Thread: Satelite led freshwater lights

ECAS member

Satelite led freshwater lights

Has anyone use these and what are the pros and cons. I am thinking of led lights and I am very green on the subject any help to guide me in the right direction would be a great help. Thanks
    64 gal bowfront community,46 gal bowfront community tank, 40 gal. bowfront tetra,angelfish 33 gal live bearing
    tank, 20 gal holding tank

ECAS member

I have both Current USA Satellite LED Plus and Marineland double bright.If you like gimmicks,you'll love the Current fixture,with all it's spectrum settings and the thunder storm and cloudy day affects.The Marineland has a shimmery affect on top the water if you have surface water movement.Both are light and stream lined.Leds are cheaper to run.Basically that's the pros.These two fixtures are not much good for a planted tank,altho some plants just might hang in there.When you get to the $400 range ,you're getting in the plant lights.
    I like discus cause discus like me.

ECAS member

I cannot comment on marineland, double brights, but in another forum someone had both and far preferred the Current LED+. Brighter, and far more light settings.

I have a current LED+ 48-60. Love it. PROS (compared to fluorescent): Compact, light, quiet, low temps, low power usage, very bright (more than enough for my 210gallon tank), wireless remote, fully customizable LEDs with 4 memory buttons for your custom lighting settings. There are multiple static lighting presets, which are good also. Finally, there are multiple lighting "programs" as mentioned above. Sunrise, cloudy day, thunder storm, etc. Some are pretty cool (moonlight fluctuates in intensity in a gentle fashion), some are more subtle, and some (like thunderstorm, are a good party trick, but I doubt you will ever really use it.

CONS: Cost. You can only attach to on-off timers... not timers that allow a slow fade in/out of light that are used with simpler non-programmable LEDs (Marineland double bright, and base Current LEDs). I can not think of other cons.

Mind you, I will take fully customizable lighting spectrum over the ability to buy timers that allow fade in and fade out, any day... and by having a customizable light spectrum, you save on buying tons of expensive bulbs trying to get the perfect lighting. I really have no bone to pick with these lights. I would buy them again without question. They really were a revelation in aquarium lighting for me.

I have no idea is they are any good for plants as I have rock a dwelling african cichlid tank without plants, and historically I had a brown thumb (with fluorescent).

ECAS member

If you wait a bit, Exoxotic is putting out an LED light which almost (but not quite) is the equivalent of the Current USA LED+ which is 24-hour programmable. The one thing I don't like about my LED+ is I have to put it on a separate timer. Not sure if/when it will be avail in Canada, but now that they have it designed it's only a matter of time.

ECAS member

Wanna buy a 48"-60" Current USA LED + fixture.Used a couple weeks.Looking to get $180.00.Great for non planted tanks.
    I like discus cause discus like me.