Thread: Anemone Split

ECAS Member

Anemone Split

So... I've been waiting for this for a while... and I thought it was looking funny so I turned off the powerhead to take a better look and lo and behold my Anemone Split...

I was expecting it to move around, go hide, do something weird when it was going to split but it stayed exactly where it was the whole time...

Now how do I get one off of the rock so I can sell it... or am I stuck with them like that if and until one decides to move?

The clown's face cracks me up hehe

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

From what I know and have been told the safest way is to gently rub/massage the foot of one and it will start to release without any tearing or damage. If the foot is visible and open you could also take a bag of ice I think and rub the bottom and it will begin to let go but make sure to only place for a short time before giving it a quick break. Hope I kind of helped:p good luck:) (you could always sell me it;p)

ECAS Member

Ryan your tank is too small and you don't have a light for it yet hehe. Get a 30g, get a light and you can have it :) I would even think a 20g would do if you had the right flow but I"m not expert.... I also read about putting a powerhead on it until it left... I don't want the other one to move tho... I'm going to give it a few more days, it was not split when I did my feeding video a few days ago so making sure that it's all healed up nicely :)

Club Supporter

Cool. I'd be excited to see that if it was mine. To me, it says you are doing things right.

Keep me in mind if/when you sell. Click here to enlarge

ECAS Member

I didn't see anything happen... I thought stuff was going to be obvious but I just looked last night and thought it looks weird... and then this morning I had to go see closer.... it came from an Anemone that splits all of the time so I figured it was just a matter of time, they are clones so I assume that they all act the same...

ECAS member

splitting ...that is good correct :)
    Support your local fish stores ...if you don't...you won't have them..and then it is too late to whine about it ...

ECAS member

Oh! I completely forgot to mention it's a temporary home:p I have a 29 long that's going to be converted if I don't get a 50g that I plan on buying:)

ECAS Member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rusty386 Click here to enlarge
    splitting ...that is good correct :)
    Yes Rusty, that is one way that they propagate. Keeping Anemone's in the aquarium is a bit of a controversial debate, considering that they split and create 2 duplicates of the original they can, in theory, live forever.... they don't live that long in the aquarium... mine is a split so it wasn't taken directly out of the ocean... not that I have anything against that... I just got it at a good price so I got it... but the good part about splits usually do better in the aquarium :)

ECAS Member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RyanCrouse Click here to enlarge
    Oh! I completely forgot to mention it's a temporary home:p I have a 29 long that's going to be converted if I don't get a 50g that I plan on buying:)
    I'll post it when it's ready... if I can get it off that rock.... what lights on your bigger tank? They need to do photosynthesis to live...

ECAS Member

Aren't they cute... the little buggers each claimed one for bed time
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

awwwww that is cute