Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Success at last ! Channa Aurantimaculata Born in CANADA!

ECAS member

Yes Sir and away we go!!!

ECAS member

awesome man ive had my fingers crossed for this for a while now!!! amazing news congrats! couldn't be happier....well I could if I was you! but im not so yup SUPER NEWS!!

Owner

Congrats Devon :) Such beautiful fish and a great accomplishment! Can't wait for more updates :)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

ECAS member

Holy wow that is a mission impossible well done !!! Congrats!!

ECAS member

Good job devon, beauitful snakeheads and well done accomplishing the almost impossible, congratulations

Super Moderator

Unfortunatly last night while updating a post my computer shorted out and is fried... So updates will be without pics for a couple weeks .

As for the fry they are still tiny but have doubbled in size already and I can now make out eyes on them. Also although he's still guarding his cloud of fry it also seems the male is holding again.

At this point I'm not sure if they bred again today, if he just hasnt released them all, or if the male allows fry to come and go ? I'll be watching closley to find out though!

Owner

When I started reading your last post:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DevonC Click here to enlarge
    Unfortunatly last night ........
    I thought you were going to say all the babies were gone! Glad to hear they are still good and even doubled in size! Very interesting that the male is holding again.....maybe they allow them to come and go, or maybe you have more......either way, very cool :)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

Club Supporter

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Staceym Click here to enlarge
    When I started reading your last post:

I thought you were going to say all the babies were gone! Glad to hear they are still good and even doubled in size! Very interesting that the male is holding again.....maybe they allow them to come and go, or maybe you have more......either way, very cool :)
    I thought the same thing as Stacey. Glad to hear it was your computer and not your fry!! LOL

Super Moderator

Ha ha ha , oops I didnt even think of how that would look!

As for the mystery its solved , he was not holding last night when i checked , this morning when i turned on the lights they scattered a bit and daddy collected them up.

So if they stray too far from the group or if something stresses the male he'll gather them up for protection .

ECAS member

awesome great news, i remember when my kribs had fry and the momma one was scooping them up in her mouth and moving them back in the cave, i know most of you would know better but i thought she was eating them at first, then when i realized what they were doing i was pretty fascinated for days watching them catch fry and spit them out in a pile, little off topic, but it was pretty neat to watch.

Super Moderator

Its really neat to watch parental behaviour in any fish ! I've seen a mbuna release fry to eat then gather them up one time but have never seen anything like this.

The male is very active on keeping them rounded up if they venture too far away from the rest. Also noticed that unlike cichlids he doesn't spit out fry , He releases them through his gills which is interesting to watch especially when he has a few hundred in his mouth and they all come out together.

ECAS member

wow that would be some neat to see all them fry pouring out his gills, i never heard of nothing like that before, then again i never knew some cichlids even held them in there mouth till the last year..... on another note, i gotta 110 gal tank i was thinking about going subtropical so i dont have to heat it in the basement, was planning south american cichlids, but, im gonna have to seriously look into snakeheads, the more i see them the more interested they seem,

Super Moderator

Just a quick update , Still no more pics uploaded but they are doing well. They are all about 1/2" now and very active. They now look like mini snakeheads with heads,fins and tails. Also have developed their dark black and gold stripes.

Hopefully I will have pics online soon!

Super Moderator Chopper Challenge Champion

Good to hear

Super Moderator

Fantastic news! I am so glad they are still doing well.

ECAS member

What awesome looking fish and so neat to have bread them. Too cool.

ECAS member

Very cool, congrats man!
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

ECAS member

I check this thread every day hoping for pictures!! Can't wait to see all the little babies.
    66 gallon planted community

ECAS member

me to, i got a computer u can use if you need to upload pics, i just want to see already hahaha

Super Moderator

Just another quick update , had my first ever fight between the pair today. Everyone is fine, I did not see the fight but both adults have nice bite marks on there faces and backs.

The male is now patrolling the left side of the tank keeping the swarm of babies there and not allowing the female to cross the half way mark.

Very little damage was done.Surprisingly no ripped fins or scales lost, just very obvious bite makrs in the slime coat on both of them so it should heal in no time.

The female has been very active and hungry which I think is what triggered the fight. She shows no interest in eating babies but the male seems intent on keeping her away just in case.

The violence seems over for now. I suspect it was just one quick fight to show her she's not allowed near the fry any more. If she tries to cross over to the left side of the tank the male puffs up and flares like I've never seen before ! She flares back just as impressively but also retreats back to her side of the tank.

I have to say i'm VERY glad i moved them into the 6' tank when i did. I think if they were still in the 4' tank things would have gotten much more violent between them. For now I'm going to leave them together and have increased feedings to match the females appetite. If another fight breaks out I may drop in a divider to separate them.

Also tomorrow im starting to feed bloodworms for the fry as they seem to have already cleaned out most of the snails and other microfauna in the tank!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast