Thread: Blue rams in a Dirted Tank

Club Supporter

Blue rams in a Dirted Tank

I'm setting up a new 30 gal. fw community tank and would like to have two blue rams as part of the community. However the tank will be dirted . Will the rams dig too much and upset the dirt and plants. I have a 10 gal heavily planted dirt tank up and running right now and I like the look and the low tech nature of the set up. ( six serpae tetras )
    I haven't kept cichlids too often over the years but would like these smaller more peaceful ones in the 30.
    So ....the rams.....is it too risky or ok for the 30 gal? And should I keep just one ram ...a pair or more.

Super Moderator

My rams really don't dig. Ever. I would keep a pair, as you will see more interesting behaviour. Keep in mind, some are very shy, others are very bossy; pick tankmates who are mild mannered but not skittish. Also, for good health Blue Rams need high temps, so make sure your tank mate selections are ok with that!

Club Supporter

Thanks for your input.....think I'll get my Blue Rams. I was thinking about a school of Neons or Cardinals and maybe some Cherry Barbs and Otos and lots of plants. Sound ok with the rams ?

ECAS member

I have my rams in with black neons and ember tetras and they get along perfect. It even makes the rams more active and relaxed. So I think they would be ok with the fish you listed.

Super Moderator

I wouldn't add cherry barbs, but it could work. The Neons and Cardinals and Otos should be fine.

Club Supporter

I had cherry barbs with Rams with no problems, they aren't very typical when it comes to barb behaviour and are a lot more like a tetra. I bred them a few times, and while the odd time the males did chase one another it was nothing major. If you have plants, males will typically hang out in the plants and the females will just sort of bumble around the tank.

I even kept multiple species of rams together with no issues. But, every fish is different so one does have to keep that in mind. I kept all sorts of things with mine.. Rummynose tetras, cardinal tetras, cherry barbs, harlequin rasboras, threadfin rainbows and more.

Rams with a male cherry
    Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

i had 7 rams at one point in dirted sand capped no issues at all. one of my favourite fresh water fish actually

Club Supporter

Thank you all for your input . It's so great to have a resource like this forum to get advice and support from experienced fish keepers. I'll get going with the set up and let you know how I make out.Thanks again.