Thread: Algae and sand bed questions

Club Supporter

Algae and sand bed questions

Is it a good or bad thing that my sand bed looks like this. If it is bad, what should I do to fix it?

[IMG]Click here to enlarge[/IMG]

Also, can someone tell me for sure, is this the beginnning of hair algae or something else. I don't mind the look of it on this one rock, but don't want it all over my tank. Good thing is that it is a rock that is out in the open and will be easy just to haul out and scrub off. I was thinking of getting a lawn mower blenny at some point so now think that soon may be as good a time as any.

Club Supporter

No marine tank keepers on who know the answer to this?

ECAS member

Sand bed looks fine to me. Mine looks similar and my tank is 4 years old. The algae I don't think is long hair green algae, it looks more like the start of a macro algae maybe. A tang or rabbitfish will make quick work of it.
    Crazy fish lady
    108 gallon mixed reef
    66 gallon fresh water

Club Supporter

I wish I could have a tang but my tank is just a bit too small. It would be good in the beginning but from what I'm told, a full grown tang will outgrow it. It is a 90 G. The only person who said it would be fine is at the pet store when they told me I could put a blue tang in there. Everyone here says no. Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

I just added a tomini tang to my 108 gallon. They are supposed to be one of the smaller tangs, not overly attractive yet but I hear they get more attractive as they mature. I'm sure one of these would do fine in a 90 gallon.
    Crazy fish lady
    108 gallon mixed reef
    66 gallon fresh water

ECAS Member

On your sand it's algae, mine looks like that too, I don't think anything stays pristine in a saltwater tank :) Liveaquaria says Tominis or Yellow Eyed Kole's are good in a 70 gallon and they are bristetooths, they will eat hair algae :) I would strongly suggest one or the other, they both look beautiful, I just got a Yellow Eyed Kole today from Maritime Reef but Derek has one too :) As soon as I got rid of my 3 tangs and my lawnmower crapped out I saw the hair algae again.... but easier to get rid of it naturally with fish eating it... and less work for you, especially since you have the tank size for it you should do it.

Club Supporter

I wonder if I have the space in my tank now for a tang. I do like the yellow eyed Kole I'll have to figure that out later.

I just got my first purchased coral. It is a green torch coral, one little head. I hope it doesn't take forever to grow into something a bit more substantial.
    Last edited by Celidh; 11-12-2013 at 12:28 AM.

ECAS member

If your water parameters are in good standings it shouldn't take too long to grow. Just keep up with regular water changes to replenish calcium and magnesium and alkalinity and it should do fine.
    Crazy fish lady
    108 gallon mixed reef
    66 gallon fresh water

Club Supporter

Water params are great, just checked them tonight.

I won some coral stuff for keeping healthy corals at a social in the summer. I'll have to check those out to see if and what I may be able to add to my tank to help since I'm starting to get my corals added now. I have a basic kit for checking ph, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia but not for checking anything else.

ECAS member

You won't have to worry a whole lot about all the other tests quite yet if you only have a few corals and like I said regular wc's is really all that's needed to keep parameters in check. You may want to get a large Rubbermaid tub to fill for your wc's. That way a few days before one is due you can fill it up, put a heater in it, and a powerhead, add your salt, and let it stir for a day or two. That's how I do it except I use ro water so I have to start filling a week early (they are slow).
    Crazy fish lady
    108 gallon mixed reef
    66 gallon fresh water

ECAS member

helpful tip: if you want a clean looking sand bed grab a spatula and run it between the sand bed and glass and it will make it look "clean":)