• Forum Member's House

25 53.19%
  • Rented Venue

22 46.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Socials.... in a hobbyist's house or in a rented venue poll

ECAS Member

Socials.... in a hobbyist's house or in a rented venue poll

So maybe I'm not asking the right questions... I didn't get much response from the other social thread. I guess the first question is, are you guys still interested in socials? Second, do you prefer them to be in another hobbyist's house or in a rented venue like the place in Dartmouth, or another rented venue, doesn't need to be there.

We love socials but they are for the forum and it's member's :) If you want them :)

Please respond to the poll if you prefer house or rented venue. This will also give me an indication if you want us to have socials so only answer the question if you actually want socials and plan to attend some at some point. The poll is completely anonymous.

Of course if you have any suggestions you can post them below :)

ECAS member

I would definitely love to attend a social! I am still sad I missed out on the last one! And props again for trying to organize things! :D

Club Supporter

I don't mind either. There are pros and cons to both options. It is financially better to have it at someone's house but it is more work for the person having it. I'm good with either and do enjoy them and hope they continue.

ECAS member

I always enjoy getting out to the socials, granted the ones where its summer have been easier, the last one I bus'd and cabbed it home but I got discus so it was worth it :P But I always enjoy seeing the familiar faces, and usually handing Nuggs my money, damn him and his plants/shrimp lol
    133 Gallon - Community Discus
    10 gallon - Crayfish
    18 Gallon - Red Cherry Shrimp/Green Shrimp Tank
    Betta Tanks ( 4 )

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by thatangryviking Click here to enlarge
    I always enjoy getting out to the socials, granted the ones where its summer have been easier, the last one I bus'd and cabbed it home but I got discus so it was worth it :P But I always enjoy seeing the familiar faces, and usually handing Nuggs my money, damn him and his plants/shrimp lol
    LOL

ECAS member

Hosting a social

If scheduling works I am offering to host at my place in Kentville. Need to talk to someone about it.
    Thanks

ECAS member

Hello All,
    I have to confess I don't attend the socials. Not because I don't think they're a good idea, because I DO think they are a good venue to get to meet our fellow members, but mostly because I only have so much free time, and they are usually on a day I can't attend. I did vote though :)
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-05-2014 at 09:32 AM. Reason: left out something
    Bosemani Rainbows/ Clown Loaches / BN Plecos, 1 Regular, 1 Albino Long Finned.

ECAS member

I prefer someones house because then you get to see there tanks!!!

ECAS Member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nsfishguy Click here to enlarge
    I prefer someones house because then you get to see there tanks!!!
    That is what me and Stacey thought :)

ECAS member

Jw would anybody be taken African cichlids to the social cause if so I might have to go and ya it would be cool to have at someone's house to see thier setups and get some ideas about aquascaping and maybe learn something new

ECAS member

Love going when there in Dartmouth. Can't make it to the ones in other places

ECAS member

Socials held in a members house, apartment, etc is a great idea not only because its free for ecas which helps keep the costs lowered, its a great way to learn about what other members keep and see some awesome tanks.

For the people saying they cant make it certain places; I'm almost sure a lot of our members with transportation wouldn't mind carpooling. The more the merrier!

Also, Socials during the summer are a great idea because they could be held at different locations like a beach (driftwood hunting, bbq (?) rockpicking, etc) or even a local fish store (finatics perhaps?).

ECAS member Space Invaders Champion

I originally voted for retail place. But I want to change it lol

ECAS member

i think there all good ideas, would be nice to have at members homes to see other tanks, the beachcombing for driftwood and bbq idea i really like to. as far as renting a place, i think it would work if nothing else was available, but more of a last resort kinda deal.

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by NABOMB69 Click here to enlarge
    Beachcombing for driftwood and bbq idea i really like to.
    I really like that idea

Owner

BBQ is never a bad idea! I have gone to a lot of socials, both are enjoyable....in home and rented venue.

For the home, best part is seeing the tanks! And of course when there might be BBQ involved haha. But on the other hand you may be limited in space, if it is a small group of people it is a great atmosphere......if it is a large group I feel like I would be intruding someones personal space.

For rented venues, you get space.....but no tanks! I think space is very important for a social.

For stores, well I do think it is a great idea.....however the stores also have limited space. For everyone that was at last years social in Dartmouth when we all went to Finatics after........that IMO was just uncomfortable. But on the other hand you can buy stuff.....win win for ECAS members and win win for the store

While there are pros and cons to each option. My voted goes for rented venue in the end.
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

I like the idea of someones house, if they have the room for it. I would be willing to host one at my place in the valley once the weather gets nicer, we have a big old farmhouse and a nice big driveway and yard.

I also like the idea of the swap and sell socials, Im sorry I missed the last one...
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

ECAS member

I love the idea of a social. I'm game for whatever venue you all want to hold it at.

ECAS member

I would enjoy this a lot.. Hard for me to attend things like this since I work shift work of four on, and four off.

ECAS member

I rarely got to attend socials but i think someones home would be best but renting is find also i like the beach combing for drift or rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast