Thread: I think my 55 gallon is bowing slowly.

ECAS member

Unhappy I think my 55 gallon is bowing slowly.

Click here to enlarge
    Exactly 12 inches! This is the middle of my tank, while...

Click here to enlarge
    11.. I think 5/8th, I forget how to read the tape measure that small... This is the edge of my tank, it's bowing out in the middle I think.

I found this out while I was trying to slide the glass panel onto the tank to give it a hood to reduce evaporation.
    Click here to enlarge
    Too bad it doesn't fit correctly.. I have two panels that could cover the majority of it.

The two other panels used on the spare tank, fits well.
    Click here to enlarge

Unless if the plastic rim is just defective or made improperly, I would like to hear your guy's opinion on the matter. Thanks.

ECAS member

How old is the tank (not how long have you had it!)? It looks like the plastic trim has aged and is not longer providing the relevant support the tank needs. Correcting the problem will require you making a bracing bar for the top of the tank. Google euro bracing for aquariums and you should find more than enough information online

Club Supporter

That's too bad to hear. About the measuring tape, I cheated and bought one that has the small measurements labelled in fractions on it. Mastercraft from Canadian Tire, it goes on sale quite often for less than $10. LOL

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hugh Click here to enlarge
    How old is the tank (not how long have you had it!)? It looks like the plastic trim has aged and is not longer providing the relevant support the tank needs. Correcting the problem will require you making a bracing bar for the top of the tank. Google euro bracing for aquariums and you should find more than enough information online
    I would need to ask my step father about that, but I'm pretty sure it's older than ten years. I'll check that out shortly, thanks.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Celidh Click here to enlarge
    That's too bad to hear. About the measuring tape, I cheated and bought one that has the small measurements labelled in fractions on it. Mastercraft from Canadian Tire, it goes on sale quite often for less than $10. LOL
    Lucky you. :-p I'll be looking that up shortly as well.

ECAS member

Forgot to add that you should reduce the water level to reduce any stress on the glass

Club Supporter

What Hugh said.

You'll have to euro brace it, and until you get it braced you will have to reduce the water volume before you have a catastrophic failure.

ECAS member

Well that sucks.. I'll need to modify my HoB filter somehow to get the water down without slamming my crypts, or even get the water up.

Edit: And Hugh, the tank is apparently about 25 years old.

ECAS member

For you to modify you hob filter so it wont hurt your plants put some type of sponge or even on of those colodful pot scrubbies would work because it would absourb all the fall of the water I think the current of the filter would keep the pot scrubby/sponge in place if not take a peice of fish line and tie it to the pot scrubby (make sure its a low test so it would be thinner and you couldnt see it as well) tie the other end to either a suction cup or maybe use a small bag of pebbles and tie the fish fishing line to it also you could get some kind of plant to climb up the fish line (not sure if this will work for you but I thought id put it out there)

ECAS member

I do have sponges in my possession that can easily slow the water dripping out. It's just how low I need to take the water level down before the tank stops bowing, or if it's been bowing the entire time which worries me. Such as adding a piece of glass in to slide the water down instead of straight down, I'll be testing to see how it goes. I can't get too much water out sadly because I'm pretty sure my larger angelfish would become a bit stressed because the lack of room. Can't put them into the other 20 gallon since it's still going through it's nutrient spikes, and apparently extremely high PH. Either way, I'll find a way. Worse case scenario, I'll sell the large angelfish, and possibly the others.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Illusionist Click here to enlarge
    I do have sponges in my possession that can easily slow the water dripping out. It's just how low I need to take the water level down before the tank stops bowing, or if it's been bowing the entire time which worries me. Such as adding a piece of glass in to slide the water down instead of straight down, I'll be testing to see how it goes. I can't get too much water out sadly because I'm pretty sure my larger angelfish would become a bit stressed because the lack of room. Can't put them into the other 20 gallon since it's still going through it's nutrient spikes, and apparently extremely high PH. Either way, I'll find a way. Worse case scenario, I'll sell the large angelfish, and possibly the others.
    Sometimes removing an inch to an inch and half is all you need to reduce the pressure.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Hugh Click here to enlarge
    Sometimes removing an inch to an inch and half is all you need to reduce the pressure.
    I hope so, I'll have my fingers crossed..!

ECAS member

Update: Took at least 1/3rd of the water out, it has definitely took stress out of the tank! Now it's about 2/16th off from being same from middle to end.
    Click here to enlarge
    I think it'll be fine in the meantime till I get some type of brace to keep it from bowing, or just use the tank as a sump in the future.

ECAS member

That is where bracing comes in. My 210 has x2 braces... But it is 6ft long. That being said... Consider it a bowfront. They go for more money!

not bad for a 25 year old tank. I would just buy a new one. False economy to keep it due to failure risk.

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge
    This should hold out till I get my new tank... Looks a bit sad, but it works in my case. The tank hasn't budged so far with it.

ECAS member

If the tank is 25 years old and its a Hagen tank , which it looks to be, then its fine. The glass is thick enough that it does not need any bracing and the frame is nothing more than decoration....it does not supply any support and it sure doesn't get old. It was quite normal for these tanks to bow slightly in the middle. The 108 and 130's bowed almost 5/8" in the middle.
    That clamp you have on there is adding a pressure point and that's dangerous....take it off

PS the only reason all the newer tanks have bracing is that they are being made with thinner glass, to keep costs down. Measure the thickness of your tank and then a newer one
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Cheap bowfront...maybe cheap carpet shampoo soon also..
    500 gallon fowlr tank

Scrubber lover #2

ECAS member

My 77 gallon doesn't even have a frame. The canopy sits around the top of the glass.
    Paige
    77 Gal: 3 clown loach, 5 BNP, 2 Bolivian rams, 5 angelfish
    20 Gallon:
    15 Gallon:

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Graham Click here to enlarge
    If the tank is 25 years old and its a Hagen tank , which it looks to be, then its fine. The glass is thick enough that it does not need any bracing and the frame is nothing more than decoration....it does not supply any support and it sure doesn't get old. It was quite normal for these tanks to bow slightly in the middle. The 108 and 130's bowed almost 5/8" in the middle.
    That clamp you have on there is adding a pressure point and that's dangerous....take it off

PS the only reason all the newer tanks have bracing is that they are being made with thinner glass, to keep costs down. Measure the thickness of your tank and then a newer one
    Okay, I just though tanks larger than 55 needed a center brace to help support it. I guess I need to learn my aquarium tank brands and the differences between them all.

ECAS member

Older tanks used thicker glass....there was no need for cross braces or Euro bracing. My 160 was 7' long and I used 3/8" with a number of braces across the top...it didn't bow length wise but bowed top to bottom by about 1/4"....its still running 32 years later...who bought it from Renota??
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Hah, fair enough.

I think it's fair to consider this topic finished, the tank should be fine after all. Thanks guys for helping me clear my perception about tanks with no braces.. and my tank in particular.