Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A very sad night for me

ECAS Member

There has to be something in the water for that to happen.... really scary :(

ECAS member

I honestly don't know. Wiser people than me might be able to figure this out, but I am at a loss.
    125 G - Kipili F1 Frontosa and Placidochromis Phenochilus Colonies
    30 G - Low-Tech Planted

ECAS member

so what should I do now to make sure it get cycled this time and everythings fine before I think about getting more fish

ECAS member

what got me stumped iswhat would cause all them to die inmy tank if my levels were normal and I did everything right

ECAS member

did you bring over your old gravel? is there a chance it had something to do with it? im sorry for all your losses, its even worse when you dont know what happened:( i have some cichlids but the wrong type:( hope someone can help you out, check kijiji. some people sell them for like a buck a piece

Club Supporter

I would say that there was some foreign contaminant.

ECAS member

I took the crused coral I had in my old tank from witch the cichlids came from and put it in the new tank and the filter and sponge filters only thing new was the heaters

ECAS member

Very sorry to hear. I hope you find out what the issue was. Don't get discouraged.

Sounds like something foreign to me for such a quick death rate. Is there anything you can think of that got in there.

The only fish I have that I can part with are convicts. Probably not what you are looking for, but you are more than welcome if you want them.

ECAS member

as much as id love to take some convicts id like more colorful ones andi find them to aggressive I like the colors cause my 22 month old son loves to watch the colors

ECAS member

yeah, all i have is 2 convicts and 2 jewels:/

ECAS member

the jewels are they adults

ECAS Member

I know a lot of people are gonna shout out wronggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg answer but a new tank is all ways hard i had a 60 that was brand new could not for the life of me keep angels a live in that tank if you know any one that has a filter and are about to do a clean up on the filter get the used filter from them and some of the dirty water from the filter dump it in the tank.. and let it cycle see if you can find a few mollies or something cheap and try them in there too see what happens Only a suggestion it has worked in the past for me

ECAS member

Ya I don't know what I'm gonna do. I got a add looking for cichlids but so far not luck

ECAS member

Was the tank resealed? Maybe with the wrong stuff? That's the only thing I could think of that would cause massive die offs like that if your parameters are ok.

ECAS member

It was brand new out of the store

ECAS member

Hmm did you rinse it or anything before filling it up? My guess if you didn't rinse it out that some contaminants were on the glass. If not, it sounds like a cycling issue. How old is your test kit? How long did you cycle it for? I'm sorry I didn't read the whole thread.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Guppies_pond Click here to enlarge
    Ya I'll tested it but last time I tested it it was ammonia 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.0 nitrites 0
    This tank was just water with some calcium in it;the readings should never look like those.I think t may have been a quick increase of ammonia.At 8 ph it would be toxic.
    The next time you move fish move the dirty filter and dirty substrate,in a couple of hours add the fish.
    Last edited by blue lagoon; 02-01-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added a sentence
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

But it was the same filter I had already on the tank and same substrate I had in the tank so it wasn't like it was something new

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Guppies_pond Click here to enlarge
    But it was the same filter I had already on the tank and same substrate I had in the tank so it wasn't like it was something new
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blue lagoon Click here to enlarge
    This tank was just water with some calcium in it;the readings should never look like those.I think t may have been a quick increase of ammonia.At 8 ph it would be toxic.
    The next time you move fish move the dirty filter and dirty substrate,in a couple of hours add the fish.
    It does look like, with no nitrate levels, something was off in the cycle. If the bacteria are feeding and functioning, you should see at least some nitrate. Usually a mini cycle is not a huge issue if you are lightly stocked and the pH is neutral or acidic: however, in your case all the fish were moved at once and the pH was high, making ammonia much more toxic much more quickly (as blue lagoon said).

It is not completely clear but it sounds like this was the way the tank was set up: you moved the filter and substrate over to the new tank where it sat for two days; the fish stayed in their old tank with a new (to the tank) sponge filter; no ammonia additions or 'ghost feeding' was done in the new tank with the old filter; after two days, all of the fish were moved over into the new tank. If that is correct, then several things could have contributed to the sudden death of the fish.

The first set of beneficial bacteria that form the 'cycle' need ammonia to eat or they begin to die off. Now, two days would not be enough to kill all of them, but there may have been a marked reduction in their numbers, leading to the filter no longer being able to handle the full biomass of the stocked tank. Had the fish been added slowly at that point, just a few each couple of days, you may not have had issues, because the bacteria would have been multiplying again, and able to handle the slow build of toxins.

The other possible contributing factor is that if the sponge in the old tank was not already cycled, and much of the substrate had been removed, there was a very small colony of bacteria left to keep the water safe. Over two days, even a small rise in ammonia could have stressed the fish so that the stress of a move plus a mini cycle in the new tank was too much for their systems. Most cichlids are pretty hardy, and a very short term swing may make them sick but not kill them (though Rift Lake cichlids are more vulnerable due to high pH), so my guess is that it was a number of spikes in ammonia contributed to the problem.

I am really sorry that this happened to you. You are right, it sounds like you did most everything correctly, it is just that (if I read the posts right) you got the timing a bit wrong. Hopefully you can get your new tank up and running with something you really enjoy, and recover from this awful experience.

ECAS member

im trying to recover but im looking to find African cichlids and posted a add looking for some when I get the tank recycled and running for atleast a week but no replies and im starting to loose hope of recovery from this point

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast