Thread: Thinking of getting green spotted puffer, need advice...

Club Supporter

Thinking of getting green spotted puffer, need advice...

One of the local lfs got green spotted puffers for a really great price, and weŽve been thinking of getting one before.
    But weŽd need some keeping advice.

It says "agressive", but can we keep 2 in the same tank?
    Any "special" needs?

Any info is appreciated!

ECAS Member

I have 2 green spotted puffer in a 56g (about 2-3 inches each) but I may not be able to keep them together forever, once they mature they might become aggressive and I may have to rehome one.

They need 30g for the first one and 20g for each additional.

They need to be in brackish water, they will live in fresh but you will reduce their life and they won't grow properly. When they are adults they can be acclimated to full SW specifications. I tend not to worry too much about the salinity level at this point, as I was told, brackish water is very chaotic. Rain, drought, hot and cooler weather would change their natural habitat very quickly. You should ask what salinity they are at in the store, start there. You need to put the salinity up slowly in order for the bacteria to convert gradually. There is information on it in the articles below.

They get to be about 6 inches and round like a football.

You will need snails to feed them, preferably pond snails, MTS are too hard and may crack their beaks. I feed them cubes, thawed out scallop, shrimp, and muscles. Here is a few good articles, if you have any questions just ask :)

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Green-Sp...and-Tank-Setup
    http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles...-puffer/64.asp
    http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/..._Nigroviridis/
    http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/...otted-puffers/

Club Supporter

Big thanks Convict, exactly the info I was looking for!

ECAS member

Make sure you know which one you are getting as there are three puffers with the same common name!

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hugh Click here to enlarge
    Make sure you know which one you are getting as there are three puffers with the same common name!
    These should be approx 14cm(less than 5")at max , if the label is correct...

ECAS Member

I've had mine together since February. They don't grow very quickly like some other puffers, I don't find that they grew at all hehe. Feed them once a day and skip a day, even if they look like they want to eat they can and will overeat if you let them and kill themselves silly things. They are very aware of what is going on outside of the tank, they always come right up to the tank when I'm walking by or even if I'm messing around in the kitchen, I look over and they are both looking at me hehe.

I put a baby guppy in there thinking that they would eat it but it's still in there like 3-4 months later.

They do get spooked sometimes and smash in the glass or top when I go near the tank quickly or sometimes when the light shuts off so I highly recomend you have a top on there because if they get out of the water they might inflate and they might die. Same goes for when you move them from the bag to the tank or whichever, don't net them and put them in, they should not be exposed to the air.

I could go on and on, the links I gave you have good info in them :) post pics :)

ECAS member

where can i find one of these around here , thats a wicked looking fish

ECAS Member

I know that Finatics in Bedford, NS had a few in last weekend... make sure you do your research Nabom before getting one, they have specific requirements :)

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Convict Click here to enlarge
    I know that Finatics in Bedford, NS had a few in last weekend... make sure you do your research Nabom before getting one, they have specific requirements :)
    yes i try and research as much as i can before i get anything. the puffer would definately be a while away yet im just starting to try and get a cichlid tank going know for the kids so that will keep me busy and studying enough... thank god for google lol