Thread: Algae just won't quit!

ECAS member

Algae just won't quit!

This stuff comes back all the time and won't go away, any ideas?Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Owner

What kinda of algae is it? Red Cyano?
    ..` A woman needs a man like a fish needs a net. ..`

Club Supporter

Those pictures are kinda crappy (no offence of course), so I am not quite sure what I am looking at... Could you post some better ones?

ECAS member

I fully agree, when I put them on they because a lot darker. Here is another, I think they might just be diatomsClick here to enlarge

Club Supporter

It does look like some diatoms, but it also looks like there is some stringy bits of stuff in the middle which could be cyano. I would vacuum that out, looks like you have a coarse enough substrate you should be able to vacuum it out with an airhose with no problems.

ECAS member

hey guys, thanks for the help but no luck with vacuuming it up, that only churns it around and its back in minutes. do you guys think it will go away on its own? the tank is still only 3 months old so it could be still cycling? any ideas is greatly appreciated!

ECAS member

What size tank, what return pump (if sumped) and what powerheads do you have? 90% of the time, an algae outbreak in a particular spot tends to mean lack of/inadequate flow. Try reconfiguring your powerheads. In the saltwater world, outside of your chems, flow is the hardest to get dialed in just right.
    33g Planted Tank, Dual T5HO (6500k/actinic blue), Fluval C3 "sponge/floss stuffed" HOB filter, Eco-complete capping Red Sea Flora substrate.