Thread: where can I find a decent pump for my new pond

ECAS member

where can I find a decent pump for my new pond

Hi,
    I'm building a new pond and have it filled, just rocking in the edges and building a waterfall. I'm setting up a skippy filter, hoping it works ok, and keeping my fingers crossed. the pond is 24x10x3 feet deep, so I need at least a 3000gph (my best guess). Sears has an Algreen Maxflo, are they any good? Thanks for any advice you could give me.

• A waterfall pump with a magnetic-driven motor. 5,500 GPH at 0'. 26' Head. Magnet-driven vortex and replaceable impeller. Fits 1'' tubing. Includes filter grid to protect impeller from large mechanical debris. Can be installed horizontally and vertically. 1-year warranty. Call 1-800-984-9933 or e-mail customerservice@algreenproductscom for more information.
    • 5,500 GPH at 0'
    • 26' Head
    • Magnet-driven vortex and replaceable impeller
    • Fits 1" tubing
    • Includes filter grid to protect impeller from large mechanical debris
    • Can be installed horizontally and vertically
    • 1-year warranty. Call 1-800-984-9933 or e-mail customerservice@algreenproductscom for more information

See more products by Algreen

ECAS member

Whats filtering this pond and the screen on the pump is not a filter? Edit just saw the skippy filter...crap traps and hype..... How high above the water surface does the pump have to push water...how many feet of pipe does it have to run through...how wide is the falls. ....lots of questions.

Most pumps are overrated by thier manufacturers by 10 to 15%, then you have to look at the flow curve to see how fast the flow drops with head... Your pond is probably about 2000 gallons so you'll need one that does at least that every hour. If it has to pump through a filter and then an UV unit , it needs to be bigger
    Last edited by Graham; 08-21-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

about twenty feet of pipe over a four foot lift. So what's a good filter then? (and pump). Do I really need a sterilizer? Eighty watt?
    Oh, and the falls are only about eighteen inches wide. I may play around with them depending upon what flow I get from the pump.
    Last edited by akerleya; 08-22-2013 at 01:13 AM.

ECAS member

Found a decent pump (Burcam waterfall pump) at Princess Auto , cost me $85 out the door. It'll push 4200 gph at 0 head, 2500 at the waterfall , so it's working good. I diverted 500 gph to a 28 watt UV sterilizer I found on KIJIJI for 75 bucks, so I think I'm good to go.
    thanks for the help Graham. ;-P
    Last edited by akerleya; 08-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.