Thread: Problem with new tank set up - HELP

Club Supporter

Problem with new tank set up - HELP

Ok, so I took my fish out of my 40g tank and drained it so I can fill my new tank. The new tank was supposed to go on the same stand but after I got all my fish out and the old tank empty and put the new on on the stand, I come to find out my stand is about 1/2 an inch too small. I can't put the new tank on it because it will be sitting on the glass on the bottom, not the frame. We all know what will happen with that.

My big issue is the fish I have sitting in buckets. I have my new discus (who are already stressed from being brought home) in one bucket. In another bucket I have 2 angels and my plants. In another small bucket (nowhere near big enough to leave them in), I have tetras and corys.

I have a 100w heater and a 6g filter that I could rig up for the discus but I'm afraid the heater may fry the discus since they are in an 11 litre ice cream pail.

The other bucket I thought maybe I could ad an airstone to and have the angels, corys and tetras together but there will be no heat. I checked the water with no heat and it is about 77 or 78. I'm thinking that although it is a bit low, the angels and other fish would be ok over night with that. My new heater is way to big for that pail. This would only be until tomorrow after work when I can bring home a piece of plywood to put on the top of my stand so it fits the tank.

Suggestions would be a great help, other than next time measure better to make sure my tank fits.

ECAS member

why not set the new tank on the floor and put the fish in it. Just add water, heater and filter, then when you are ready for it, drain and set up on stand?? If the new tank is really big, only half fill it, or whatever you feel the fish would be comfortable in.

Or set the 40 gallon back up for them, fill with water and go, better then losing the fish.
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member

Go get a peice of 3/4'' plywood the right size and set it on the stand...or set the old tank back up for the moment...don't put a heater in a bucket
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

Club Supporter

My plan is to get the plywood tomorrow but not much I can do at 11 pm at night unfortunately.

I can't set it up on the floor because I have two cats taht would be in it in a second.

Super Moderator

No wood hanging around in the shed/garage I suppose? I would set the old tank back up again for the night. It is safer than buckets, and shouldn't take too long if it just bare. Good luck!

ECAS Member

What did you do? How did it go??

ECAS member

well how did things go

Club Supporter

I filled my tank back up just enough to run the filter (I only needed it overnight) and put the fish back in. I had to leave it on the kitchen floor because everyone was sleeping and I couldn't move it alone. I guess my cats left it alone but my partner said they were having a good stare when she got up this morning.

I feel bad for the fish, they were taken out of their home, put in buckets, then back in the tank and now they are in their new home. I'm watching my new discus carefully because they were moved from Joey's on Sunday into my tank and were still stressed. I hope over the next few days they eat.

So far, everyone is still alive. I have pics up of my new set up.