Thread: Phospahte issues...again.

ECAS member

Phospahte issues...again.

After having hair algae push me to the brink, I had to reboot my tank. I setup my 40 gal FOWLR tank as follows. RO/DI water, Reef octopus BH100 Skimmer, Fluval C4, Crushed coral, reduced LR down to 30lbs(just for now),Quad T5 HO lighting, on about 8 hours. 2 clowns and one blue hermit . Parameters are perfect, not enough phosphate to spot and dKH just slightly high(aiming to start a reef tank).When I rebooted the tank, I was very careful rinsing the LR and setting the parameters. After a lot of work,10 days later I noticed that there was a very small amount of hair algae starting to form.so, out come the scrubber. The only thing I can think of that may be causing this is phosphate leaching from the LR? I'm not running a reactor (yet), and I'm kinda hesitant to start dosing NOPOX because it didn't really help much last time when I was running well water. I cant prove it's the LR but the substrate is new, the skimmer is new, the filter is not, TDS's were fine when I mixed the water up. What do I do? get a larger cleanup crew until I get set up with a reactor?

Club Supporter

Whats in the filter for media?

ECAS member

Could be the silicates from the rock leaching out, or was it all purchased live? Is there a tds meter on your rodi? Could be time to change them filters..

sorry just saw about the tds-but yes you certainly need to get a clean up crew in there to keep excess nutrients down....

i looooove this link: http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.ph...d=54&Itemid=60 might give you some sort of idea as to what's going on
    Last edited by Dukey88; 09-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.

ECAS member

Not running anything for media as of the moment. Once I get a reactor, I'll certainly be running GFO. The rock was all purchased live, but it was in the tank that I had constant hair algae issues due to high phosphate well water. I spent a lot of time scrubbing and rinsing the LR in order to avoid any leaching...

Club Supporter

You don't have much in there to make phospate, and since you say you're reading 0 on source water it could be overfeeding, etc or something like that.

Silly question, but what did you rinse the LR in?

ECAS member

I let it sit in the tanks old water while I was awaiting delivery on the new 4stage RO/DI setup. Then I rinsed it in fresh RO/DI water. Likely not the best move, but I didn't think that mixing salty water just for the sake of rinsing would make any significant difference. Thank you for your help!

Club Supporter

Fresh RO/DI water as in fresh water? If you rinsed your live rock in freshwater, it unfortunately is not very live anymore... :(

ECAS member

I generally would agree.... The coralline and featherdusters seem to be still kicking though.

Club Supporter

That's quite interesting that the featherdusters are still kicking. Coralline is particularly tough. I scrub my powerheads in RO/DI weekly and it always survives - no surprise there.

However, we can assume a large portion of your beneficial bacteria was nuked along with any other sensitive critter(s).

I would definitely suggest starting out adding some clean up crew members.

ECAS member

Thank you!!!