Thread: Tubbin Plans

ECAS member

Tubbin Plans

I have been thinking about setting up a fish tub for the summer months for the first time. I just had a couple of questions.

1)What size and type of container would be best? Ideally I wouldn't mind if the container had a spigot on the bottom for water changes and to drain the water out at the end of the season. Here's is a possible example of what I might get http://www.agrisupply.com/poly-stock...ampaign=SSIDE/ but not necessarily that size.

2)Do I need some form of filtration or aeration? Or is the use of live plants sufficient enough?

3)What to stock it with? The average summer temps here are around 23C - 26C. Though our summers seem to be getting warmer as the years pass by.

ECAS member

I used the same size tubs when I was living in central minnesota. The summers are hotter there despite that even in full sun they never got too hot. I would not hesitate to leave them in the sun up in NL. I grew out a bunch of some Aplocheilus Lineatus killies. Put a couple of pairs in the tub and a bunch of water lettuce, java etc. and harvested a bucket full by october when the temps fell down to the 40s in the daytime. I also tried about a dozen mature Pseudomugil furcatus for 2.5 months and had more then 70 mixed size fry by the begining of september when I brought them inside. I had to put some wire mesh over my tanks to keep the birds out as they had begun to show interest. I had a wild source of daphnia, literally buckets of them for about 4 weeks and dumped them liberally in the tubs. That fattened them all up really quickly. I had a weak light a couple of feet above the killi tub and that brought in even more bugs. I had clean well water and did only one partial water change all summer plus rain. The tanks were understocked initially and had plenty of floaters so filtration was not an issue. I did catch a giant water bug who appeared well fed and had already likely made a substantial dent in the fish population. I added mosquito larvae to the tubs from a different non-fish tub that I had solely for that purpose. I do not know if dragonflys are an issue in NL but they are something to be watched out for as their larvae will eat fry. The tub could probably be a raccoon/mink buffet if they are an issue where you live. Oh I used a 100 gallon stock tub but in general the larger the tub the better in terms maintaining temperature stability. Aeration should not be an issue unless you overstock but wont hurt in either case. The tubs have a lot of surface area. A mate of mine used large gray rubber/plastic commercial rubbish cans on wheels and had a host of problems that he traced back to the containers that were not approved for ag use and had leaked or off-gassed chemicals into the water. He was a doctoral chemist at 3M and methodically tracked the problem down to the containers. So stock tanks are your best bet safety wise.

ECAS member

Thanks for the info, great timing to as summer is soon coming.............I hope lol. I would like to go with at least a 50g container but anything bigger would be great. I shouldn't have to worry about Mink as I am at least a few kilometers from the nearest body of water and there are no Racoons in NL, not yet anyway. Now I am wondering what to stock it with. I guess it would be best to keep with one species. Perhaps either some type of barb or danio.

ECAS member Snake Champion Asteroids Champion

...Quick question, do you fill it up with rain water? or would you keep rain water out?
    My parents wont let me get any more tanks

ECAS member

I used well water but filled them from the rain barrel after that point and did not try to stop rain from getting in. I did drill a little overflow hole with a screen on it so a deluge wouldnt overflow the sides.

ECAS member

I plan on doing the same. In the past I had the tub positioned so that an eves trough would flow a controlled amount of water directly into the tub. I think I will do the same thing this time around. I'll have a harder time deciding what to go with for fish.

ECAS member Snake Champion Asteroids Champion

Think a waiting pool for tiny kids would be good? or to shallow?
    My parents wont let me get any more tanks

ECAS member

I think because it is shallow the temperature may get too high. But I have seen them used before for growing out fry outside and in.

ECAS member

Here are the new additions that are destined for the tub once it warms up here..................if it ever does. Right now they are in an unheated tank with Rosey Red Minnows. There are 14 in total, with 6 males by the looks of it.
    Click here to enlarge