Thread: Local

ECAS member

Local

Hey guys Luke here and wondering if you guys have heard of building a local mud trout tank or possibly a local salt water tank!! id love to have both and i think the mud trout tank would take off quickly and i would have a lot of progress with growth,,, It probably would prove difficult to breed but i mean the idea is only a fetus yet haha it would be awesome if i could go out in the ole boat and catch a dandy sculpin with some fire red and yellow to have in the local saltwater!!! Apparently with anything that needs cooling like that the best option would be looking into some type of condenser for the tank?? If anyone has any ideas or knows anyone who has done this or wants to try it let me know id love to talk more about it!!
    ~~Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance~~

Club Supporter

Depends on local laws.

I would check what the local NFLD laws are WRT keeping native species.

ECAS member

I checked and it doesnt look like there is anything outstanding on the subject i know lots of people who have tried the mud trout idea and brown trout idea and they seemed to have mighty success without any issues from the newfoundland wildlife!! The ocean tank is somethng i would have to look into though i was looking into the newfoundland wildlife guide and found nothing of the sorts!! only trapping and hunting licenses and some blue-green algae write ups and things of that nature....do you know of a place that would give me better details on conservation?

Club Supporter

Department of Fisheries and Oceans

Just remember native species require cool tanks. Might even require a chiller.

ECAS member

I'm an appliance technician and I'm thinking about using a fridge condenser with the exit line either dipped into the water or wrapped around or ran along the back of the tank I can just rig up the adjustable thermostat to it and make sure it's regulating precise temperature

Club Supporter

It would be a neat project.

ECAS member

definatley and if i come up with a good demo ill def post the details becasue that twenty year old fridge sitting on kijiji for nothing and a sign saying take me could be your answer to your chilling problems haha so im definatley going to mess around in the back of the shop and see if i can get a condenser going haha