Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Show us your planted tanks!!

ECAS member

What kind of background is that? It does not look like just regular black

Club Supporter

Mine?

It's just one of those $1.29 a foot backgrounds pet stores sometimes have on a roll. It looks like rocks. It's black/dark grey

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member

Very Nice

Club Supporter

Looks great Goldie.

Club Supporter

What do most people use for substrate in a planted tank?

Although far from heavily planted, I do have plants in my tank. I have trouble keeping them in the gravel. One plant I have is more of a floating plant but it keeps getting in my filter so I anchor it to the bottom in the gravel but every time I need to clean the tank and do a water change, it gets out of the gravel and I have to start again. I really like the look of it but not when it is all over and stuck in my filter. I think it is hornwort but it is not very full at all. I want to keep it but need to figure out how to keep it from floating all over. I also have a few swords (one big one) and a couple other plants I don't know what they are.

I would love a big planted tank with angels or discus in it.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Old

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

New

Click here to enlarge

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by komodo182 Click here to enlarge
    Old

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

New

Click here to enlarge
    Is that bamboo in your tank? I wonder if I could do that with my son's bamboo taht we seem to have a lot of trouble remembering to water.

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Yup. As long as the leaves are out of the water it should be fine.

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    What do most people use for substrate in a planted tank?

Although far from heavily planted, I do have plants in my tank. I have trouble keeping them in the gravel. One plant I have is more of a floating plant but it keeps getting in my filter so I anchor it to the bottom in the gravel but every time I need to clean the tank and do a water change, it gets out of the gravel and I have to start again. I really like the look of it but not when it is all over and stuck in my filter. I think it is hornwort but it is not very full at all. I want to keep it but need to figure out how to keep it from floating all over. I also have a few swords (one big one) and a couple other plants I don't know what they are.

I would love a big planted tank with angels or discus in it.
    There are planted tank specific substrates and some of those are really nice. I have had very good luck with Amazonia, and with laterite (which is usually more of an addition to a substrate than a substrate on its own). I mostly use those under a layer of fluorite black sand or pool filter sand. I have also used Amazonia layered in between flat pebbles to create a stream bed tank that still grows plants wonderfully.

The problem in your case does not seem to have anything to do with substrate. You are right that hornwort is a floating plant. It won't form roots to hold itself down, so it is very prone to getting dislodged.

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Redherring Click here to enlarge
    There are planted tank specific substrates and some of those are really nice. I have had very good luck with Amazonia, and with laterite (which is usually more of an addition to a substrate than a substrate on its own). I mostly use those under a layer of fluorite black sand or pool filter sand. I have also used Amazonia layered in between flat pebbles to create a stream bed tank that still grows plants wonderfully.

The problem in your case does not seem to have anything to do with substrate. You are right that hornwort is a floating plant. It won't form roots to hold itself down, so it is very prone to getting dislodged.
    Where would I go to buy the substrates you are speaking of? I don't imagine it is at the local PU.

Club Supporter

I use eco complete; it has served me very well. There seems to be a lot of substrates on the market now geared for plants, when I purchased eco complete there was essentially eco complete or fluorite. I chose eco complete because at that time fluorite was only available in red and a grey color they were advertising as black. I wanted as dark of a substrate as I could get so I went with eco. It certainly has dropped a lot in price. It's almost half the price it used to be!

However, if I had to pick any I would be using that beautiful fluval stratum plant substrate. It is expensive though, 25-30$ for 4kg. Ouch.

ECAS member

I have a dirted tank now, before that I had play sand with dollar store root tabs, never had a problem growing plants in either and both are very cheap :)
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member

Beautiful tanks everyone!!!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej Click here to enlarge
    I use eco complete; it has served me very well. There seems to be a lot of substrates on the market now geared for plants, when I purchased eco complete there was essentially eco complete or fluorite. I chose eco complete because at that time fluorite was only available in red and a grey color they were advertising as black. I wanted as dark of a substrate as I could get so I went with eco. It certainly has dropped a lot in price. It's almost half the price it used to be!

However, if I had to pick any I would be using that beautiful fluval stratum plant substrate. It is expensive though, 25-30$ for 4kg. Ouch.
    Its a very light substrate, very difficult to plant larger bulb types... also its a nightmare for fine carpeting plants. I think their roots are too fine and have a hard time.... Everything else seems ok. Beautiful indeed though.
    65 gallon reef (early planning process)
    10 gallon high tech planted
    29g planted

Club Supporter

Which substrate are you speaking of Joe, the stratum?

ECAS member

WHoops, yea fluvals. Crazy light...
    29g planted

Club Supporter

Unfortunate for sure; as it is quite beautiful and nutrient complete. The more porous the substrate, the better for the plant roots. However it does sometimes make things more difficult to plant. Eco complete is slightly like this as well, but I have gotten used to it and I don't keep large fish that might move the substrate.

ECAS member

He's a pic before the new advanced plants go in tomorrow...

Click here to enlarge
    29g planted

ECAS member

What are dollar store root tabs

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    I know this question was answered about a year ago, but I wonder I small lead strips, bent around the base of a plant, would no be helpful in keeping plants submerged until the roots can take hold. (That was common practice when I was a kid in the 1960s)

If they are not seriously toxic to life in the tank?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast