Thread: Suggestions for a 1 g. tank

Club Supporter

Suggestions for a 1 g. tank

My daughter gave me a little 1g tank for Christmas. Obviously, I know this isn't big enough to do much with but I can't switch it for something bigger since it came from my 10 year old.

I'm thinking of making it a planted dirt bottom shrimp tank. It does have a little 5w bulb in it but it looks like just a Christmas bulb so I would most likely need low light plants. I'm looking for suggestions for plants.

Also, if someone has a different suggestion with this tank, I'm open to that. I originally thought about putting a dwarf frog in it because Jenah loves them and wants one but from what I read, they need something bigger.

Ok, I'm waiting for ideas now. Click here to enlarge

Super Moderator

The smallest shrimp tank I have had is 2g, but a planted one could certainly work! I wouldn't want to put much else in a 1g. Some people would say betta, but I really don't like keeping them in anything that small.

ECAS member Snake Champion Asteroids Champion

I would do 4 or 5 shrimps, for plants you could do alot of possibilities, any low light carpets, moss balls/ moss in general.
    My parents wont let me get any more tanks

OR assassin snails! fun little project

Club Supporter

Thanks. I like the idea of shrimps more than assassin snails. They are more interesting.

I'd like to have some sort of grassy type plant that will cover the bottom and then a taller plant at the back. I'm horrible with plants. i don't even know the names of the plants in the tanks I have.

Super Moderator

I have grown Micro Sword in low light. It does not grow fast in those conditions, but it does grow as long as you give it a nutritious bottom. Most of the other "grassy" plants would not survive in low light. Java Moss makes a good carpet alternative, but can get a little stringy looking in low light. For midground you could do Narrow Leaf Java Fern, which stays very low, but taller than the Micro Sword. Anubias barteri var. Nana could look really nice tied onto a bit of wood or some small rocks in the mid too. Most Crypts get a bit leggy in low light, but might make a nice background plant in that size tank. Bacopa might do nicely in the back too, as I have had it do well in very low light.

Club Supporter

Red, what do you use in the bottom of your planted tanks?

I found this plant but I doubt I could find it. Pogostemon helferi - http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla...-helferi-.aspx

It's quite cool looking.

I have micro sword on my list of possibilities. I'd like my background plant to have a bit of colour in it. I also really like bacopa.

I have a rock in my daughters tank that has what I believe is java moss on it. It doesn't seem to grow that much but I also haven't done anything to help it grow. I am thinking of putting that in my little tank.

I'm excited for this, even it is will be a nano sized nano tank! LOL I looked at the soil at Walmart but it all seems to have perlite in it or doesn't list what's in it. I heard you don't want perlite because it floats. they also all have extra added stuff to it, fertilizer and such. I don't know if that is good or bad.

I have plain old dirt in big bags I bought for my garden but they are out in my shed and hasn't been shovelled. Would that work?

I know, it is just little so why make a big deal but I want to do this right and if it works, maybe I will convert my daughters 25 g tank to planted with dirt. There are already plants in there and I'm sure they would do much better with something other than gravel. I know I have a heck of a time keeping the big sword in place in there.

I like the idea of tiny planted tanks...I have a 1.5 tetra cube thing I picked up for 2 bucks at a yardsale!!! I have 4 or 5 red cherry shrimplets and some java moss and frogbit, Im planing on getting some real substrate and plants for it soon

ECAS member

With a small tank I find it much easier to grow plants. Less room to fill and all that, so if you can find some of the higher level plants you could try them out, wouldn't be losing much if they don't make it.

Also you might have success using it as a window tank. I find small tanks really fun with natural light (or any size tank). Can take time to balance things though so will take some messing.

I would use the plain garden dirt you have in the shed, just take out any big chunks of wood that may be there. You could add other stuff yourself like clay and such but with such a small tank I wouldn't even bother. Cover it with a little sand and plant. I would await awhile to add shrimp though, make sure nothing is leeching.

Will give you practice, see how you like dirt before doing your daughters bigger tank :)
    ​ DIRTY 4 LIFE
    Once you go dirt, you never go back!!!!!

ECAS member Space Invaders Champion

I run a 1 gal with a planting sub (it was extra) with a huge clump of java moss a stem plant and some floating plant. I have about 10 cherrys in it and it's been up and healthy for months

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by undergroundvid Click here to enlarge
    I run a 1 gal with a planting sub (it was extra) with a huge clump of java moss a stem plant and some floating plant. I have about 10 cherrys in it and it's been up and healthy for months
    Very deep sub as I buried a smallish sponge filter in there was well and that does wonders

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by undergroundvid Click here to enlarge
    What plants do you have other than the java moss?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    What plants do you have other than the java moss?
    A very small stem plant that i dont know. Small java fern and some star grass.

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    Red, what do you use in the bottom of your planted tanks?

I found this plant but I doubt I could find it. Pogostemon helferi - http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla...-helferi-.aspx

It's quite cool looking.

I have micro sword on my list of possibilities. I'd like my background plant to have a bit of colour in it. I also really like bacopa.
    I have eco complete with flourite in some, ADA aquasoil in some, and laterite mixed with soil capped with sand in others. All work about the same, with the ADA tanks having the slight edge in terms of root feeder growth.

I have some Pogostemon helferi, and I could probably divide off a bit for you to get started. I think Hugh can order it in as well.

Colour is a bit of a problem in low light tanks, as most need high light to not just be green. I mean, even Bacopa turns red in my high light tanks! If the tank backs on a window, then you should be able to grow some red plants in the back. Maybe Ludwigia ripens.