Thread: Question for JMorash

ECAS member

Question for JMorash

Instead of a PM, i thought i would post like this in case anyone else has any info.

Hi JMorash, you posted this to JayP "JayP, Don't do it man, Channa will no longer be imported to Canada". Can you elaborate on this. I am planning a reno of my garage with these type of fish in mind. Your comment worries me a bit. Say it ain't so!

ECAS member

Many things are imported daily that are against the law, so when it comes time they ban ALL snakeheads trust me, they will still be for sale in Canada lol. Plus, when they give the announcement many suppliers and serious keepers will bring in many. Jay's are the only ones around though! and they kickass so I suggest if you are considering some, get them!
    x2 Giant snakeheads, x5 armatus, 2x spotted African lungfish, 3X TATF, ornate bichir, florida gar, MBU puffer, 2 indo dats, 2 spotted daemon, silver arowana. WTB: goliath! - electric eel

ECAS member

I would've bought them right away if I had the tank ready. At the rate I'm going now it will be December before I'm ready.

Super Moderator

Its a myth , there is nothing illigal about importing channa to canada , no laws against it. Channa Striata is the only species that cannot be imported under the new laws.

That roumer has been floating around for years because of bana in the US as well as ontario , Quebec and most recently BC. This does make importing difficult because many flights travel through those provinces and many large wholesalers are in these places but its legal as long as they clear customs else were in one of the other provinces.

Although with that said as more research is done into the wild habitates and populations it is likly that more abd more will earn protective status due to over fishing to supply the fish trade. Hopefully by then more people will be working to breed them!

Club Supporter

Rolle has a tank full of juvies, so if the problem become serious, I'll have to stuff my pants full and come over... :)

Super Moderator

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by muvinbird Click here to enlarge
    Rolle has a tank full of juvies, so if the problem become serious, I'll have to stuff my pants full and come over... :)
    So do I ! Id guess 200+ Aurantimaculata in my take currently ! And several other pairs of other species that will likly produce fry next year ! I also plan to get 3-4 more species added to my collection when the season rolls around. All in groups to form breeding pairs !

ECAS member

Ok. I had read the rumors a few times, it was just that his statement sounded more definate. DevonC, I'm guessing you replied from your phone, are you still having comp problems?

Super Moderator

Yup still living computer free, with summer here im in less of a rush to replace it since i spend most of my time outdoors.