25 53.19%
  • Rented Venue

22 46.81%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Socials.... in a hobbyist's house or in a rented venue poll

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Convict Click here to enlarge
    That is what me and Stacey thought :)
    I agree with this logic. If you have the bodies that are willing to host them... then it makes sense, and doesn't require financial cost the same as renting a space as well.
    I'll confess I havent been to one in a while, just the timing hasent worked out. But I think its awesome to keep them going.

I disagree with having the socials in a store as not all members feel comfortable going in to certain stores for a number of reasons.
    If stores want to attend the social perfect, but I think the store as a venue might not be neutral ground.

hope this makes sense

ECAS member

Personally, I would love the idea to invite others over, but I wouldn't nearly have enough room for more than three.

As others have stated, coming over to one's house to view their aquarium, it would be a breath of fresh air for the first few days. Perhaps have volunteers to host at different times, different types of events? etc.

Having it hosted at a store would at least have the space issue resolved, but it would depend on the envrioment so it wouldn't feel like a conference meeting.

Just thinking out loud.

ECAS member

As a relative newcomer who has never been to a social I'll throw my 2-cents in...

I'd very much like to attend a social, but am not compelled to drive very far for one (unless something REALLY special/cool/of great interest to me was being shown, demoed, whatever). As far as venues, I'll be honest, having never met any of you face to face I would probably be more inclined to attend one at a "public" venue, at least initially. Its just less intimidating for the shy.

I belong to a scale model club here in Freddy which meet twice a month, one is always at someone's house, the other at either a Sobey's community room or the local hobby shop. Community rooms are free for such groups (so no need to "rent" a meeting space).

Banned

I say peoples houses with rare ones set up for a rented space so there can be small auctions or setups/shows or a special speaker and a nice bbq or something.

I agree with the person above as well there are places that will let groups like an aquarium society use their halls/rooms or whichever free of charge

ECAS member

I have not gone through all the post in this thread so not sure if these ideas have been mentioned. In Ontario I use to belong to a couple aquarium clubs. They would often have a tank or fishroom tour. Everyone would meet at a starting point then car pool together visit other peoples locations, this often ended with a dinner out or a BBQ at one of the members home. Another outing we had were aquarium store tours. The one I attended we also visited the local wholesale supplier they opened up their fishroom and allowed us to purchase fish direct from them. The stores also provided a tour discount. It was a win win for everyone and a great event. I'd be willing to coordinate something in the Halifax area if there was enough interest.

ECAS member

In the earlier years of this club,folks used to hold these gatherings in their homes and we went from home to home to see folks tanks.We used to have meetings usually monthly where we'd also have a for sale table.All of those posts are gone now(too bad there was a lot of info there).Seems to more things happening on line and computers these days and folks these days don't attend these functions.We had shopping nights when PU used to help sponsor the site,with very nice discounts.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

I would like to see if we can get people away from their computers and start having monthly meetings if anyone is interested. Maybe we can all decide on a date in a couple months and start a planning committee, we can plan out a tour, home visits and a buy & sell.?????

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blue lagoon Click here to enlarge
    In the earlier years of this club,folks used to hold these gatherings in their homes and we went from home to home to see folks tanks.We used to have meetings usually monthly where we'd also have a for sale table.All of those posts are gone now(too bad there was a lot of info there).Seems to more things happening on line and computers these days and folks these days don't attend these functions.We had shopping nights when PU used to help sponsor the site,with very nice discounts.

ECAS member

I would love to be able to actually meet with other hobbyists away from the computer. I don't really know any other people who are into this hobby so I'd love to make some friends with the common interest.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Club Supporter

Id like to meet and talk fish also and if a function was held somewhere Id try to attend. I got to attend a "Talk Fish" symposium put on by the club many years ago and it was something I will never forget, I enjoyed it so much.

My work schedule is not nice though, to put it mildly lol, but if I were free Id definitely try to go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12