Thread: How to: ID Euphyllia

Club Supporter

How to: ID Euphyllia

This seems to be a growing problem... I am constantly seeing ads selling Frogspawns, that in reality are hammers, or someone selling torches that are frogspawns, etc.

Euphyllia are my favorite group of corals, and I love them all. I'm going to a pretty easy and standard process so you can ID your own, ID future purchases, and essentially not get ripped off - as some (like torches) can be worth more. There is also something called a grape coral - which is sort of like a torch but we won't go there. This will be for the three common ones, Frogspawn, Torches and Hammers.

Obviously, depending on individual tank parameters and individual specimens things may vary - for example if you run a tank under lower light, (or the coral is simply just in lower light in your tank) it's polyps will expand and look a bit "bloated" as it's trying to get more light than someone who may keep the same coral from the same colony in a high light tank.

Now, there are different varieties to an extent (branching, non branching, different colors, slightly different tentacle shape etc) but what you're looking at is the individual tentacle. THIS will give you the answer you need. You also may have a slight mutation in tentacles or color, for example there is one tentacle on my torch that has two nubs side by side. It's still a torch - however even nature makes booboos.

Frogspawn (euphyllia divisa, euphyllia paradivisa, euphyllia yaeyamaensis)
    As you can see below, there are multiple "nubs" per tentacle. Sometimes there are quite a few "nubs" (especially in the case of octo-frogspawn) and sometimes there are only a few. More than one nub per tentacle - Frogspawn.

Click here to enlarge

Large view, and different color
    Click here to enlarge

Hammer Coral (euphyllia parancora, euphyllia ancora)
    As you can see below, there is one largish "nub" usually in the shape of a C and sometimes they aren't as pronounced and can be shaped almost like a little hammer (thus the name). However, one "nub" per tentacle.

Typical
    Click here to enlarge

"Hammer"
    Click here to enlarge

Torch Coral (euphyllia glabrescens
    As you can see below, there are two common varieties. A long, almost spaghetti like variety with a single, small rounded tip, and a shorter, more compact version.

Long, spaghetti like
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Short type, a lot of the rarer ones (like australian gold torches) are shorter, it seems.
    Click here to enlarge

Now, everyone should be able to ID their own euphyllia properly. However, if you're still not feeling oh-so-confident...

Just call it Euphyllia and everyone wins!

ECAS Member

Or pretty flowey corals... thanks for the info Carrie :)

ECAS Ambassador/Forum Moderator

Great info Carrie & thanks for sharing :)

ECAS member

as someone just getting into salt i can see how its hard to keep these straight. thanks for the info