one has filled in a lot, so I will try and get a new photo soon.
    Click here to enlarge

Favourite tank I have scaped, now scrapped and a marine tank... Moss Iwagumi (6500k LED, no CO2, no ferts).
    Click here to enlarge

65g tank. An old photo, just so that when I post a new one you can see the change. My hight tech tank (2 100w daylight, 2 60w daylight, CO2, twice weekly ferts, dirt and a bit of Amazonia aquasoil topped with pool filter sand).
    Click here to enlarge

Club Supporter

One grumpy angel! LOL

ECAS member

75 Gal with 2 55 watt T5HO, one daylight and one plant. Sicce 350 filter. No ferts but did start using some Excel as I was having major algae issues.

]Click here to enlarge

Club Supporter

Welcome Doug! Nice tank!

ECAS member

Would love to get into pressurized CO2 but don't really know much about it. I know I was talking to Matt about it at the Golden Guppy but he just closed ):
    Anyone have some good ideas or plans, the tank is 75 gallon.

Super Moderator

Welcome Doug! Glad you are able to post now. Your tank looks lovely, so I would say you are doing it right! Pressurized CO2 is great, and I love it in the tank I have it going on, but it certainly isn't necessary to have a nice planted tank.

The biggest thing with planted tanks is having the patience to wait for your plants to fill in, and picking plants that suit the growing conditions in your tank. What kind of substrate do you have in your 75g? What plants do you have in there right now that are doing well?

ECAS member

The substrate is laterite that I got from The Golden Guppy. The hygro deformis is doing quite well. Also have sword plant in there that produces runners every other day, not sure the real name of it sorry all I know is it a small version that probably does not get much bigger than 3 inches high. Java fern and moss doing good along with anubias.

My biggest problem right now is keep the algae off the plants especially on the hyrro. Was using comprehensive ferts but stopped that and now just using excel, seemed to help with growth and algae but still having some issues.

The tank is about 3 months old

Super Moderator

Sounds like pygmy chain sword (which I will buy a couple plants of if you ever have some to spare!), and it seems that you have a nice mix of plants doing well. How long are your lights on? Shortening the photo period may help with the algae issues, but eventually the plants should outcompete it and things will look a lot better. It really looks like you have the foundation of a great planted tank there, and a bit of time may make what you have look really good.

In terms of recommending plants, all I can tell you is some of my favourites that always perform for me. I love Crypt wendtii "Bronze," it has nice crinkly leaves, and a reddish-brown colour even under low lights.
    Under high light it grows nice and short, in low light its leaves can get quite long and look very impressive (it is the background plant in my Moss Iwagumi picture). I love Star Grass, but it grows very fast and some people really hate it for that reason. I just love its bright green and shape. Madagascar Lace aponogeton looks ridiculously impressive as a focal plant, and with a bit of iron added it grows easily. I wouldn't add it until your algae issue is sorted though, since it does not like having algae growing on it.

ECAS member

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

My 25 gallon, 46 bowfront before i sold it and my 33 gallon.
    Last edited by FishBait; 08-05-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: I need to learn to spell

Club Supporter

Nice FishBait! I've been going more "dutch" style for awhile now (neurotic tendencies when it comes to tanks!) but I always admire others' natural tanks. I suppose mine was natural at one point...

You can almost see the progression from natural style to becoming more organized and blocky...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I started out with a modified dutch style but kind of got lazy about it. Now it's a more naturalized look that I enjoy. Though I have since taken the 33 back to more of a dutch style. Your tank always looks amazing.

ECAS member

Hey guys over last few days I notice some of my plants look like they have been chewed on. Recently there have been snails popping up in the tank.

Thoughts, ideas, solutions.....please

Super Moderator

It probably is the snails you have spotted, but it might also be nutrient deficiency. Since there are snails present, getting rid of some of them is probably a good idea anyway, and you can see if it stops the problem. Some plants are much more prone to getting nibbled than others, so those may get damaged quickly. You can use a snail trap to try and catch most of the little guys. You can make one using an old plastic container (butter, leftover, what have you) with a lid: heat an awl or similar tool of a size that suits the snails you have and use it to punch holes through, leaving a ridge on the inside. Then you put a piece of lettuce or zucchini in there, pop the top on, and sink it (you may need to use a rock). Pull it out the next morning and see what you have for a haul in there!

Many fish eat snails. My angels and betta both snack on babies, I have seen gourami do the same, but there are some types of loaches that really do wonders for clearing a tank of snails. I hope something clears them up for you!

ECAS member

Any idea what kind of nutrients. I currently don't using anything just excel.

Club Supporter

If it's small pinholes in leaves; it could be potassium. However, oftentimes when there is a deficiency there is a few going on at once.

I always generally suggest to people running higher light tanks (as these tanks grow faster, and require more "juice" to keep the plants green and lush) to dose the big 3 along with traces. The big three are Nitrate, Potassium, and Phosphate. Or N, K, and P. There are many different things these can be sourced from, however I personally use bulk dry ferts. You can get these at Canadian aquatics. I am unsure if any vendors sell bulk ferts in powder form. I also use CSM+B trace mix, which has way too many things to list - so it's just "traces" lol.

ECAS member

Just doing some research. Do you use the Barr EI Method or another way of doing?

Club Supporter

I use a bit of a modified EI approach to be completely honest. EI is great; but essentially it's overdosing ferts and relying on large water changes to reduce the nutrients weekly. In theory, this is great because your plants essentially have no limiting factors nutrient wise. However; in reality every tank is going to use a different amount of ferts depending on how many plants, what type of plants, co2, no co2, lighting, etc... EI dosing is based upon running a "high tech" tank system.

EI is a good starting point; but personally I have very few fish in my planted system and weekly water changes seemed almost like a waste. I was removing nitrates, just to add more nitrates in powder form. It didn't make sense to me; so I modified my fert dosing a bit. When I first started doing this - I just watched my tank. If my red plants aren't looking quite as red - looks like I need some iron. If I see some dark veining in my plants, looks like I better add some magnesium. Pinholes - potassium.

I kept track of what I was adding into my tank - and made my own dosing schedule to save ferts and so I don't need to do a big waterchange every week to "reset" my tank. I now do bi-weekly waterchanges, which IMO for the light stocking of very small fish I have it's more than enough. My plants are the same quality as when I was EI dosing, and I am using less ferts. Not that the ferts are expensive - but they can sometimes be a little tricky to find, KNO3 to be precise is harder to find. I think people can make bombs or something with it.. lol?

There are a few who believe high nutrient levels associated with EI dosing can cause harm or be detrimental to some fish. Few agree, most do not - I have no real opinion on this because I raised and bred relatively sensitive wild caught angelfish in that tank with lots of fry. However; I can't for the life of me keep any type of wild colored ram other than bolivians alive in just that one tank. I have had no problems keeping them in other tanks, so who knows? However; nothing wrong with playing it safe.

Bit of a loaded response, sorry doug lol. However, if I were you I would suggest starting with EI and altering it to fit your needs. You can get by using a lot less, and this is one of those situations that I believe less is more.
    Last edited by carriej; 08-16-2013 at 01:47 AM.

ECAS member

Thanks for your help guys. I like loaded answers it gives me lots to think about and research. I am almost done, I think I will do an EI type dosing I wll post my plan to see what you guys think. As this will be my first attempt at it any info is appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast