Thread: Treating Zoapox

ECAS member

Treating Zoapox

Click here to enlarge
    I received this beautiful colony of blue zoas from Afk. Shortly afterwards, I noticed these strange,what I can only describe as wirey-vine like, small twigs growing from the top (you may notice it in this first picture). I'm sorry for the low quality photos as they were just taken with my iPad, but I wanted to visually document the treatment.

I decided one day before my lights came on, that I would remove this little twiggy things. It was WAY harder to remove then I thought...the strength of the "material" growing was far more then I expected and, I had to use more force then I wanted to remove it from the colony. In the process, some of my zoas were 'squashed' by my fingers :( I man-handled it.
    I didn't worry at first, but the next day I noticed tiny white spots forming. I figured it could be the individual heads healing, but infact it was the opposite. The more time went on, the worse it became.

The following day about 1/8 of the polyps were closed. This is after four days:

Click here to enlarge

To say the least, I was grumpy and pretty sad about it...But determined.

A little research and I pin pointed exactly what the cause was, zoa pox. I researched online and found great treatments involving furan-2 without too much work. I have to give carriej a shout out here; ofcourse she had some furan on hand and saved me an expensive order for a single item :)
    The treatment was as followed; A daily dip for about 20 mins for three days in a row, a water change (10-20%) on the fourth day..following a week rest period and one final dip (this time for ten minutes).

Each picture is about an hour or two after the dip; you'll notice the white dots are stained with the medication used (a good way to see progression really) and it quickly disappears without harming the color or coral.

Click here to enlarge
    1st- Already I can see the zoas in the less affected area, around the edges/top beginning top open again

Click here to enlarge
    2nd still a little progression

Click here to enlarge
    3rd dip

This image was taken a day after the water change (which helps to boost the healing faster, with what I've read)
    Click here to enlarge

And again two days afterwards:
    Click here to enlarge

and today (haven't done the final dip yet)
    Click here to enlarge

Even when all seems lost, it still does not hurt to try. Another big thanks to my fwiend Carrie.Click here to enlarge

ps, don't mind the dirty sand.. Been doing frequent feedings for the new baby hippo tang.

Club Supporter

Me and my magical box of meds. LOL

I'm glad it worked for you. I was a bit worried about them and its a big piece; would have been a sin to lose them!

ECAS member

I know..I shoulda just let he twiggy vines grow into a f'ing tree had I known the troubles I would have cause it myself ahahshahaahahshaha

ECAS member

great job

Owner

Very cool to see the progress! Lots of talk on medicating fish, interesting to see how things can work out on the coral side too!
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`