Thread: Local Hermit Crabs

ECAS member

Local Hermit Crabs

I have recently been getting into Snorkling etc, and have noticed a ton of hermit crabs, I was wondering if the ones around here are reef safe, further more if they would even survive in warmer water(I'm guessing not right now), ditto for the starfish since I have been seeing them too!

And perhaps most importantly what is the rules and regs regarding them, ie are we allowed to take a starfish and then continue to raise it in our tanks?

Side note: If you haven't gone diving/snorkeling around here yet you definitely should look into it!

Since I can assume a fascination with the aquatic is already in place for you, going diving/snorkeling will blow your mind! Think of it like getting to shrink down and go inside a giant fish tank! We don't have much in the way of pretty corals, but there is a ton of livestock! (Just don't go in Halifax harbor there are plenty of other places! :P )

ECAS member

I was diving in jamaica a couple years ago, got my advanced open water cert through padi. If anyone is thinking about diving, the carribbean is definately the place to learn, very relaxed (like the rest of jamaica ha ha). I would love to dive here locally, but its been hard to find a diving partner, none of my friends here dive. Would love to get a scallop licence and go fill a cooler with those babies :)
    125g. Jaguar pair.... 75g. Jaguar male....
    45g. L002 Pleco pair.... 30g. Danios....
    55g. Iridescent shark.... 33g. Marble crayfish....
    6x20g. Shrimp/Guppies/Breeding/Fry....

ECAS member

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MoxVoid Click here to enlarge
    I have recently been getting into Snorkling etc, and have noticed a ton of hermit crabs, I was wondering if the ones around here are reef safe, further more if they would even survive in warmer water(I'm guessing not right now), ditto for the starfish since I have been seeing them too!

And perhaps most importantly what is the rules and regs regarding them, ie are we allowed to take a starfish and then continue to raise it in our tanks?

Side note: If you haven't gone diving/snorkeling around here yet you definitely should look into it!

Since I can assume a fascination with the aquatic is already in place for you, going diving/snorkeling will blow your mind! Think of it like getting to shrink down and go inside a giant fish tank! We don't have much in the way of pretty corals, but there is a ton of livestock! (Just don't go in Halifax harbor there are plenty of other places! :P )
    Leave the locals to a local tank...temps are wrong and they generally carry bugs that tropicals have no defence against...seen too many disasters
    5000 gallon koi pond, 2500 & 750 gallon holding tanks,

ECAS member

Ive actually wondered if anyone keeps local species saltwater tanks, and if the live fish regulations apply to marine species. Ive always thought it would be neat to have a coldwater salt tank, with urchins, mussels, crabs, scallops, maybe a few small fish of some kind...

Club Supporter

You would need a chiller and keeping native species is usually illegal.

ECAS member

Wonder if that applies to marine species though. Its not like you can move them to another ocean...

ECAS member

Seems like the conclusion is roughly what I thought! That being said next time I go I will pull a couple up and take pictures of them before putting them back just so you can see what we have lurking around here! Haha.