Thread: Going Brackish! I think, giving me the "for Dummies" basics.

ECAS member

Going Brackish! I think, giving me the "for Dummies" basics.

I'm going for a brackish tank as my next project, I'm very eager to get rolling on the project. The goal is to make a brackish shrimp tank, I'm interesting in "super shrimp" aka Hawaiian red shrimp. This will be a non-planted setup. I'm following in the footsteps of someone else I read online going with a crushed coral + crushed volcanic rock substrate, and decorated with lava rocks. This will be to create sort of a realistic simulation of thier natural environment. I would also like to grow some algae as thats their primary food choice, so I am going to need lots and if I can get some of the ones that grow into large nice looking structures I will.

So quick questions:

Brackish tips, tricks? How to test? best salts and chems to use.. etc

How do you intentionally grow Algae especially those fancy kinds?

I'm also interested in obtaining a few things I have not seen before - A a submersible sponge filter, aquarium grade lava rock, and I am looking for the shrimp themselves I've found people who will ship them to me from the US but I would like something a little easier.. boarders can be a pain for this sort of a thing. I want the maximum amount of shrimp to survive.

I'm completely lost on this subject, I'm new to brackish and this will be entirely a shrimp tank With the exception of perhaps ONE nirite snail. Any help would be appreciated.

ECAS Member

First start the water salinity off at what he shrimp are in and then go from there... if you are getting them from fresh water put them in fresh water and go brackish from there. If they are already in brackish then move your tank up to their salinity before getting them.

I use Instant Ocean salt, usually the cheapest and pretty good salt.

You need to get a hydrometer or refractometer to measure your salinity... honestly for a brackish setup a hydrometer will be find, they are like $10 at any pets store. refractometers are more like $50ish

You should only up the salinity by 0.02 per week to allow the freshwater bacteria to die as the sw bacteria grows, more than that and you will shock your bacteria and will cycle your tank again.

Don't fret too much, brackish water is chaotic in nature with rain and drought :)

Macroalgaes will be hard to find, they are really hard to import, maybe too much paperwork I don't know, they just need some light to grow and they suck up nitrates :) You might be able to get some stuff from some hobbyist around here like chaeto and green grape culpera and once in a while some other stuff.

You should grow Mangroves in your setup :)

Did you check Shrimp Fever or ask if he can bring them in??

ECAS Member

Also, foam is usually a bad idea for any saltwater settup, it's a nitrate factory, use macroalgae, mangroves and live rock :)

ECAS member

This is going to be a nan-tank setup.. I'm probably going to use the fluval flora for it.. or a smaller set up. I've been speaking to others who have done these tanks and they have literally 50 to 90 more shrimp in such tanks. It'll also be adjacent to my big cray tank so I'll probably forget the lighting and use the indirect light of my tank to suit my purposes. I've been told small amounts of light work best for this.

I appreciate all the tips so far. I'm copy/pasting them now to use as reference.

ECAS Member

I did brackish for almost a year... it was very easy.... same as freshwater :)

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Convict Click here to enlarge
    I did brackish for almost a year... it was very easy.... same as freshwater :)
    That's great news... :D