Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Success at last ! Channa Aurantimaculata Born in CANADA!

ECAS member

Glad the fight is over and the fry are doing well. Honestly, can't wait for this thread to go to page 3, I hate scrolling down and reading "Unfortunatly last night...." I keep thinking it's a new post with bad news until I keep scrolling.
    Looking forward to photos when you can!
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

ECAS member

Congrats man will definetly be watching this thread

Super Moderator

I am so glad to hear things are still going well! I hope the pair remains good with each other.

ECAS member

ahhhh love AND marriage then comes the children. how many couples haven't had a fight or two about the raising of the children. ;) he seems to care for his brood. maybe he knows how special this birth is.
    But it wasn't my fault teacher, my fish ate my homework

Super Moderator

we've made it to page 3 ! Lol

I decided to drop a divider in this evening. They have had several little fights , last one left them with some ripped fins and a chunk of scales missing off the males head. Still minor damage in terms of snakehead fights but i dont want to push my luck, it too to long to get a pair to risk it !

The Divider is eggcrate so the babies can still migrate through but it stops the adults from fighting over them. The Female is not pleased with me, she does not like me messing with her decore let alone blocking off half her home. The male on the other hand seems Very happy , as soon as it went up he became relaxed and is just hanging mid water in a cloud of fry !

The fry are now pounding back bloodworms. Interestingly the male was eating the bloodworm at first when the fry did not recgonize it as food, but now that they swarm for it he doesnt touch the bloodworm at all and lets the fry eat.

Super Moderator

Haha, what a devoted dad! Good to hear that everything continues to go well.

Owner

How cool is that, Daddy showing them how its done :) Thats too bad that they were fighting, but at least you got the divider in there before it got any worse! I am sure Mama will forgive you.....in time ;)
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

Super Moderator

I finally whitnesses the female egg feeding early yesterday morning. Although all fry are now eating bloodworms and crushed pellets they still gladly except the eggs as well.

They migrate across for eggs in the mornings then return to the male after feeding.

When feeding the fry the female balls up just like when breeding and releases hundreds of eggs. I snapped a pic so eventually i'll be able to show it here lol

ECAS member

WOW ! that sounds so cool would love to see that .

Super Moderator

Hi everyone time for another update,

Both parents have fully recovered from their injuries , the divider is still up but they no longer flare at eachother through it.

Juvies are now 2months old and ~2-3", i'll be starting to sell some of them soon. They are starting to show there patterns now and are eating pellets greedily. The main diet currently is NLS pellets but they'll eat anything that hits the water.

I also started to spot some canabalism about a week ago among the juvies. A
    few of them had fallen behind in growth and fell prey to the larger ones.

The tank is starting to have trouble with the bio load so I picked up an 8' 30" deep pool for them. I'm Setting it up this weekend but running it a few days fish free to see where the temps sit. I expect it'll be fine but If its too warm for them then aro/dat/bichirs/frt get a summer home and theyll get the bigger tank.

ECAS member

wow! I had no idea of this! congrats dude! that's really awesome for you I will definitely be looking for one for sure, very cool
    x2 Giant snakeheads, x5 armatus, 2x spotted African lungfish, 3X TATF, ornate bichir, florida gar, MBU puffer, 2 indo dats, 2 spotted daemon, silver arowana. WTB: goliath! - electric eel

ECAS member

Devon,

First CONGRATS on the little ones !!! This is awesome. Did you figure out how to spark the mating ?

FYI: The fighting is normal and do not separate them. If you do, when you remove the divider they will be like total stranger and things will go bad !
    I have had the same thing with my Channa Gachuas.

They fight to know who will take care of the babies and it's normal.
    Let them fight and figure it out by themself.

My female was badly hurt but she was back to normal within a week.

Also avoid any medication in the water, i tried using some Melafix and as soon as i would put that in the water my couple would go in a raging fight. I had to do multiple water change to remove the medication.

Super Moderator

Thanks. Yes i figured out how to trigger breeding I have known that part for a while, its not my first pair to breed just the first to survive it lol

The divider was eggcrate so they could still "flare and fight" through it and babies would choose a side but they seem fine now i dont expect problems going forward!

Some babies have now been sold more orders going out thus weekend if anyones interested check out my ad before its too late.

I also placed a small test group in the 800g outdoor pool this week to see how they do before moving the rest in. They should grow fast in that !

Super Moderator

Just another update , all but about 30-40 babies were moved outside (coupdnt catch them lol).I lost a half dozen to jumping before i realized the flaw in my lid , about 12 had escape but half had crawled under a tarp folded next to the pool and survived , the 5-6 that ventured into the sun were not so lucky.

Inside i hadnt seen my male in 2-3 days , not unusual but today i spotted him side by side with his female on her side with the remaining babies swarmed aroubd them, i guess he found a way past the divider and they are both looking quite happy togeter and no fights !!!

Lifting that divider was a my final big hurtel to get past and now clearly not going to be a problem !

Now my debate is on wether i should keep the pair together inside or move them out to the pond with the brood !

ECAS member

little houdinis! Wow! Glad you noticed it!
    |Discus|Angelfish|Cardinal Tetras|
    "When in doubt, do a water change."

ECAS member

Outside you are not worried about predators ?

No pics yet ?

Super Moderator

Nope sorry still no pics uploaded ... One of these days I'll get them on here lol

As for preds im not worried. I live in town and the pool is completly covered
    in a fenced in backyard.

I have no raccoons around here and the cover should keep eagles out.

however there are 40+ still inside with the parents just in case.

Super Moderator

Long over due update!

I still have no computer but I used a cell to snap a few pics.

I'll have better pics as well as a whole series showing them growing from day one once i get a computer to get them off the camera. until then here are a few to satisfy everyones curiosity.

They are now 4 months old and just came back inside from the outdoor pond last night because out nights are getting cold. Water temps were getting down to 65ish at nights, it didn't seem to bother them but i didn't want to push my luck!

Average size is around 4", a few as small as 2" and as big as 6".

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

ECAS member

Very cool!
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

Super Moderator

They are beautiful! Wonderful job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast