Thread: Hitchhicker IDs and what to do with them (Ask questions here)

Club Supporter

Hitchhicker IDs and what to do with them (Ask questions here)

Hi Folks,

Since we are seeing some more on the marine side of the fence (exciting!) and lots of newcomers, I thought I would make a thread of some of the common (or sometimes, not so common) creepy crawlies we find in our tanks. I will update this thread, with new pictures and information as it becomes available. I'm going to scour my photos for some, and I would ask you to all do the same!

Also, if you have a hitchhiker that you have no idea what it is, post it in this thread! Once it is ID'd then we can add it to the big list. Also, please let these be your own pictures for copyright reasons. Wouldn't want to irritate the original owner of the picture!

Now.. Onto the identificiation!

ALGAE

Diatom Algae
    A very common issue, especially in new reef aquariums, and will generally go away on it's own. CUC will eat this algae.

Click here to enlarge

Spindleweed
    A more uncommon calciferous macro algae (neomeris annulata). I removed it from my tank by putting the affected rocks in my sump. Nothing eats it, and while it is often labeled as "harmless" it can reach plague proportions. Personally, I would remove it.

Click here to enlarge

CRITTERS

Spirobid Worms
    Generally, a harmless filter feeder. Can be unsightly though, and can infest things such as powerheads, pumps, skimmers, etc and affect performance. I remove any that may cause problems (like on my powerheads, etc) but leave the ones on the rocks, etc. They can be easily scraped off glass with a razor.

Click here to enlarge

Amphipods
    There are many many species of amphipods - some 7000 or so. Good scavengers, and are generally harmless. Good sources of food for various fish.

Click here to enlarge

Last edited by carriej; 09-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Club Supporter

Oh... And if people have better pictures than mine feel free to post them and I will replace them! I will add pictures as things either pop up in my tank or you lovely people post stuff :)

Official ECAS vendor

This is one creature that I've never had come in as a hitch-hiker, however it does occasionally happen and I happen to have some ok pics of one we ordered in! The good old Peacock Mantis Shrimp (A Stomatopod). When you don't know its in there, these guys can be trouble, but in a proper setup, these are some of the neatest creatures under the sea!

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by JoelM; 09-04-2013 at 11:10 AM.