Thread: Bleached staghorn

Club Supporter

Bleached staghorn

I have been away for the past 8 days. My son was looking after my tank. I had a couple of staghorn frags in my tank that were well coloured when I left but on coming home, one of them is totally white. The other is still coloured but not overly bright and has no distinct white spots. I will say that I haven't seen much growth on them and am probably in need of new bulbs (two of which I have but haven't put in yet) I have had the second hand fixture for about 6 months so I'm sure it is time to replace them. It is a 48" light with 4 T5 bulbs, 2 white ones, one blue and one pink (I forget their proper names and am too lazy to get up and look). It is a 90 g.

Temp: 80
    Salinity .023-.024
    Ammonia - 0-.25
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0-5
    Ca 440
    KH 12

Note that the ranges for the parameters is because I sometimes can't discern which colour it is, usually somewhere in between. I have yet to do my wc, which will be done tomorrow. I don't dose for anything, so nothing being added

My son did say the lights were probably on more than they should have and I also note a green algae bloom on the sand and the two patches of hair algae I have growing seems to have grown as well. I'm wondering if maybe it got too much light as the one that is all white is higher in the tank than the other one. I also note that my bubble tip anemone isn't very bright or flowy and the foot on it is almost white (it's a little sad looking).

So, any input would help. Is it possible to save my staghorn? To be honest, none of my corals are looking their best but nothing seems to be off to me by a large amount.
    Last edited by Celidh; 03-15-2014 at 02:17 AM. Reason: added light info

Club Supporter

Anyone?

ECAS member

Parameters look good. My salinity is 1.025 but yours still should be ok. I would say it is a lighting issue especially if your getting extra algae growth. Once you get your tank back in order I will give you a new piece of stag to try.
    90 gallon Discus community
    65 gallon tall SW under construction to be setup this fall

Club Supporter

Yeah, lighting is the only thing I could come up with. My salinity is usually .024-.025 but I didn't mix up quite enough salt water on the last change before I left because I took more water out then normal.

ECAS member

be a safe to blame it on the lighting. i have the same issue, mine is too high up and when i was playing with my LED adjustments i notices after a few days it was to bight and it went all white. i did some googling and came up with a few people asking the same questions and the answers were always the same.

ECAS member

You should maybe look into timers for your lights then they come on automatically and shut off automatically and no worries about too much photo period.
    Crazy fish lady
    108 gallon mixed reef
    66 gallon fresh water

ECAS member

I know at Walmart they had timer power strips for sale. They were on sale when I got mine a few days ago. On sale for $12 but the cash said use a $15 coupon:p after all I got they owed me 7 cents:p

Club Supporter

Thanks for the info guys but I have actually shut this tank down and switched it back to fw. All I'm left with for sw is a little 8g nano.