Thread: Trouble catching fish

ECAS member

Trouble catching fish

Well, my water turned green this fall. Not sure why, maybe some balance upset, or the plants dying early due to frost and not using as much nutrients. It was late in the season so I didn't worry about it too much. Anyhow, it was getting cold, I wasn't feeding anymore due to the water temperature being too low. I decided it was time to bring the fish inside. It was October 26th.

Click here to enlarge

Let me tell you, it is very difficult to catch fish when you can't see them. Even in a pond as small as mine. As soon as we brought the nets out and started poking around, the fish disappeared. There was no way we were going to catch them with the small nets we had.

I recruited my fiance to help me catch the fish. He is very helpful for when I need to lift large buckets full of water and he has some good insight too. Anyhow, he helped me design and build several versions of a large net-like thing. I didn't get a lot of pictures because I was busy fishing, but my Mom took some.

Click here to enlarge

The first version involved two long sticks and a very large sheet of plastic. The idea was we could corral the fish into one end of the pond and maybe even force them up to the surface. It sorta worked... once. We caught one koi (Rin, the black/brown one) with the plastic.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Then we moved onto another design involving bird netting. The plastic was too hard to drag though the water and easy for the fish to avoid. I didn't know if the bird netting would be strong enough, but it proved quite durable. Again we used two sticks with the bird netting strung between them. This did not work. The bottom was loose and it was impossible to tell if it was on the bottom of the pond in the middle. I suspect the fish swam right under it.

We realized we needed some type of scoop or something. Like a pond sized fish net with ridged sides. I decided tying another stick on the bottom of our net and attaching it to the uprights might work. So I found a stick and attached it to the bottom of our current rig, in a flat sided U shape. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it... although it is still sitting outside.... maybe I will go take some pictures later.

This design proved successful. First we caught Chip, the quick little koi. Then on the next scoop we caught the rest of the koi! At that point I decided we had enough to take them down to the basement tank, we had all five koi.

Click here to enlarge

I decided to photograph them at that point too. Unfortunately, my water was green and it was getting a bit dark, so I wasn't happy with the photos. Maybe I will fish them out of the basement tank and try again sometime. I will post the ones I got soon.

After the koi were moved to the tank we went back out to try to catch the goldfish and couldn't catch even one. I have four big goldfish in the pond and we couldn't catch any of them. Who said koi were smarter than goldfish? I think they are, but this experience is trying to prove me wrong.

I moved the filter to the basement tank after that. I figure the four goldfish should be fine in the pond until I catch them. I am not feeding them anything, so they shouldn't foul the water too fast. Although at this rate they might spend the whole winter in there. I managed to catch one with the big net yesterday, but no luck with the others. Maybe the water will clear up enough that I can net them.

At the end of the day, I had a mess around the pond and fish in the basement. It was mostly successful.
    Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

looks like quite the ordeal !

I'm curious, could you not drain the pond making it much easier to to catch the fish ?
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

ECAS member

And here are the fish photos I got. Fish are hard to photograph..... they tend to move around a lot.

The lengths are approximate. I don't know how old my fish were when I got them, so I'm not sure of the age. Except for Chip, he was my one surviving fry from last summer.

Heroku - Female
    Age - 4?
    Length - 15"
    Sanke (or Showa....)
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Akira - Male
    Age - ????? got him this spring, no idea how old he was
    Length - 15"
    Yamabuki
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rin - Female
    Age - 3?
    Length - 14.5''
    No particular variety
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Michi - Male
    Age - 3?
    Length - 14"
    Shiro utsuri
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Chip - ???
    Age - 1.5
    Length - 6"
    Sanke
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    looks like quite the ordeal !

I'm curious, could you not drain the pond making it much easier to to catch the fish ?
    I thought about that... but it would take quite some time to pump out, and then I would like to fill it up again so it has water in it during the winter. I don't want the sides to collapse. It would make it simple to catch the fish, but I was reluctant to do it for whatever reason.

ECAS member

some nice looking fish

ECAS member

very nice looking fish
    x2 Giant snakeheads, x5 armatus, 2x spotted African lungfish, 3X TATF, ornate bichir, florida gar, MBU puffer, 2 indo dats, 2 spotted daemon, silver arowana. WTB: goliath! - electric eel

ECAS Member

Very nice fish and pond... it's hard to get fish out of a small tank, nevermind a pond.... I can't imagine hehe

ECAS member

Catching fish is very easy if you have the right net....a 20 "pan net would work quite well for you pond. Trout nets should not be used as they damage a fish. I moved all mine in before we went to Europe....took about 20 minutes. Next time you want to catch your fish call me I'll lend you a net.

Your 1st fish is a sanke with a couple of stay sumi spots on its head. 2nd fish might have started out as a Yamabuki but with it now being two colours...white and yellow along with being metallic its a Hariwaki. The shiro utsuri is more of a messed up shiro bekko as the sumi doesn't look like it goes below the lateral line. The little sanke is heading to be a shiro bekko as the hi will disappear as it grows
    Last edited by Graham; 11-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graham Click here to enlarge
    Catching fish is very easy if you have the right net....a 20 "pan net would work quite well for you pond. Trout nets should not be used as they damage a fish. I moved all mine in before we went to Europe....took about 20 minutes. Next time you want to catch your fish call me I'll lend you a net.

Your 1st fish is a sanke with a couple of stay sumi spots on its head. 2nd fish might have started out as a Yamabuki but with it now being two colours...white and yellow along with being metallic its a Hariwaki. The shiro utsuri is more of a messed up shiro bekko as the sumi doesn't look like it goes below the lateral line. The little sanke is heading to be a shiro bekko as the hi will disappear as it grows
    Okay, I wasn't sure about the shiro. Thanks for the info. Ya I was disappointed to see the hi disappearing on that little one, oh well.

A proper net would be great, but wouldn't have helped this time due to poor water clarity. I couldn't see the fish at all though the green water. Usually I don't have too much trouble catching them when I can see them.

ECAS member

We drain ours and fill it up again .