Thread: Meet Rich Gannon - New Greyhound foster dog

Club Supporter

Meet Rich Gannon - New Greyhound foster dog

Hi Guys,

As most of you know, I lost both my sweet greyhounds this summer. Some of you even got the chance to meet my chill boys at last years social; and those of you who know me know how much I miss them.

I debated on another dog... I debated all kinds of breeds, I debated puppies... Then I debated not getting any, because unfortunately part of owning a pet is one day having to say goodbye; their lives are so short. I had my mind settled - no dogs. No more, it's too much pain to lose them.

Yet each and everyday, I woke up looking for my hounds. My days felt long, and I was miserable. My husband and I have no kids; and due to my autoimmune disease; we may never be able to have kids.

I got an e-mail sent out to me about a month ago from the rescue we adopted our boys from; just a generic e-mail asking for help from everyone on the mailing list. She needed one more foster to save just 1 more dog. Her goal was to save 10 dogs (Deb was actually on global news tonight if anyone watched and seen the hounds). I thought of my dogs; how they could have been left behind, and what wonderful creatures the world would have missed out on. I had fostered one dog this summer already (a sweet little greyhound named Muffin who went to someone in NS somewhere).

So I signed us up without even telling my husband (lol), and that night he was reading the e-mail and seen our names as foster parents. He was perplexed, but he misses the dogs too so he didn't say much.

I said; just one dog. Just saving one... They go through so much trouble to save them; bring them all the way from the states to rescue them - I can put my foot forward as the issue is finding suitable foster homes so they can be adopted out. These dogs have never, ever been inside a house and have never played with toys or been treated like a pet; as they are a work animal. People who are willing to put the effort in though; get quite a spectacular pooch at the end.

So, without further ado... Meet Rich Gannon. He raced at about 73lbs.. Could probably gain about 3-5lbs of body weight. He is a good size boy. He has been getting lots of cookies here; so hopefully he will start to put some weight on soon. He has been taking retirement seriously with lots of naps.

The good news is we fostered with intent to adopt... Just incase, so that if we want to adopt him we can. I'm still trying to come to terms with having a young dog running around the house (he's 2) when I'm used to my old grandpa dogs. However Rich is pretty charming :)

When we picked him up
    Click here to enlarge

Chilling in the back of my SUV using my husbands hockey bag as a pillow.
    Click here to enlarge

Look at that face :)
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

look into those eyes! At 2yrs he still has lots of love for "someone special"! and he is GORGEOUS!! I love him and all I see of him is his picture; give your husband lots of cookies and smile a lot; maybe you can honour your boys by giving him a lovely life. just look at those eyes.,................a person can get lost in them.
    But it wasn't my fault teacher, my fish ate my homework

ECAS member

he is so cute

ECAS member

Very cool..to be honest they were never a dog i was fond of but really like that one...love his colors

Super Moderator

Beautiful boy! I hope he fits in well with you, and he would be one lucky pooch if you did adopt him. I know a number of people who have rescued Greyhounds, and all of them are so glad they took these dogs into their homes.

Club Supporter

He's howling his fool head off right now... lol... The joys!

ECAS member

Just adorable!

ECAS member

love to color pattern on this one. good luck !

id also like some cookies

Club Supporter

I love the brindle pattern. He is so handsome. As you well know you have been sucked in again, but it is so worth it. I feel horrible seeing animals being treated badly and with no homes. I always visit the spca cats at the pet store and would love to bring another home but with 2 strays already, a dog, a lizard and my fish, well..... I'm sure you know.

I must say, he must not have a great sense of smell if he is laying on hockey gear! Click here to enlarge Of course, he is a dog so maybe he likes it.

Enjoy!

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Congrats Carrie :) He is a beautiful boy. I gave some serious thought to adopting one a little while ago but I haven't had a dog since I was a kid and I'm not sure I'm ready for it and I certainly know my poor 14 year old cat isn't :)

ECAS member

very handsome dog how can you help bring him home when he looks at youClick here to enlarge with those eyes .

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej Click here to enlarge
    He's howling his fool head off right now... lol... The joys!
    Just like a man for you. Click here to enlarge
    But it wasn't my fault teacher, my fish ate my homework

ECAS member

he's a looker :) have fun with him for whatever amount of time you do have him .
    Support your local fish stores ...if you don't...you won't have them..and then it is too late to whine about it ...

Club Supporter

Thanks guys.

He ate a piece of plastic today so I'm on poop patrol... I don't miss this part of owning dogs lol

Club Supporter

And incase anyone was wondering...

He pooped out the plastic. LOL

ECAS member

Whew! I'm so glad he pooped out the plastic, and thanks for sharing!Click here to enlarge

I have a Hymalayan cat that loves to eat plastic too, so I can relate to your patrol watch! lol
    I hear you when you say it's so hard when you own animals, and the time comes when you have to say goodbye, at the end of their life, and you're not sure you can go through it again.....but look at it this way Carrie. Think of all the years of pleasure you get from having them around. Isn't that worth the heartache in the end?
    There was a saying I remember, if you don't have them to cry over, you won't have them to laugh over either. Weigh your options.
    He's a keeper for sure. Click here to enlarge
    Bosemani Rainbows/ Clown Loaches / BN Plecos, 1 Regular, 1 Albino Long Finned.