Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POTM Future/Suggestions

Club Supporter

POTM Future/Suggestions

Hi Guys,

I have noticed participation has decreased with our POTM - I did a POTM break in the summer as I attributed low participation due to people being busy during the summer months. However, I only had
    6 entries this month!

At the beginning of the year; I had to cut it down to one picture a person because we were reaching our poll limits. I was absolutely flooded with pictures and it was taking me about an hour+ to do the POTM. Which is why I had to create the rules; for everyone to resize their own photos so I wasn't spending so much time resizing photos.

Joey & I want everyone to participate and enjoy the forum; so if there are any reason why you are not participating; or if you have any suggestions as to how the photo of the month can be improved, let me know!

ECAS member

I like the potm, last few months I lost the camera, then just couldn't get a good pic. I like the themes a lot. Not good at giving suggestion.
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

Super Moderator

If i remember correctly POTM took a bit to catch on seems it shut down for the summer right as it reached it's peak (although i may have not been around as much in the summer to see the dip lol)

Either way i think it'll just take a couple months to pick up again! I'll do my best to participate in the future, fully intend on jumping in this month just didn't get around to it!
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

I was always just too intimated to participate! Getting my tanks set up the way I want has been a long process and I do not have a good camera or the skills that some of the very talented people here have. Now that my tanks are well established I feel ready to participate and wanted to do so this month, but the theme was just a little too specific to match anything I have going on. I've also been working 60-70 hrs a week fora few months now so I admittedly haven't been online at all much, let alone being an active member here ( just a creeper again mostly haha) Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I think each month it shouldn't be limited to certain things. Photography is about an open mind if you say do this and only this its hard to be more creative. I think each month should be open to any aspect of the hobby and I think more people will join in. Tanks, fish, plants, saltwater stuff ect. Also, people need to relax and have fun with it. Even with a cheap junk camera its still nice for people to see! so everyone thinking of putting photos in, do it!
    x2 Giant snakeheads, x5 armatus, 2x spotted African lungfish, 3X TATF, ornate bichir, florida gar, MBU puffer, 2 indo dats, 2 spotted daemon, silver arowana. WTB: goliath! - electric eel

Super Moderator

I kind of like there being a theme every once in a while. Not every month, but to spice things up. I think things will pick up again, and the POTM will be bursting with entries! I love seeing everyone's photos, so I really hope it does.

ECAS member

i just cant seem to get any decent pictures lately .

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Do your best with the pictures guys. I just use my cell phone. The pictures are great, but its fun.

ECAS Member

I like the POTM... I think that people should just have fun with it... I don't think about winning when I put one up, I just think of contributing :) Doesn't have to be perfect ;)

ECAS member

ill try it out im newby around here but sounds fun enough to me... i got nothing to match most the pics i been seeing, but ill try it out anyways

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by igotaducky Click here to enlarge
    I was always just too intimated to participate! Getting my tanks set up the way I want has been a long process and I do not have a good camera or the skills that some of the very talented people here have. Now that my tanks are well established I feel ready to participate and wanted to do so this month, but the theme was just a little too specific to match anything I have going on. I've also been working 60-70 hrs a week fora few months now so I admittedly haven't been online at all much, let alone being an active member here ( just a creeper again mostly haha) Click here to enlarge
    I'm not good at taking pictures but I figured oh well, I'll try anyway. This month was the first time I submitted a picture. Sure there are others that may be better than mind but remember, what may be a striking picture to one person isn't necessarily the same to another. It is a matter of preference.

If nothing else, it can be fun.

ECAS member

A lot of times I vote for whats in the pic, rather then the quality. I don't have a good camera, and I don't expect everyone else to have one either. A cute widdle fishy face can shine no matter what type of camera or skills you have :)

Also with a little bit of practice, you can really get some nice shots with a cheap camera. Because of the competition between companies, most cameras these days have the ability to take pretty good pics, just need to get to know your camera and practice, and what better way to practice then with small monthly contests with friends??
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member

POTM is fun, keep it going! I may not enter a pic every month but I'll try :)

Club Supporter

I just don't have Orange fish.

Well that and Red threatened me that if she didn't get another medal I was going to get hurt :P

ECAS member

camera is not working and I have a red Oscar who is orange and blackClick here to enlarge
    But it wasn't my fault teacher, my fish ate my homework

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nuggs Click here to enlarge
    I just don't have Orange fish.

Well that and Red threatened me that if she didn't get another medal I was going to get hurt :P

RED!

Stop threatening the forum goers!
    Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by carriej Click here to enlarge
    RED!

Stop threatening the forum goers!
    Click here to enlarge
    Nevahhh! Click here to enlarge Get out the way!

In all seriousness though, the POTM is all for fun. No one should feel intimidated. It isn't about winning; it is a great way to share, as well as get better with your camera skills. If you see a picture that you really love, it is an opportunity for you to ask that person for tips/tricks. I just love seeing lots of entries, and ogling the tanks and fish!

Club Supporter

Hey I was thinking next month should be based on fish faces. I think it would be fun and probably some great pics submitted.

ECAS Member

On another forum I'm on they just did fish looking at their reflections that was cute too :)

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JayP Click here to enlarge
    Hey I was thinking next month should be based on fish faces. I think it would be fun and probably some great pics submitted.
    Like this?

Click here to enlarge

Or like this:

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast