Thread: Unknown white stuff

ECAS member Snake Champion Asteroids Champion

Unknown white stuff

HELP

I have some white stuff on my fish, only on the neon tetras/ black neon tetra... Female betta died about a weekish ago, but I dont know if this is related or not.

Click here to enlarge

Black neon looks coded with it

Click here to enlarge

Card looks like he has abit as well

Please help me Identify as well as recommend treatment options.

Thanks
    My parents wont let me get any more tanks

ALso water is in good, and never had sick fish until now

ECAS Member

Looks like ich to me... best treatment is putting the heat up

Club Supporter

ich

ECAS Member

86F for 7-10 days and it will die... don't put the heat down even if there are no spots... do it for 7-10 days just to make sure

Ahhh poop, I guess Ill need to go buy a hotter heater now :(

Ich.

Putting the heat up will speed up their life cycle... but doesnt kill them. Once it appears to be gone, it has simply dropped off to multiply. A day later, its back on my fish then it started with.

only when they drop off the fish can the ick actually be treated. (this is why we put the heat up in the first place....but WILL NOT kill them)

There are tons of meds available for the fish.. get what ever brand you want, the local ones all have the same active ingredients(Malachite Green or formalin). Follow the directions.

Also, preventing in the future will be beneficial. Im assuming you have added new fish/plants/or used equipment in the last few weeks?

Super Moderator

Yup it's ich, and both are correct.

Raising temperatures does in fact speed up the life cycle, and it is correct med's effect ich in the free swimming stage this actually happens after they emerge from the substrate and are heading back to the fish. Essentially meds dont kill existing ich, they target the next generation after it reproduces. This is why most medications state to raise temperatures it speeds up the life cycle so that the ich reproduces and the next generation[s] get to the free swimming stage faster/more frequently and allow the medication to work.

With that said medications are not necessary, above 86f the ich will not be able to reproduce they'll quickly reach the end of their life cycle and be unable to begin a new generation. The spots on the fish will drop off in a day or so with those temps, they will not be able to reproduce, the generation present in the tank already in the tank will then just as quickly hit fre swimming form and attach to the fish, so spots reappear, but as that generation drops off there is nothing to replace them. 10 days at 86f is more then enough at to allow all ich at all stages to attach and detach then die off in the substrate without being able to reproduce.

The key to success is insuring temperatures are maintained at a stable 86+ for the entire time, All it takes is a cold spot or very brief period of time on a cold night where the tank dips below even by a degree or so and ich rapidly reproduces starting it over again.

Just to add with either treatment method keep in mind that good aeration is very important when dealing with high temperatures !
    Last edited by DevonC; 02-10-2014 at 07:19 PM. Reason: aeration is important lol
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri

Club Supporter

Remember too that the temps may melt certain plants, but at the same time if that plants are not treated they can re-infect the tank.

I got some meds, will 80f be fine, just take longer? My heater came pre set and I dont really want to purchase a new heater

ECAS member

No 80 will not work.. Needs to be 86

ECAS Member

I'm assuming that a new heater is better than replacing all of your fish and sterilizing your tank...

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CraigRets Click here to enlarge
    I got some meds, will 80f be fine, just take longer? My heater came pre set and I dont really want to purchase a new heater
    If your using medication my advice is follow the instructions on the bottle.

Keep in mind many medications will also kill off beneficial bacteria in your tank/filters. You should also remove any carbon from your filters if you use it in as it will remove the medication from the water, and if you dont have carbon you'll want to get some so that you can remove the medication later on after treatment.
    My Aquariums *Updated Feb. 2016
    180g- Scleropages aureus
    100g- 4x Channa Pleurophthalma , 1x Erpetoichthys Calabaricus, 2x Synodontis Eupterus, Polypterus ssp.'s Lapradei, Delhezi,Ornatipinnis ,Endlicheri & Angsorii x2
    160g- Carettochelys Insculpta
    100g- Pair Channa Aurantimaculata,
    80g 1x Channa Aurantimaculata (for sale...inquire)
    70g- Solo Channa Asiatica,
    30g- 1x Channa Gachua (for sale ... Inquire)
    35g- 3x Channa Gachua,
    35g- Pair of Channa Bleheri
    25g- 3x Channa Bleheri